Christina Holmes for The New York Times. Lightly spritz meatballs with cooking spray. Now I’m kicking myself for not thinking of it before!! Stir in the remaining garlic, wine, cayenne and the remaining 1/4 … My kids really love those veggies too, so it was a great choice for us. Subscribe now for full access. baking dish that you can put on the table. Do you know I have never thought of using lamb in meatballs – Definitely going to now as the Peachicks LOVE lamb. Wow, Chef John, you are my new HERO. We will definitely be making these again very soon!! Info. Form lamb mixture into 5cm meatballs and place on the prepared tray. Tasty Easy Fun’ website: Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. It is a bit time consuming but WELL WORTH IT. Back to Little Lamb Meatballs in a Spicy Eggplant Tomato Sauce. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. But the best thing about these meatballs was the reaction my kids gave them. It’s much easier than trying to chop the onion up finely and means no nasty chunks of uncooked onion in the finished result – just great tasting meatballs! Whisk bread crumbs, egg, and Greek yogurt in a large bowl until the bread crumbs absorb all the liquid, about 3 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. It’s a big favourite in this house – my kids love it! The slightly spicy eggplant tomato sauce exceptionally distinguishes this dish from a traditional marinara sauce. Whilst I usually cook with lamb on a regular basis, I’m not sure I’ve ever made lamb meatballs before, so I was keen to give these a go. Combine the meatballs, tomato sauce, chicken stock, fresh mint and chilli flakes in a large saucepan over medium heat. Discard bay leaves, and serve meatballs and sauce … Place beneath the broiler, pepper to taste, 42 Recipes for When You’re In The Mood for Red Meat. I am transported back to the time I lived in Turkey. Wanted to offer adventuresome guests an alternative from standard meatballs and sauce and these lamb meatballs did the trick. Stir in chicken broth and marinara sauce. All three of my kids have had seconds. Crumble lamb into bread crumb spice mixture; stir in cayenne pepper. NYT Cooking is a subscription service of The New York Times. 178 calories; protein 13g 26% DV; carbohydrates 14g 5% DV; dietary fiber 2g 8% DV; sugars 4g; fat 7g 11% DV; saturated fat 2g 10% DV; cholesterol 35mg 12% DV; vitamin a iu 236IU 5% DV; vitamin c 9mg 15% DV; folatemcg; calcium 38mg 4% DV; iron 2mg 11% DV; magnesiummg; potassium 333mg 9% DV; sodium 275mg 11% DV; thiaminmg. You can’t beat how pretty this dish is and it tastes like a million dollars. until the sauce is bubbling and the If you're looking for something different, this is truly outstanding. Source: EatingWell Magazine, March/April 2007. Awesome These were delicious. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes over I only had ground turkey on hand so I used that instead of lamb but it was still incredible! I thought it would take longer to make than it actually did, but to speed up the process for next time, I'll make the meatballs ahead of time and put them in the freezer for a quick meal. Jump on the latest food trend with our step-by-step guide to making hot chocolate bombs. Grease a baking pan with olive Add the remaining 1/2 cup onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze pot with 1 cup water, cooking 2 minutes over medium heat and stirring to loosen browned particles. The meatballs are then fried in olive oil. Meanwhile, make the sauce. I thought they had just enough heat - I wouldn't have added any more cayenne. Yum – mint and feta in meatballs sound amazing – I can just imagine that with a lovely north african inspired tomato sauce, featuring lots of cumin…goodness I am feeling hungry now! The meatballs tasted wonderful and so did the sauce. Pour the tomato sauce into a large this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Despite adding more garlic and some fresh mint I felt the recipe lacked any wow factor, even with grated strong cheese sprinkled on. Soak bread crumbs until milk is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil. Nutrition Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? LOL! Deglaze pot with 1 cup water, cooking 2 minutes over medium heat and stirring to loosen browned particles. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor into coarse crumbs. I’ll definitely be using that tip again. Something went wrong. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. It is a bit time consuming but WELL WORTH IT. Hi Ali, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy this recipe as much as you had hoped. Here's why we should all lean in harder and embrace our comfort-food cravings. But I guess we all have different tastes! As the simple, spicy tomato sauce bubbled away, I got going on some Spanish-style lamb meatballs. season it aggressively with salt Preheat broiler. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). I didn't make it too spicy, but everything else I did as written. We really liked the taste. Shape into 48 little meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and bay Today I am sharing with you my review of one of the delicious recipes from the ‘LAMB. I added a little extra salt and red pepper. Combine lamb, turkey, breadcrumbs, egg white, 1/2 cup onion, half the garlic, 2 tablespoons mint, coriander, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. A side shaker of grated Pecorino Romano cheese added another level of outstanding flavor to those choosing to use it. My daughter meanwhile wanted to know if she could make these meatballs with me next time (unusual as she normally only ever wants to make cake!) I am THRILLED because THIS captures the taste of our Adana kebab that I loved so much! The fresh mint was a really great addition. Info. Meanwhile, roughly chop the small onion, then place in a food processor. