Grammar Quiz #18: Who vs. Example: I don’t know to (who, whom) I should send the package. As I have said here before, I cannot parse a sentence, and I can never tell anything about subjects and objects and all that stuff. a) who. f t p. Choose the correct answer for each gap below, then click the "Check" button to check your answers. There are lots more grammar … 3. Whom is the direct object of the verb. Of course, if we want to travel this road, I have elsewhere suggested What/wham and that/tham just to balance things out. In everyday speech, we don’t need to sweat the whom. Quiz: Who or Whom? I am very grateful to be a native English speaker because otherwise I’d be totally lost. Tham is the direct object of the verb met in the subordinate clause, tham we saw. In standard English who is used as a subject or a predicate nominative. 4. Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #11097: Who, Whom, Which, or Whose? This was quite appropriate because “Hot Shots” was a direct spoof of “Top Gun” – one of Mr. Cruise’s huge successes. If anything, people are trying to get rid of whom and just use who all the time because most people do that already. Give the found money to ______ needs it. That man in the ball cap is, I believe, the one ______ took my purse. 3. Whom By Mark Nichol. In standard English who is used as a subject or a predicate nominative. Abbot and Costello at their most brilliant! 4. Whom Worksheet . 1. This is a bit tricky because whatever follows the preposition to. The new department head ______ we met yesterday has already resigned. Grammar Exercise - Who vs Whom . Do the exercises below on too and enough and click on the button to check your answers. You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed! 4. To have you offered the flowers? 5. 2. are you going to recommend? Here is a short quiz that gives you practice in choosing who/whom and whoever/whomever in more complex sentences. This is one of the most difficult things in English, IMO, and even a language reactionary like me finds it unnecessary, really. Whom Worksheet Give the found money to whoever needs it. Whom Worksheet Worksheet. 3. We make no distinction for What and That, and it’s just fine. If I can substitute the word “him” (which ends with an M), then I use whom (which also ends with an M). We will do whamever you recommend. Anyone who has has paid his dues may vote in the club’s election. * *Answers are based on the guidelines in Claire Cook’s Line by Line. ) 2. 5. Test your ability below. This one won the Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director, and Best Writing – Original Screenplay. Whom is used as an object (direct, indirect, object of preposition, etc.). ______ did you choose to serve on your committee? This was repeated, including in an old film clip, in the brilliant motion picture “Rain Man”. Want to improve your English in five minutes a day? Whuddaya think? Who is the subject of the subordinate clause, who has paid his dues. Who, Whom, Whose Exercise. Interactive Test Select the best version: Clear My Answers. b) who. 3. dictionary is on the table? b) whoever. Compounds, such as whoever and whomever, follow these same rules. 1. a) whom. did you ask for directions? In examples #2, #4 and #5, I would substitute and say “HE needs the money,” “HE took my purse,” and “HE paid his dues.” Therefore, I would use the word who. Wham is the direct object of the verb. You is the subject of the verb did choose. Home > Language Arts Worksheets > Who vs. So in examples #1and #3 above, I can substitute and say “We chose HIM” and “We met HIM.” Therefore, I know that I need to use the word whom. (Before doing the exercises you may want to read the lesson on who or whom ) Choose the correct answer (who or whom?) Who vs. That man in the ball cap is, I believe, the one who took my purse. You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free. However, the whole subordinate clause whoever needs it is the object of the preposition to; thus whoever becomes the subject in that clause.