When I first looked at this article and saw that teenagers were volunteering to work on crisis lines I thought it was a terrible idea, but then I kept reading. There's no formula for dealing with it. I myself do not find a problem in a teacher informing the class about what our government is doing to our society and how it affects us, however I do find a problem in asking the student for their opinion on the government’s actions. She knows me better than I know myself and she always knows exactly how I feel. This was strictly a CYA maneuver by school administrators who have to take every threat seriously. Playing basketball can be very therapeutic, playing basketball helps me cool off and get away from what is bothering me. Please note: Student comments have been lightly edited for length, but otherwise appear exactly as they were originally submitted. In addition to helping those they talk to over the phone, these teens would also be able to bring these skills into their everyday life and may end up helping someone who is too afraid to call at all. Personally, this makes me feel uncomfortable to share my opinion on such a controversial topic that is centered around either what my parents have said or what I have recently learned with my peers who have such different opinions and views on the same subject. I know a lot of people probably read that and thought, "Sure. They want to be told what to teach and how to teach it. It bears a weight for a very long time; especially if you are very involved with the person that asked for advice or help. Just don’t ask about what side people are on and if they think what is going on is good or bad or correct or incorrect. Why, then, isn’t the subject taught in schools? Public Education Is in Deep Trouble in the Age of Trump ». The messy hair because I was rushing out of my house to make it on time. If you talk about politics in a more factual way, such as “This is what is happening now” instead of “The impeachment inquiry is a really good idea and who agrees” Politics can be a touchy subject if you are too opinionated around a group of kids in all different backgrounds with parents of different backgrounds and beliefs. Principal) Students can learn about the steps in the impeachment process, and about the government. I think that politics should be presented in a factual way, but not discussed. In an education complete with dance, drama, and geography, it seems a glaring oversight not to include politics. Nice sentiment. A person with their mouth shut, keeping what’s really going on inside (even though everything feels like it’s going to spill out at any second.). It is important to understand that school should not teach you what to think, but rather how to think. I’m petrified. Ultimately, adults have more life experience and maturity to give teens advice that will result in them making the best choices. Tick (Stupid-), Tick (Worthless-), Tick (Disgusting-) The spiral continues on throughout the night. I had been one month clean, no cutting, no more letting my depression run the show; Yet today I fell. But, before we get to their comments, we’d like to welcome three new classes to the conversation this week: CNMI; Rexburg, Idaho; and West New York Schools. By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. I had gotten better and wasn’t in the constant state of my that me, the biggest disappointment to burden this Earth, was better off leaving it. District Leadership - Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment, PD My experience with teachers bringing up recent political issues in discussions has not been great because it’s usually very easy to tell which side they lean on. Therefore, it should be allowed in all schools to talk about something important that will be a talking point in the future. I can’t put my finger on the tune. That has to begin with a clear-eyed analysis of what our schools have become, and how teacher education programs support them. Think about the last election; if the school said that Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton were going to ruin this country, students would most likely believe it because it came from an adult. If you want to teach about constitution and law that's one thing but to push you views on impressionable kids that's wrong this is border line indoctrination. I saw how much work these teens put into training and being prepared to help their peers who call into the life line. Mrs. A was completely forthcoming about her position in terms of politics and was willing to civilly discuss this with those who disagreed with her. — Delaney Daughtridge, Hoggard High School in Wilmington, NC. But public school classrooms are precisely the place where students should be learning how to … I am scared to say what I want, I am scared to write an essay in opposition, and I am tired of the same political party's view shoved down my throat constantly. Pushing partisan politics is a huge overstretch of power and, quite legitimately, does not belong in classrooms. All told, barely 1 in 5 parents hold teachers, schools, districts or states “most responsible” for a child’s learning. I start gasping for air, life-sustaining air. When I’m in a crisis, mostly, I just box everything up. I try to move through problems myself and keep my real emotions inside, and don’t let anyone else help. Superintendent Mrs. A was commonly respected, even by those who disagreed with her completely. I always try to deal with problems in my life by myself. I lost trust in people long ago and I figured that I only really have myself.