I really started to resonate with this quote. Accessed 23 October 2019. A new and less complex – more efficient, lean – company is formed, allowing for cost cuts, improving efficiency and profitability. Suppose that the complexity of the banks – this was calculated using three years of quarterly balance sheets – is, respectively, C(A) and C(B). Data to Structure – New Paradigms in System Monitoring, Follow Quantitative Complexity Management on WordPress.com. What does this mean? Registered Address: Matrix House, 12-16 Lionel Road, Canvey Island, Essex, England, SS8 9DE, SCHEDULE A 30 MINFREE ENERGY STRATEGY CALL WITH PAUL OUR GLOBAL ENERGY EXPERT. However, in common usage, "holism" usually refers to the idea that a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. "wholism, n." OED Online, Oxford University Press, September 2019, www.oed.com/view/Entry/228738. When you Google this quote it ... 10 Nov 20. Find out if you’re overpaying for your business utilities with a complimentary energy assessment. I feel privileged that I have had this opportunity. The saying 'The whole is greater than the sum of the parts', has been attributed to Gestaltists and means that you cannot understand the parts of something to understand the thing as a whole. This case, in which the whole is less than the sum of the parts, is far less likely than case 3 but it is also the only one which has chances of survival. This is a recipe for disaster. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I have be influential with some big and very small energy initiatives and I don’t think this this will ever stop. [5], The term holistic when applied to diet or medical health refers to intuitive approach to food, eating, or lifestyle. Accessed 23 October 2019. OED Online, Oxford University Press, September 2019, www.oed.com/view/Entry/87727. Our industry can make a massive difference to Climate Change and one persons vision could make a difference if only we are to adopt ‘Synergy’ and the saying “ The ‘Whole’ is greater than the ‘Sum’ of its parts , Aristotle”. When you Google this quote it is often associated to ‘Synergy’. This quote has obviously been around for many years but it is so true. I have been in this industry many years and over those years I have gained some significant experience, I have surveyed some amazing buildings during this time. If you want to discuss your energy reduction strategy book a call with Paul our energy expert. Such an operation would probably make little sense in the first place, but the conclusion is this: if you put together two components that don’t interact or compete with each other, or ignore each other, they can co-exist almost as if no merger took place. This is the case in which the complexity of the outcome is greater than the sum of the complexities of the components. [9][10][11] Adherents of religious institutions, that practice a holistic dietary and health approach, have been shown have longer lifespans than those of surrounding populations, including Hinduism,[9] Shinto,[12] and the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. I always say that two years time I will retire, I actually started saying when I was 50 and I’m now 56. If we were to take these principles and gather ‘Energy Experts’ around the world what an amazing impact that would be. The converse of this quote, “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts,” is what I believe is true in the case of teamwork. For a team/group/organization to be successful, the team can’t consist of individuals working independently and without cohesion. In fact I was asked the same question by another company at the same time. This is the case in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. "holistic, adj." Independent utility and energy management consultancy, Company Reg: 05524279 It also happens to be the case that more than 70% (some say even 80%) of … [7] In this sense, holism may also be called "holiatry". This is a clear example of ‘Synergy’ and working together. ” A phrase attributed to Aristotle and misquoted by those seeking to understand one of the most mysterious properties of a system: Emergence. Throughout the last 15 Years in business I have coined a phrase that ‘I do not have competitors’ and some of my closest business friends actually are energy consultants or they are in this industry. By Paul Webb. You may get what you wish for. ( Log Out /  This means that the individuals that know well the business of that particular company are let go. [3] However, in common usage, "holism" usually refers to the idea that a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Smuts originally used "holism" to refer to the tendency in nature to produce wholes from the ordered grouping of unit structures. Friends Who Liked This Quote. Over a period of a week I pulled together a small team of very close trustworthy assessors to work with me. My conversations and meetings around the world to date have shown me that we are all discussing to same issues and similar challenges. Who writes has experienced mergers from the perspective of the company which takes over another company and vice versa. “The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This simple example illustrates how conventional, three-dimensional linear thinking can quickly get people into