five-dollar word; Definitions include: a fancy word. 9. 2. It is one of the rare words that can mean exact opposites, depending on context, tone, and body language. 14. Last edited on Oct 27 2011. One thing I’ve taken note of while living in Brazil, is that Brazilians have no idea how to use the slang term “word,” which is extremely common in informal American use of English. Often used to express disbelief or dismay. Definitions include: a phrase indicating agreement or support. ", Definitions include: "Are you telling me the truth?" This page explains what the slang term "Word" means. four-letter word; Definitions include: a swear word. That's awesome! ", Definitions include: synonymous with "What do you think about that?". Logged-in users can add themselves to the map. To give your word means to tell the truth: 11. Submitted by Jasmine from Washington Twp, NJ, USA Because of it’s versatility, proper usage will make the speaker seem quite advanced. Note: Here it’s usually said quickly and indifferently. The definition, example, and related terms listed above have been written and compiled by the Slangit team. It can mean I agree with what you’re saying, usually with some enthusiasm. Word up! Word can mean cool, like: 1. Definitions include: any good news, ideas, or thoughts. Word can be used to show disbelief, like “really?”: 5. Don’t take my word for it is to trust what is being said: 12. , Return from 18 Slang Uses for the Term “Word” to Slang.   (To vote, click the pepper. Definitions include: to suffer the consequences of verbalizing something that was incorrect. We are constantly updating our database with new slang terms, acronyms, and abbreviations. In your own words means to say it as you think it. by Tarboy9 April 18, 2015 Some wikis use a different format for links, so be sure to check the documentation. Definitions include: to be arrested and put in a jail cell. Last edited on Dec 06 2002. In your own words, what does chapter 12 say. on Oct 17 2010. Word is a dynamic, colorful word that is used quite often in both the spoken and written language of English. Word on the street is a rumor or piece of information that is currently being talked about. “Word” is also one of the most complicated words in the English language, simply because it has so many uses. Note: Here it’s used with a little more excitement, and it’s a little more drawn out. “I’m going to the store, I’ll be back later.” “Word.” Note: Here it’s usually said quickly and indifferently. “I’ll be there in 5 minutes.” “Word.” 2. To "have a word with you" has a connotation of "you are in trouble," doesn't it? 16. 17. Last edited on Feb 09 1998. ), If you have any questions about what was written above, or would like more details about a certain use, just say the word. To tell the difference between it’s many uses, you really need to pay attention to the context and intonation of the speaker. 13. 1. ", Definitions include: a phrase indicating approval, excitement, or support; ", Definitions include: replacement for the word "sure. Definitions include: roughly equivalent to "serious.". To link to this term in a wiki such as Wikipedia, insert the following. Definitions include: "remember what I say. 8. 'f' word, the; Definitions include: fuck. August 17. Google has been lying about the penalty against this site for years. 3. Please log in again. 1. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA Submitted by Slink from FL, USA “Remember Josh, you said you would go on a vegetarian diet for 30 days, “Words fail me, I don’t know what to say…” or “I can’t believe he did that, I’m at a loss for words…”. Definitions include: abbreviated form of "isn't it". Awesome article. on Dec 06 2002. 15. Definitions include: statement of agreement. Definitions include: as a question, to enquire whether someone is present. We are constantly updating our database with new slang terms, acronyms, and abbreviations. The login page will open in a new tab. It refers to the idea that what you … Word can be used in an annoyed or indifferent way, like yeah, whatever: 1. Word to the wise is a hint or brief explanation given. Wig: "Wig" is a phrase used to refer to something that is amazing. Word means more than just “palavra.” Besides meaning a group of letters that make up sentences, word also has many other meanings. Are you one of them? Word definition. Definitions include: to have an opportunity to speak. If you didn’t already know of these five uses for “word” then you’re like 99.9% of all non-native English speaker, but today you can move on step closer. In other words, to express something in a different way. "These cell phone companies charge way too much for data plans. Some expressions are similar in Portuguese, but the many other uses were new for me. on Jan 13 2010. Plus, if you live in Belo Horizonte, be sure to come to our RLE events. The definition, example, and related terms listed above have been written and compiled by the Slangit team. Submitted by Anonymous from Chicago, IL, USA eat (one's) words; Definitions include: to suffer the consequences of verbalizing something that was incorrect. or "I'm telling you the truth. The ultimate slang dictionary brings you slang definitions, plus everything you ever needed to know about American English slang words, Gen Z slang, British slang, and more. Login, Register, Login instantly with Facebook. “Word,” when used correctly, can be one of the most colorful and versatile words in the English language. Word up is also sometimes used, but it has a slightly different meaning. Not necessarily it means that someone wants to talk to you but not that you’re in trouble it can mean anything. 