You had some hotel continental breakfast sludge masquerading as grits because, let me tell you, once you’ve had real Southern grits, you will always want a side at breakfast. Cheese grits: Add cheese (and bacon, if desired) to grits and stir. Mine said to bring 4 cups of water to a boil along with 1 teaspoon of salt. Sweet grits: Top grits with maple syrup or sugar after serving.

I followed your cooking directions and they tasted very salty. Stir occasionally to keep grits from sticking. Stir to combine. Cheryl is a mom of two who lives in Memphis, TN. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Grits will "sputter" when ready. Made from corn, grits can be sweet or rich and savory. Basically you use milk, a little sugar and bring it to a boil. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. And the cherry on top? From a Southerner, I promise this recipe (and answer to “What are grits anyway? Stir the grits into the boiling water and then allow it to come back up to a full boil (this happened almost instantly for me). You could even take them the savory route and add a little cheese and savory spice, which would also be awesome. Quick grits are ground very finely, which makes them take much less time to cook.

(can also add some milk to thin them out a little and make creamier if you prefer, which also helps cool them down). why didn’t I think of this!!! Get… Next add the butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg (or whatever spices you’d like). That’s awesome!! Required fields are marked *. Your email address will not be published. It’s okay if there are a few sweet potato chunks. Quick and regular grits have the longest shelf life. The difference is amazing! Great, simple and filling recipe! Can’t wait to try them. Add in grits and stir constantly. Instant grits are usually found in a package, and while they’re easy to find and cook quickly, they don’t have the rich taste that other varieties do. Your email address will not be published. Loaded with cheese, bacon, shrimp, chicken broth, cream, fruit, or honey, they are surprisingly versatile for such a simple dish. Or dinner. Although sweet grits are a little less common, they are just as delicious and filling. Stir the mixture until it comes back up to a boil, then reduce the heat to the lowest setting, place a lid on top, and let simmer for ten minutes.). Best Grits Recipes. Not watery and hard. I believe food should be delicious and that healthy eating doesn't have to be complicated or super restrictive! They’re less processed and have a rich corn flavor. Slowly add in the grits and stir constantly to avoid grits getting lumpy. Uncover pot and stir in remaining butter and half of the heavy cream or half and half. Cheese Grits – Stir in freshly grated cheddar, sharp cheddar, parmesan, colby jack, or pepper jack with butter and cream. Cooking on a budget shouldn't mean canned beans and ramen noodles night after night. Welcome to the world of delicious recipes designed for small budgets. grits, coconut sugar, light coconut milk, strawberries, coconut sugar and 8 more. More ». Your email address will not be published. The slow cooking method results in a firm yet moist meatloaf that not only tastes great for dinner, but can be thinly sliced for next day lunch sandwiches. Allow the sweet potato to cool slightly, and then scoop out the cooked flesh. I tasted the mixture before the butter and spices and it was already deeeelish. pork belly, clarified butter, honey, white pepper, water, salt and 10 more. Someone once asked what type of salt I use, so here it is :), Once the water reaches a rolling boil, pour in the grits…. The sweet potatoes are already so creamy that you barely need any butter at all. … That’s a lot of breakfast for a little money! Healthy, Easy Recipes Your Family Will Love. This was my first time ever cooking or trying grits, so take this for what it’s worth. Once it reaches a rolling boil, pour in the uncooked grits. Shrimp and Grits – A southern, spicy, comfort meal-in-one. Then turn the burner down to its lowest setting, place a lid on top, and let it simmer for ten minutes. I am FLOORED by these grits….. I never make my grits with plain ol water anymore! I also love grits. Squeeze the sweet potato to make sure it is soft all the way through, and microwave longer if needed. Keep stirring while adding remaining cream a couple tablespoons at a time until grits thicken, about 15 minutes with stone-ground grits, but only a few minutes with quick grits. I ended up adding a little cinnamon and nutmeg, but leaving the sweetener out because they were so rich and delicious already. Feeling still in the holiday mood, I added cranberries and slivered almonds but stir in your favorites Add the sweet potato puree and stir to combine. There is something about a bowl of hot, creamy, sweet grits that just makes me feel warm and cozy. Mix grits, salt, and water in bowl and cook in microwave on high for 2.5-3 minutes, until nice and thick.

Add in some eggs, which also add some protein, and then stir in the fruit and nuts of your choice. So much better than oatmeal! It should be soft and creamy. thanks setting me straight and for all your great recipes! Creamy Sweet Grits with Strawberry-Chia Jam Brewing Happiness.
Add the sweet potatoes and stir until well mixed. :). Stir again until smooth. I’m lactose intolerant. Wrap it loosely in a paper towel, place on a microwave safe plate, and the microwave on high for 5 minutes. You can use either). ***Fair warning…This recipe may bother some of …

Delicious! While the grits are simmering, puree the sweet potato with some milk. Food Blogging & Photography Coaching Program, cooked and chopped, optional, for cheese grits. These grits are perfectly creamy and rich, you’ll never make them any other way! Learn how your comment data is processed. Temperature in step #3: If your stove top runs hot, set to medium-low. Small budget? Check out this delicious Brunchaholics recipe for an amazing rendition of shrimp and grits. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. But I am open to trying it as a savory served with a broiled chicken breast or salmon with some grilled veggies. Braised Pork Belly with Creamy Grits Pork. Thank you. Rinse off the sweet potato and prick it with a fork.

