This means that it is vinegar and mustard based, as opposed to the ketchup and molasses based sauces of the mid and southwest. The addition of ketchup also tends to round out the tanginess of the vinegar, balancing the flavors quite nicely. Check out our latest episode and hear all of our ideas for streamlining your cooking world! In the east, barbecue sauce is usually a simple combination of vinegar, sugar and red pepper. Vinegar BBQ sauce is a staple in North Carolina. Reduce heat to medium-low and, stirring occasionally, simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by about one-third and thickened slightly. Tag @thecookful on Instagram and hashtag it #thecookful. For Brittany, this often includes her favorite foods, such as fresh strawberries or a square of dark chocolate! Thanks so much for subscribing to The Cookful! There was an error submitting your subscription. Reduce the heat and allow it simmer for about 15 minutes. Cook on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Please check your email for a message from me and access to your FREE ebooks. This thin, vinegar-based sauce is extremely easy to make and is the ultimate BBQ sauce for smoked or grilled pork. This love of food led her to become a registered dietitian and food blogger at Your Choice Nutrition, where she encourages you to live a healthy life in your unique way. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to cool. NOTE: TheCookful may receive a commission on purchases made through Amazon or other affiliate links. Your email address will not be published. To really bring the flavors together, you combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Did you know there’s a difference in Carolina BBQ Sauces? This is really true for the whole south as we’ve already shown with our Texas BBQ Sauce and Alabama White BBQ Sauce. ★☆. The Carolinas have a few signature bbq sauces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Thanks so much for subscribing to The Cookful! ★☆ If you’re in South Carolina, you’ll find Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce reigns supreme. Thanks to … The Carolinas have a few signature bbq sauces. Let it cool, toss it with some pulled pork and you’re ready to show your face at that picnic. This Carolina BBQ Sauce is similar to North Carolina BBQ sauce with a few adaptations. It takes eastern-style sauce and adds a little bit of ketchup. Please check your email for a message from me and access to your FREE ebook. Sign up and get our free Air Fryer Appetizers Ebook today! As a self-proclaimed foodie, Brittany loves to cook, bake and of course, eat! Bbq sauce is a staple in many homes across North and South Carolina – and when I say staple, I mean don’t get caught at any picnic, holiday gathering, Sunday supper, tailgate party or weeknight barbecue without it. Your email address will not be published. Replies to my comments But in the North, there are two different varieties winning over people’s taste buds. Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce is a sour, tangy, and spicy sauce that originated in North Carolina. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe – #TheCookful, How to Cook a Whole Chicken in The Instant Pot. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors brings out the absolute best in grilled or smoked pork or chicken. This brings a deeper red hue to the sauce as well as some sweetness, but still keeps a thin consistency like the bbq sauce from the east. Don't subscribe Please try again. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. This Carolina BBQ Sauce is similar to North Carolina BBQ sauce with a few adaptations. In the west, Carolina BBQ Sauce (like this one), also known as Piedmont or Lexington style, is king. Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links meaning that if you click on them and buy something we get a teensy commission, at no extra cost to you. Instant Pot vs. Crock Pot: What’s the Difference? Bbq sauce is a staple in many homes across North and South Carolina – and when I say staple, I mean don’t get caught at any picnic, holiday gathering, Sunday supper, tailgate party or weeknight barbecue without it. Vinegar BBQ Sauce. All This is Carolina-style barbecue sauce. Try our North Carolina sauce. ★☆ TMI with Christine is a podcast where we give you way too much information about meal-planning and time-management. ★☆ ★☆ However, depending on which door you knock on you’ll find not every region agrees on which bbq sauce is best. You can also subscribe without commenting. All opinions are those of The Cookful editorial team.