That being said, I am also passionate about Commander being fun to play. Sometimes your initial estimations about the number of each you need can be off; sometimes you’ll have too many of one colour land and not enough of the other. If you find that your deck gets stuck without enough things to do or draws into more draw spells, adjust this number accordingly. Command tax and commander damage are tracked separately for partner commanders. Staxx: Decks that put powerful inhibitory effects into play that either asymmetrically effect the caster or else the deck is designed to play around. In this case the deck would consist of 98 cards, plus the two commanders, such as, Commander decks can include companions as companions if their deck follows the companions deck building requirement, however. Blue will have to counter spells or put creatures back in their owner’s hands. Incidentally, this also explains why life gain isn’t particularly good in Commander. This ensures that your commander is virtually always available to you, if you can pay the cost – Zaxara is now up to 5BGU to cast! Wow. Aggro: Decks that put creatures into play and attack with them. Will I deal 120 damage to my opponents? Red will be able to use spells that deal damage to destroy things, and Green is stuff with cards that let your creatures fight other creatures. The player who then utilizes their 55 mana the best, will likely then win the game. This is where things get really fun. On their turn, another opponent casts Toxic Deluge, paying three life, so Zaxara is destroyed and goes to the graveyard briefly. I’m also running the often-hated Null Rod, but since we don’t have any activate-able artifacts and I chose not to run mana rocks, it seems prudent to lock down opponents artifacts if we can. So don’t despair if the deck you have been dying to build is not in the right colors to play Rhystic Study. Pestilence and Withering Wisps will work as control and boardwipes in a pinch, and since our creatures will tend to be large we can use them to keep the board clean of powerful utility creatures, such as pesky elves or Dark Confidant. Then, if you have more mana available, you are more likely to be able to play those powerful win conditions. But I want a lot of hydras, and I want to really leverage Zaxara’s triggered ability. Given how difficult it is to get rid of a commander permanently, building your combo around your commander is a fairly safe bet. Instead I’ve hurt myself and the opponent whose card I targeted, and essentially helped my other two opponents.