New companies are formed then they disappear, either sold to others or just go out of business leaving all the workers without a job for many months. Wow, the number of people graduating with CS degrees is really cyclical. Once sold, these foreigners will be disposed off. Because if you have a gift, you will always shine and kick everyone’s ass and people just cant believe you’re going circles around them with no education but self-learning because they spent 10 years or more to learn it, and they’re nowhere near your own level…. I acquired a wide variety of tools for solving particular coding problems during my computer science degree. It’s also not obvious that their employment prospects are necessarily more rosy than the one for CS majors (at least for the median student who doesn’t go to a hedge fund). If you’re good at programming and commercial-minded, you don’t need a CS degree to get your foot in the door and rise to the top of your field. Again, just because the shortage happens to be driven primarily by knowledge of tools. As a woman, I felt that my choices were to become a nurse or a teacher. Typically, one can write this as: However, there are lingering question associated with above statement of Profit=Sales- Cost. That’s more difficult to prove rigorously, but I submit the answer is yes. That works in most software startups today because they are just doing continuous innovation in the late phases of the technology adoption lifecycle making lots of cash, but nothing more than that, no economic wealth. 4. So to summarize, society, NSF, CS departments, faculty, university administrators, text book publishers do not care about CS, thus most unqualified employees with cheap costs end up running the show. I do not think this would have been the case if I hadn’t gotten my degree. Philosophy as such is not marketable to get a job, except being an academic or pursuing Ph.D. And most jobs in tech are at least partially focused on solving problems. No idea what to expect in CS since programming and algorithms are not taught in school like math. Just got 1 year of Java 7? http://web.mit.edu/registrar/stats/yrpts/index.html Something like 30%+ of MIT undergraduates are doing a major in some form of CS Today, there are still many grade, middle, and high schools that simply don’t offer any computer science curriculum or maintain curriculum that carries significant weight to influence incoming freshman. 10. Lots of great opinion here. B) This sounds like a company culture problem, though this is seen in old traditional companies (banks). I went to several interviews and they were all wanting me to have years of experience in their frameworks, although I assured them I could learn to use these frameworks in a reasonable amount of time they wanted years of experience in it before they would hire me. But why computer science? (. Are these jobs left for others to do because kids in US don’t want them? Most of us are not really contemplating the question at hand: stagnation, and in some cases, the decline of CS Majors. 1. Any CS major who doesn’t take these theoretical results with a healthy dose of salt risks giving up when a perfectly usable answer is close at hand. If one team member loves some odd feature and starts including it in the code base, everyone else is going to have to learn it. Then we have all the trivially hackable/unusable websites of the world -no comments. . While there has been a 16% increase in men majoring in CS, there has been a 10% *DEcrease in women majoring. I also heard in UW it is very competitive to major in cs. Second, rising wages should be. If they had allowed some entrepreneur to form a subsidiary and debug the system and market it with reasonable price (I met several sales guys who imagined that the name IBM will give them $200/ per OS, when the American expect it to be around $50/- per sale, IBM did the same with their antivirus software and so on) and Americans walk away. The work ethic is highly challenging for anyone that wants a semblance of work/life balance, especially if you work in the tech sector. Women students do not have women faculty mentors. The business track, the computer science track, and the EE track. The degreed programmers can expect continued employment, but a degree is not enough. Have you bothered to check whether they’ve changed the laws there so that you can only use the title “engineer” in reference to a course of study or job role if it’s one that’s actually licensed by the STATE OF TEXAS, after sitting for a long-ass test? I submit that $60k in Palo Alto does not go as far as $30k in the rest of America. Some of the most satisfying were contract programming when one could still make a six figure salary in the mid-west. They are made for it, they are, at their young age, already at that best level there is which it took you 10 to 20 years to reach. Trump wants only such Ph.Ds and now code monkeys. 30.1601 Accounting and Computer Science This is the reason why so many smart product leads and managers with tech backgrounds at large tech firms leave a few years after the product/service is on the market, yet sales growth is either stagnant or declined.