irreversible trouble. Change ), New Perspectives and Challenges for CAE in the 21-st Century, Systemic Risks and Large-Scale Complexity Analysis of Supply Chains, When the Whole is Greater than the Sum of the Parts, Complexity and the Importance of Structure. “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” ― Aristotle tags: synergy. Moreover, companies usually have a particular culture. In case 1, the whole is equal to the sum of the two components. In most cases the management of the company that has been taken over is more or less progressively phased out. The ‘Whole’ is greater than the ‘Sum’ of its parts , Aristotle. C(A+B) = C(A) + C(B) – occurrence 5%, Case 2. This quote has obviously been around for many years but it is so true. C(A+B) < C(A) + C(B) – occurrence 20%, Case 3. Suppose we take bank A and bank B. True, there do exist successful local linear surrogates, but they must be used with caution, especially outside of their domains of validity, which are not always easy to define. [1][2] The term "holism" was coined by Jan Smuts in his 1926 book Holism and Evolution. Each country will have there own unique challenges and there own tools to deliver there day today management of energy. I have never been shy of work but this was a big ask, because detail and back office work is critical. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. During this time I realised that we were all actually working towards to same goal of reducing kWhs, reducing Carbon Emissions and saving our planet. Merging forcefully companies with different corporate cultures never works. In order to deal with a more complex and larger company one would logically assume that more competency is needed to cope with the situation. [read my exploration into that topic] The phrase is also used to explain the importance of Synergy and the foundations of Gestalt theory. If this team focused on just making savings on kWh in these buildings consider how much savings could have been made. Where there issues was cooling and water, but I was able to sympathise and advise him what we were doing with these problems. This case happens when we merge two banks that have totally different businesses, say a retail bank and an investment bank. Once we merge them – this is done by merging the balance sheets – we obtain a new bank, which now has complexity C(A+B). So, the next time you wish for the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts, be careful. This quote has obviously been around for many years but it is so true. Protected: QCM and New High Performance Edge Computing HW. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I put together a very smart model to help this team deliver a consistent report based on the convention of the standards and delivered these assessments accurately and on time. The exact meaning of "holism" depends on context. They were the complete opposite to the UK. It also happens to be the case that more than 70% (some say even 80%) of mergers between companies fail. [8] Several approaches are used by medical doctors, dietitians, and religious institutions, usually recommended based on an individual basis. This leaves the management having to deal with a new and larger company and without fully understanding parts of its business. I see some, if not all, of the principles of Gestalt therapy being used at Tigerland. Join Other Energy & Building Managers Getting Monthly Energy Insights By Email​, B2B Energy Limited When you … In 2020 I’m dedicating my time and investments in growing such a team and a group of B2B Global Energy Experts,  this platform will be combine training, the sharing of best practices, the sharing of knowledge and case studies that evidence that working together really works. Since then I am currently working with other experts where we are providing our skills to projects and each part is becoming greater than the whole. "The No BS Guide to Holistic, Healthier Eating", "FACING THE SPIRITS: ILLNESS AND HEALING IN A JAPANESE COMMUNITY", Relationship between religion and science, Fourth Great Debate in international relations, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Holism&oldid=987880196, Articles containing Ancient Greek (to 1453)-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 9 November 2020, at 20:01. From a pool of several hundred banks we simulated hundreds of mergers – large banks with large banks, small ones with large ones, mid-size banks with large banks and with small ones. This is the case in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. [3], The exact meaning of "holism" depends on context. Now, taking this all on board and understanding that the world is becoming smaller every day with technology. In 2019 I worked with a very large organisation and I was tasked to complete twenty energy assessments across the U.K. But I believe you can take solutions from one art of the world and adapt them for another successfully. Recommend to friends. Case 2 is most interesting but let us analyze case 3 first. Respectfully, everyone I have spoken to speaks very good English and in this case puts my culture to shame, but needless to say our conversations were on the same level and refreshing. Only yesterday I was in deep conversation with one part of the world where we were discussing challenges.