Split lentils, called dhal,  come in many varieties as well. Increasing the amount of rice and decreasing the amount of split peas and lentils will give you a nice rice blend. Add a heaping cup of water to 1/2 cup of lentils in a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of lentils to a heaping cup of water in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes until lentils are tender. Rinse before cooking. Which in turn meant I could reduce the cost. A Guide to the Most Popular Types of Rice, Crock Pot Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo, How to Make Congee (Chinese Rice Porridge). Total Carbohydrate When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Mix equal parts of lentils (brown, yellow, and red) and store in an airtight container. Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add desired seasonings, being careful to add any salt towards the end. So you’ll need about 30-40 minutes to caramelize the onions. You can season this recipe any way you'd like. I’ll prep the sauce and include it too. Add Lentil Wild Rice mix to boiling water; turn heat down to a rapid simmer. Saved by WinCo Foods. I used yellow onions for this batch but I've tried caramelizing white onions before and they seem to work just as well. In a large skillet, saute beef and onions until beef is browned. Once rice is cooked, remove pot from the burner and set aside, covered for 15 minutes. Hulled barley, pot barley and pearl barley. For years, I have been trying to take this traditional dish to a more ‘gourmet’ level. Red rice or black rice would be a good addition to this recipe. After thirty minutes they’ll look something like this: Yum! Simmer for 20-30 minutes (until desired texture, *I like them to be pretty soft); drain and add to meat mixture. Many varieties of dhal can be found in an East Indian market. This should take about 25 minutes, but may take longer dependig on the age of your lentils. Recipe tags: no-chicken base, easy difficulty, main, vegetarian, skillet. Sound too good to be true? Your email address will not be published. While it comes to boil, add all the other spices, salt and pepper. Light bulb moment! Printing a coupon or ordering a product through this link may result in a commission, which helps pay for the cost of running this site and keeps the content free. To use as a soup base, mix 1 part blend to 4 parts stock or water. Ways to make this main dish for less: Get peppers and onion at Sprouts, vegetable co-ops, or Winco (those are the cheapest places I have found). Required fields are marked *, Hey, I'm Patrick! the tomato-chipotle mixture from the blender Diamond Crystal or 1¼ tsp. 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, 1/2 cup Lentil Wild rice blend (or ¼ cup wild rice & ¼ cup lentils) cooked*, *I used Winco Lentil Blend Rice 1695 (Brown Rice, Lentils, Red Rice, Wild Rice). I would have never thought of putting lentils into stuffed peppers, but that sounds awesome! Click the stars above to rate it or leave a comment down below! Second layer- Add: 1 Tablespoon condensed tomato soup, ½ Tablespoon Ketchup, 1 Tablespoon shredded cheese, ¼ cup (or to the top of the pepper) of the beef and rice mixture. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C). Feel free to alter this recipe even further by replacing a portion of the rice with millet or quinoa. First layer- Add: 1 Tablespoon condensed tomato soup, ½ Tablespoon Ketchup, 1 Tablespoon shredded cheese, ¼ cup (fill the pepper half way up) of the beef and rice mixture. Your email address will not be published. 1 cup of white rice (Altered from “taco style lentils and rice”), 4 cups water or vegetable broth (can use beef or chicken broth for an un-vegan version), Rinse lentils and add remaining ingredients to a microwaveable rice cooker. Yum! 4. After starting the onions I usually put two tomatoes in the oven at 400F. PS: Stopping over from Miz Helen’s party! Indian basmati really works beautifully with all the warming spices we’ll be adding to this recipe. Add rice and 2 tsp. You can garnish with chopped cilantro but to be honest it doesn’t need much else. Bring to a boil and then let them simmer for 10-15 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Affiliate links may be used in this post. Mix brown rice, wild rice, dried parsley flakes, Spike seasoning or herb mix, dried thyme, tarragon, white pepper, and salt until combined. You can easily triple or quadruple this recipe to save time. This "gourmet" combination of various grains is sold in bulk at our local Winco, but it dawned on me later after having purchased the mix of course, that I could buy the grains individually and make a homemade version. 1 teaspoon total). Set aside some of the caramelized onions for garnish if you want. Increasing the amount of rice and decreasing the amount of split peas and lentils will give you a nice rice blend. Drain and set aside. Add rice mix, cover the pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 50 minutes. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Now it’s time to add the rest of the ingredients: 1/2 cup of lentils that we parboiled Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Add different herbs or spices, add some dehydrated vegetables such as dried onion or garlic too. Lentils have slightly different cooking times. (3 and 5…you never know with that crowd!) In a large saucepan, add water, whisk in No Chicken Base and bring to a boil.