This book explains how carbohydrates affect our insulin levels causing us to retain fat and make even more . It's amazing after a few weeks how you no longer crave the sweet carbs and starchy potatoes and pasta and look forward to meat with lovely leafy green veg . Beautiful book.... but provided you have the patience to go through enormous amount of words.. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I was very interested in how to be lean but still eat eggs ,meat ,fish and the green vegetables that I love so much. Reviewed in Australia on 4 September 2019. "Why we get fat' is Taubes follow-up book from 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' which was a fantastic book but very heavy on technical and scientific detail and thus quite inaccessible to the lay person. What if we’ve spent two generations and billions of dollars re-engineering our food system and altering our eating habits away from fat . . Featuring a new afterword with answers to frequently asked questions. For me it has cemented the idea that I want to eliminate as much sugar and processed food as possible and reduce the amount of starch vegetables. His book Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It was released in December 2010. As a physiotherapist with an MSc in Sports Medicine who works in Lifestyle Medicine, I will be recommending this book to every patient who wants to eat well and lose weight. . Reviewed in Australia on 19 February 2017. . Building upon his critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, bestselling author Gary Taubes revisits these urgent questions. Science-based rethink explains fat gain & retention. . Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Why We Get Fat at Amazon.com. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. and making ourselves fatter and unhealthier as a result? This is a necessary read for anyone concerned about optimal lifelong health. . Anchor; Reprint edition (28 December 2010). Really enjoyed this book and the first of its kind I've read in regards to this topic of low carb diets. "Well-researched and thoughtful . Something went wrong. Packed with eye-opening information and elucidating studies.”            -Diets in Review “This is the book I knew was inside of Good Calories, Bad Calories . It has clear all myths related to how person becomes fat. . As a physiotherapist with an MSc in Sports Medicine who works in Lifestyle Medicine, I will be recommending this book to every patient who wants to eat well and lose weight. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Order now from our extensive selection of books coming soon with Pre-order Price Guarantee. Backed by a persuasive amount of detail . 95% of this book covers irrelevant and repetitive historical garbage which does not serve any useful purpose in getting to the fundamentals of a low carb diet. . That’s what Taubes convincingly argues with clear logic, specific evidence, and brilliant illustrations on every page.”            -John Durant, Hunter-Gatherer “Compelling . . His writing reflects his passion for scientific truth.”—Chicago Sun-Times. . This is probably the most important book for our times. Having started on a Low carb diet due to IBS symptoms ,I have lost over 10 pounds in approx six weeks and have cut all sugars and bread and pasta out of my diet including dairy. Taubes has done us a great service by bringing these issues to the table.”            -Dennis Rosen, The Boston Globe “Less dense and easier to read [than Good Calories, Bad Calories] but no less revelatory.”            -Jeff Baker, The Oregonian “Taubes’s critique is so pointed and vociferous that reading him will change the way you look at calories, the food pyramid, and your daily diet.”            -Men’s Journal “Gary Taubes is a science journalist’s science journalist, who researches topics to the point of obsession—actually, well beyond that point—and never dumbs things down for readers.”             -John Horgan, Scientific American “Important . To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. In 'Why we get fat', he simplifies his language but maintains the high quality of his arguments. Basically, this is a literature review of all the studies about losing weight. Please try again. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? The author has done much research and is very knowledgeable and explains things in laymen terms . Excellent read! . © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, See all details for Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It. For me it has cemented the idea that I want to eliminate as much sugar and processed food as possible and reduce the amount of starch vegetables. This page works best with JavaScript. An interesting read and has some good information contained in it. Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat makes Taubes' crucial argument newly accessible to a wider audience. Featuring a new afterword with answers to frequently asked questions. I highly recommend this book if you are borderline diabetic or simply need to shed a few pounds healthily and control your sugar levels and any food intolerances which you may have. I am sad that I have lived through the mis-information of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Thought provoking alternative to food & nutrition messages out there today and well-based in science. Taubes has done us a great service by bringing these issues to the table." . I don't really know how sustainable the diet is ,but I'm sure a treat meal every now and then would help to fill the need to overeat those sweet and tasty carbs . This excellent book, built on sound research and common sense, contains essential information.”            -Larry Cox, Tucson Citizen “This brave, paradigm-shifting man uses logic and the primary literature to unhinge the nutritional mantra of the last 80 years.”            -Choice “Aggressive . What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid? In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Can be a bit repetitive though. I was very interested in how to be lean but still eat eggs ,meat ,fish and the green vegetables that I love so much. Thankfully, he allows himself to express his opinions more strongly in powerful and amusing ways,he also updates his references and there is new material included.He points the way to excellent health citing the best evidence and frankly debunks the many myths around food and diets. This is a great opportunity to change your life. He said: “William was longing to meet [Meghan] and so was Catherine, so you know, being our neighbours, we managed to get that in quite a few times now and Catherine has been absolutely -“ Really enjoyed this book and the first of its kind I've read in regards to this topic of low carb diets. This is a necessary read for anyone concerned about optimal lifelong health. Taubes does the important and extraordinary work of pulling it all together for us.”—Seattle Post-Intelligencer “Clear and accessible . . "Why we get fat' is Taubes follow-up book from 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' which was a fantastic book but very heavy on technical and scientific detail and thus quite inaccessible to the lay person. . Trust the science. . This is an excellent read and I'd recommend this book to anyone who is serious about keeping healthy and specifically to be a healthy weight. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It's amazing after a few weeks how you no longer crave the sweet carbs and starchy potatoes and pasta and look forward to meat with lovely leafy green veg . . Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat is an essential guide to nutrition and weight management. In 'Why we get fat', he simplifies his language but maintains the high quality of his arguments. . Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 29 November 2018. Clearly, obviously, succinctly, Taubes shows us how scientific theories that explained obesity as a hormonal rather than moral issue were abandoned during World War II for simplistic theories based on thermodynamics that work in physics, but make no sense when used to describe the behavior of complex biological systems.”            -LowCarbConfidential, “Taubes stands the received wisdom about diet and exercise on its head.”—The New York Times“Well-researched and thoughtful. Science-based rethink explains fat gain & retention. Pre-order Books. . . Highly recommended to anyone! ... and why they are not (yet) the recommended weight loss method for the NHS/ Public Health England etc. This is a seminal book . Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, To add this eBook, remove any 1 eBook from your cart or buy the 10 eBooks present in the Prime members enjoy unlimited free, fast delivery on eligible items, video streaming, ad-free music, exclusive access to deals & more. I highly recommend this book and the others by the author. The book makes 100% sense and is a very easy read although very repetitive in parts . Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to movies, TV shows, music, Kindle e-books, Twitch Prime, and more. However it has to be balanced with fruit and veg for me. Can be a little repetitious but the author is establishing a pattern. Thought provoking alternative to food & nutrition messages out there today and well-based in science. Taubes does the important and extraordinary work of pulling it all together for us.”            -Karen Bentley, Seattle Post-Intelligencer “Clear and accessible . Thankfully, he allows himself to express his opinions more strongly in powerful and amusing ways,he also updates his references and there is new material included.He points the way to excellent health citing the best evidence and frankly debunks the many myths around food and diets. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to movies, TV shows, music, Kindle e-books, Twitch Prime, and more. Building upon his critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, bestselling author Gary Taubes revisits these urgent questions. Why We Get Fat is the book to give to friends, doctors, congressmen, and anyone else who wants to understand the futility of our current nutritional advice . Why We Get Fat is the book to give to friends, doctors, congressmen, and anyone else who wants to understand the futility of our current nutritional advice . However it has to be balanced with fruit and veg for me. Reviewed in Australia on 19 February 2017. I do feel much healthier ,sleep better and have more energy . As an award-winning scientific journalist who spent the past decade rigorously tracking down and assimilating obesity research, he’s uniquely qualified to understand and present the big picture of scientific opinions and results.