For example, "David had to bare all in order for the great sculptor to sculpt him.". Consequently, "bear with me" is the correct spelling of this common phrase. To "bear with me" is to endure something with me. Thus, we can easily identify now that in case of bearing 6305ZZ, the first digit ‘ 6 ‘ means the bearing type is ‘Single row deep groove ball bearing’. Here are a few other examples, Bare with me doesn’t mean what you might think it means! But since we're here, why not enjoy these idiom examples? It may already have been considered somewhat archaic by Benjamin Franklin when he wrote, in. "Bear" and "bare" have made it into a couple other common expressions. Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. In this instance, the person is being asked to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. "Bare" does make it into at least one common expression. What about "bear" as a verb? "Reveal with me," doesn't quite have the intended meaning of "hold on a moment." Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, pull the carpet (out) from under (one's) feet, the webmaster's page for free fun content, Bear Valley Snowsports Education Foundation. What does have bearing on expression mean? "Bear with me" simply means to "hold on a moment" or "hang on for a moment." That's certainly the definition of "bear" in its noun form. Usually, when someone's asking you to "bear with them," they're not asking you to literally endure some awful fate with them. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bear+with+me. Perhaps you'll include one or two in your next piece of writing. "Bear" and "bare" belong to the tricky class of homophones that have been tripping up English language speakers for centuries. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. You have been successfully subscribed to the Grammarly blog. Be patient, make allowances, put up with me. Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox. Sorry, until I … Bear with me definition: Bear with me is an expression that means hear me out or be patient. Get Grammarly. For example, "His speech on dolphins was nothing but bare bones." Are you still stumped? So, if someone's being asked to "bear the brunt" of something, it's referring to endurance again. Today used mainly as a request to hear out a long-winded story or wait for a delayed result or event, this request appeared in John Heywood’s proverb collection of 1546. An example would be, "He was asked to bare all when he took the stand in court." To understand it better, Lets take an example of Inch bearing. Bear With Me or Bare With Me: Which Is Correct. Are you talking about enduring something or uncovering something? All Rights Reserved. That's always the way to go with this tricky phrase. In this instance, you wouldn't refer to the verb "bear," meaning "to endure." Definition of have bearing on in the Idioms Dictionary. In the third and final example, we finally see "bare" at work in its adjectival form. Do you have them straight in your mind? An example would be, "She was asked to bear the brunt of her family's misfortune." It may not be an idiom, under its strictest definition, but this expression does rub up against the world of idioms. Of course, when many people think of the word "bear," their attention turns to the scary grizzly bear outside the cabin door, rifling through the trash cans. have bearing on phrase. You might also hear someone mention they were asked to "bare all" in an art class. To remain patient and attentive, especially during a lengthy or problematic situation that may cause one to want to quit or leave prematurely. Sorry, until I find the graph you will have to, “Two and a half weeks in to learning how to play the piano,” [Channing Tatum] explains in a black-and-white video posted to his account. If someone is asked to "bare all," they're being asked to expose everything - whether that's the truth or their body. In case of Inch bearings, the bearing’s first digit will be ‘R’.After ‘R’, the size of the bearing will be given in 1/16 th of an inch. What about "bear the brunt"? Are you talking about enduring something or uncovering something? Use Grammarly for mistake-free writing. We don't want to see this great school close down, so we're begging the teachers to bear with it, in spite of all the uncertainty. It means “please be patient with me.” The verb bear has many meanings, one of which is “to be patient” and “to tolerate.” In order to fully understand why this is the case, we need to understand what each word individually means. Bare and bear sound alike so it’s easy to imagine why people confuse the two. How about starting with discrete and discreet? I'm moving a little slower these days, so please bear with me. Well, the long and short of it is that, in its verb form, "bare" means to reveal or uncover. It's easy enough to say or hear this expression. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. Rather, you'd reference the verb "bare," meaning to uncover. A convention speaker might say bear with me if his or her slideshow isn’t working, or a minister might use the phrase while turning to the correct scriptural passage. When spoken, we don't have to think about the correct spelling. That's always the way to go with this tricky phrase. Here’s an easy way to differentiate bear from bare. Bear with us while we deal with these technical issues. Bare is a verb that means to “to uncover.” However, if you keep in mind that the verb bear means “to endure” or “to be patient,” the expression“bear with me” will make sense. The correct expression, “bear with me,” means “be patient with me.” The speaker asked the audience to bear with her while she searched for the correct graph. You learned that bear as a verb means “to endure.” In its noun form, bear refers to a large furry animal. As a verb, "bear" means to cope with or to endure. For something to be bare bones, it must be minimalistic or empty. bear with (someone or something) To remain patient and attentive, especially during a lengthy or problematic situation that may cause one to want to quit or leave prematurely. In the first two instances, these homophones are acting as verbs. A similar "bare" expression is "bare bones," which is sometimes written as the single compound noun "barebones." Combining these two definitions into a silly sentence will help you remember that the correct phrase is “bear with me,” not “bare with me.” A patient bear will always bear with you, but an impatient bear just might devour you! Here are some online examples that use the phrase correctly. Considering the verb forms again, we know that "bare" means to uncover while "bear" means to endure. To "bear with me" is to endure something with me. What other homophones would you like to master today? As such, it means the speaker didn't offer a lot of detail but, rather, just the basic elements. In this context, it makes sense why "bear" is the way to go and not "bare" with me. That might cause a moment's hesitation too. For example, "Nothing was left, except the bare bones of her apartment." Mood: How to Use Tone and Mood in Your Writing, 5 Writing "Rules" That Are Really Guidelines, Beware of These Common Consistency Issues in Writing. “Bear with me, this is going to be brutal.”. Often used as an imperative. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. They're just asking you to hold on a second while they wrap up a project, conclude a phone call, or something to that effect. I'm moving a little slower these days, so please bear with me. The correct expression is bear with me. The Internet is full of mistaken uses of homophones in expressions such as bear with me and bare with me. Someone might also deliver a "bare bones" speech. Or, "He wound up having to bear the brunt of his brother's mistakes.". So, the expression technically translates to "endure with me" or "endure this with me." Tone vs. Here, we're dealing with "bare" as an adjective, modifying the noun "bones." So, bear with me or bare with me: which is correct? Often used as an imperative. It may not be an idiom, under its strictest definition, but this expression does rub up against the world of idioms. But when it's time to put it on paper, it's hard to know if the correct expression is "bear" with me or "bare" with me.