No problem! Meanwhile, add the cooked sweet potato flesh to a blender and add just enough milk to allow the sweet potato to blend into a puree. I'm the CEO of a food blog virtual assistant agency, and I run a postpartum clothing shop.
Stone-ground grits: Simmer for 15 minutes. I’m from Mississippi so grits are a staple breakfast item for me. If you are thinking, “I’ve had grits, and they were gross,” then you did not have grits, my friend. My recipe for Sweet Southern Grits creates the perfect combination of flavors. I make my grits with coconut milk all the time, I top with greens sauteed with onions, garlic, sometimes add goat or feta cheese!

I am adopting more and more oatmeal as my health is not good. Allow the sweet potato to cool slightly, then cut it open and scoop out the flesh. They shouldn’t be watery, and the hard pieces mean that those parts didn’t cook. Serve hot. She's been a blogger for 10 years and is known for her delicious recipes and detailed recipe instructions. Thank you for sharing! Are you a real Southerner if you don’t have childhood memories of eating heaping, massive spoonfuls of grits for breakfast at your grandma’s or at restaurants with plastic tablecloths? With this recipe you can enjoy a taste of sausage and grits in a meatloaf. I just ate them by themselves, like you would cream of wheat or oatmeal. Add more salt if desired. Or lunch.

Add another teaspoon of salt. Amazingly creamy and delicious either savory or sweet, this recipe is the easiest way to get perfectly thick and rich grits. I would never have considered mixing anything sweetish like the cinnamon and nutmeg or milk or sweetner ( those are for my oatmeal). Stir occasionally. What would you serve with this? A rich and creamy sweet potato grits that can be eaten either sweet or savory! Because they’re larger than other varieties, they take longer to cook. Cook the grits according to the package directions (instant grits will have different instructions than regular grits, etc. Cheryl Malik is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind the healthy, flavorful, family friendly recipes at 40 Aprons. I got a 2 lb. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ingredients. They’re also pretty easy to find at grocery stores. Sweet Grits Recipes 2,527 Recipes. Being from the South and having eaten grits my whole life, it sounds like you didn’t cook them long enough. Sweet grits – Add brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup and top with fresh fruit. That definitely makes sense on why there isn’t a tag. They may seem watery at first, but as you stir they’ll thicken up nicely. (Add four cups of water and one teaspoon of salt to a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat. They’re inexpensive, packed full of nutrients, and, most importantly, DELICIOUS. I use sea salt. Is that normal and I just don’t know the first thing about grits? Stir in your grits and whisk until they’ve thickened. Budget Bytes » Recipes » Bean & Grain Recipes » sweet potato grits, Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ingredients. What would you serve with this for company? I used about one cup of milk. Only use enough milk to allow the sweet potato to blend… it’s okay if there are a few chunks, you’re just trying to get rid of the slightly stringy texture and make them easy to stir into the grits. I’m hosting a brunch for 10 -12 people this weekend and would like to serve this up with something that’s easy to prep before guests arrive and easy to serve whenever guests are ready to eat. Stone-ground grits (our personal favorite) are just recently becoming more widely available outside of the South. They are ground, literally, between stones. Stir occasionally to keep grits from sticking. Bring 4 cups of salted water and 1 tablespoon of butter to a boil in medium pot. I added some brown sugar, sausage, and bacon and my God was it good! Sweet Grits with Sorghum Peaches The Runaway Spoon. So, when my coworker told me about seeing someone make sweet potato grits on a chef reality TV show, I was all like, “Yes ma’am, I will be making those IMMEDIATELY.”. I left mine unsweetened, but you could certainly add some brown sugar or maple syrup if you’d like. Thanks. Loosely wrap the sweet potato in a paper towel, place on a microwave safe plate, and then microwave for 5 minutes on high. Skip. :), Hey Beth I mentioned this to u and haven’t tried it yet, but my next off day I will make me sum sweet potato grits:):):):):). Luby's Grits Copykat Recipes. I’ll likely eat the rest like hot cereal butter/spices. Hey – you’ve made it this far, and now we’re best friends! Your email address will not be published. I will eat them every day for the REST OF MY LIFE. Cook the grits according to the package directions. Thanks for this unique and yummy recipe. Healthy Authentic Seafood Gumbo (Gluten Free, Whole30, Paleo, Low Carb), Biscuits with Goat Cheese and Blueberry Compote, BBQ Chicken Bowls with Sweet Potatoes and Coleslaw (Whole30), Healthy Zuppa Toscana (Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free), Quick Chicken Brine for Perfect Chicken Every Time, Best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe (Restaurant Style), Hibachi Chicken with Fried Rice and Vegetables, Everything Bagel Chicken with Scallion Cream Cheese Sauce (Keto), Perfect Paleo Brownies (Fudgy, Crackly Top, Gluten Free), Best Ever Tom Kha Gai Soup (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup), Egg Roll in a Bowl with Creamy Chili Sauce (Whole30, Low Carb, Keto, Paleo). You get to enjoy the creamy texture of grits that we all love, with the addition of natural honey and sweet Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries. !”) will make you fall in love with grits. https://www.southernliving.com/food/whats-for-supper/grits-recipes The Southern favorite! The sky’s the limit. sweet potato grits. I tasted these grits throughout the cooking process and I have to say, there are about a million different ways they could be prepared. This search takes into account your taste preferences. You can serve it with brown sugar or maple syrup if you’d like, but they’re also good without.