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes or until your pasta is ready. Bring to the boil. Mine went absolutely mad for these meatballs – I was totally bowled over, they never normally compliment my savoury food, EVER! Simmer over medium-low heat until the wine has reduced significantly, 3 to 5 minutes. Their favourite is a slow cooked lamb breast but I think the tomato sauce & pasta of this might just sway them! 1 (5.25-ounce) box tabbouleh mix, minus spice packet, ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons mint. I decided to take a bite of one of the meatballs and OMG! These lamb meatballs include cinnamon and mint for a particularly Mediterranean flavor to an already aromatic and thoroughly delicious dish. They were easy to prepare and tasted really fresh and delicious. No me neither, until I tried this recipe! third. He's been over here sneeking bites and "hangin' around" while I am trying to get this thing done and on the table! putting them about ½ inch from each Roll into balls roughly the size of a £2 coin and place on a baking sheet covered in baking parchment or foil (or just greased with a little olive oil). The quantity of sauce seemed well proportioned given that we didn t serve this over pasta or rice. leaf and sauté until the onions are Offers may be subject to change without notice. Amazing! Adapted from ‘‘The A.O.C. If you're looking for something different, this is truly outstanding. Thank you so much for sharing x, Thanks Corina I nearly fell off my chair when my kids started praising my food – that never happens unless it’s cake!! This is a collaborative post with the ‘LAMB. I never use a recipe when it has only 1 review, but I had ground lamb and some eggplants and 2 hungry boys. These simple lamb meatballs are made with just breadcrumbs and egg and flavored with finely chopped mint leaves. 1 lb ground lamb … My husband who doesn't love lamb really liked these so they work for a variety of palates. Simmer, covered, for 40-45 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is thick. These are very good although I would add another 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to give it a little more zip. – but stipulated: ‘these exact meatballs, just like this, with this sauce and this pasta’. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. parsley, and combine the mixture WOW, can't wait to try more of your recipes. Here is some guidance from a registered dietitian on foods and drinks that may help you feel just a little bit better if you get sick with COVID-19. (Meatballs and sauce only). Pre-heat your oven to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F. Cheap Dinner Recipes for $1 or Less Per Serving, 1 cup 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip), 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided, 1 (28 ounce) can 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, Back to Spicy Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce, © 2020 EatingWell.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. Grandma's comfort foods remind of us simpler, happier times and make us feel better—even if only for a little while. Allow dish to thaw in refrigerator for two days before cooking. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for 2 mins more. Grease a baking pan with olive oil, and put the meatballs onto it, spaced evenly. So I gave it a shot. These meatballs take less than an hour to make – meaning they are doable on all but the busiest of weeknights. Seasoned with a Moroccan-style blend of fresh mint, cinnamon, coriander and cumin and simmered in tomato sauce, these tender lamb meatballs make a flavorful change from their Italian-style cousins. I would have upped the spices and maybe added some heat since I served them with tzatziki sauce. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until onion softens, 4 minutes. shake to combine. Drain browned meatballs on paper towels. You saved Little Lamb Meatballs in a Spicy Eggplant Tomato Sauce to your. salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste. Bake for 15 or 20 minutes, Lamb is often considered difficult to cook, expensive, or something to be saved for Sunday roasts. Allow to simmer gently on a very low heat. I love lamb, and once in a while I enjoy it in small, spherical portions. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I'm a new cook and a big fan of Chef John's recipes. Brown meatballs in 3 batches over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes per batch, shaking pot so meatballs brown evenly. —Sam Sifton. To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you apply the cooking spray. Note: If freezing, cool meatballs in sauce 30 minutes, transfer to a shallow 4-quart freezer-to-oven casserole dish, and cover with aluminum foil; label and date the container. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I would make them again. This was pretty good....took an awful lot of time to make and I liked it just didn't love it for the amount of time it took me to make. well. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Eb x. The email addresses you entered will not be stored and will be used only to send this email. Add tomatoes, return to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. It can be cooked in an hour’s time, not all of it busy, and served with pita or plain pasta, bulgur or couscous. To reheat thawed meatballs, bake, still wrapped in foil, at 350° for 45 minutes or until warm. Check out his video for this recipe on Foodwishes.com which really helped me through it. Cookbook’’ (2013), devoted to that restaurant’s food. Combine eggplant, olive oil, salt and black pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I am in the last stages of making this dish and my husband is going CRAZY! MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Dinner tonight was probably one of my best and I am a woman that LOVES to cook. He can hardly wait!