10. An informal term that stands for or means something else than its literal meaning; a shorter way to say a word or phrase Slang is slang for short language. Definitions include: exclamation of surprise. on Feb 09 1998. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Keep your word, do what you have promised. 7. We bring you more than 24,000 real definitions for over 17,000 slang words and phrases. Words fail me / at a loss for words means to be unable to speak. To put words in your mouth means to falsely or inaccurately report what you said. Similar to the word “fuck,” “word” can be used to mean many different things. on Apr 02 1998. Other terms relating to 'accurate, probably, likely, certainly': Other terms relating to 'inquiries (list of)': Other terms relating to 'yes, agreements (statements of)': Average of 163 votes: 4. The ultimate slang dictionary for the slang words you have always wondered about, plus how long the words have been around and how they become popular. Last edited on Apr 10 2010. ", Definitions include: a person who reports the misdeeds of another; ", Definitions include: online chatting acronym for "age, sex, location? This page explains what the slang term "Word" means. Word can mean okay or just to communicate that you heard them. the word is – not how mean it is.). I never thought about all the different uses of this word. Google has been penalizing this site in its search rankings for years. Definitions include: acronym for "in other words". A term that can mean, "I agree," or "I gotcha;" communicates that the other person said words that you agree with. To take the words out of my mouth means I was thinking the exact same thing. It's interesting because I don't think I've ever heard a non-native use this. “I’m going to the store, I’ll be back later.”, “I’m going to hang out with John (someone you don’t like).”. If you would like to suggest a term or an update to an existing one, please let us know! Definitions include: for sure; certainly. word 1 interj 1980s black teenagers An exclamation of agreement an appreciation, used when someone has said something important or profound: If it's really meaningful, "Word, man, word" should be used—New York Times 2 interj =WORD UP... *word up interj 1980s black An exhortation to listen, to pay attention: Word up, fool. Definitions include: used to inquire the owner of an item. Submitted by Joe Gallo from Washington, DC, USA To link to this term in a web page or blog, insert the following. “I got an A on my test.” “Word.” Note: Here it’s used with a little more excitement, and it’s a little more drawn out. It’s also a little drawn out. Last edited on Oct 17 2010. 3. “Hey man, you forgot to clean up.” “Word.” 2. Maybe this will change it! Definitions include: the word "cunt". To get some practice using these different phrases, feel free to make a comment putting one of more of these different uses into practice and have your work corrected by a native speaker. Another important thing you can do is just pay attention to the way it’s used in films and TV shows. To have a word is to have a quick conversation, to speak briefly. Started in 1996, The Online Slang Dictionary is the eldest slang dictionary on the web. Definitions include: of course; definitely. You'll find more than 5,700 citations from TV shows, movies, news publications, and other sources. Wordcan mean okay or just to communicate that you heard them. on Mar 08 2011. ", Definitions include: acronym for "What are you doing? 18. Definitions include: acronym of "as far as I know. Definitions include: on schedule, under control, with necessary preconditions met, etc. “I’m going to hang out with John (someo… We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. ". get a word in edgeways Vote how vulgar 1. After logging in you can close it and return to this page. Word can be used in an annoyed or indifferent way, like yeah, whatever: Note: Here it’s used often with the roll of the eyes, and in annoyed sound in their voice. Definitions include: accurate; "dead on". ", Definitions include: "I will not reveal the secret.". 6. Join the community and you’ll be invited to our next event (Saturday August 11! It is intended to elevate the previously said phrase … My conversation with the Google employee who told me about the penalty starts dropping Just say the word means I am at your service, just tell me when you want to be served.