Bloom Time: April If it grows like the first one I bought, I should have about a three to four foot tree by this fall. The largest native American fruit, Pawpaw was a significant part of the Native American diet, and with our superior large-fruited varieties, is enjoying new popularity. I have two 7 yr old PawPaw's and they just started to fruit last year. Thank you. How old are these trees when shipped? If you have any issues, please email customerservice@raintreenursery.com, Liquid error (product-badge line 32): -Infinity, The paw paw is the largest edible fruit native to America. This property is no longer available to rent or to buy. The new teachers are very friendly. Hello Stark Bro’s prunes them before shipping them out. You must be quick,to get the fruit when it is ripe, because it won't ripen off the tree if you pick it too soon. Recommended cultivar from a short course on orchard trees that I took. It contains large seeds that are easily removed. Pawpaws are practically native to Michigan and actually grow quite well in clay soil. I planted three of them about 18 months ago (two winters) and they are growing. There are no flowers or fruit at the moment, but it's in the second season since I planned it. If your variety is grafted, it will be a fine pollinator. You can just take out your spoon and eat the delicious treat. The reason Stark's Golden Pawpaw gets 5 stars? Reportedly the earliest of all our varieties to ripen. We appreciate you reaching out to us. North Carolina Cooperative Extension Agent, Carl Cantaluppi has been testing new pawpaw varieties that have been crossed by Mr. Neal Peterson. Standing at least 8" taller then when planted last year. They are all named after rivers. Does it matter which two varieties are planted together for proper pollination? The pulp has big seeds that are easy to spoon out and discard or plant to grow additional trees. We are continuously working to improve the accessibility of our web experience for everyone,  and we welcome feedback and accommodation requests. Yield: 30+ lbs. Was how their seeds were dispersed in the wild . 121 Paw Paw, Kunkletown, PA 18058 is a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2,000 sqft single-family home. You've changed my delivery date from August to November. Have never seen them suffer any winter damage whatsoever, including last winter, which saw -21 degrees one night. I did not protect them in the winter, although I probably should have, not because of the weather, and I am also in zone 5B, but because the tops get bitten. Ideally you want to plant right away, however it is no problem to plant when you are ready as long as you keep your plant or tree well watered and getting the sunlight it needs to continue growing. This property has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and approximately 2,000 sqft of floor space. While the paw paw tree grows well in much of the nation, it needs, a long hot summer to ripen its fruit and only the earliest ripening cultivars stand a chance. The PA golden struggled a little and the growth leader wilted, but it latter recovered and put on good growth at the end of summer.