Give what can often be a predictable dish an unexpected Mexican twist. Wondering what to do with leftover refried beans? It’s easy, too – just saute a few onions in a skillet, mash up some cooked beans, and put them right in the skillet along with the onions to cook a little bit. I always have the ingredients for this cheesy bean burrito recipe on hand. Having some of your ingredients already prepped saves you a few extra steps, so it’s a time-saver, too. This dish always delights my family and friends at potlucks and gatherings.—Margene Skaggs, Guinda, California. If you like it spicy, add a little chopped jalapeno pepper to the skillet when cooking the beef. Allow your guest to squeeze out the softened garlic as needed. Around since the 1980s, layered taco dip has remained a favorite. Linda Larsen is a journalist, quick-cooking and slow-cooking expert, and accomplished cookbook author with over 30 years of experience in testing and developing recipes. The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Place the ground beef mixture, refried beans, tomatoes and all other toppings in separate bowls and let diners build their own tostadas to their liking. This recipe combines the ease of canned ingredients with the heartiness of chili. It is then baked until bubbling and delicious. Strategy #3: Make refried beans. "Refried" comes from the Spanish dish frijoles refritos, where refritos means "well-fried.". We had tostadas with homemade refried beans for Cinco de Mayo, and I have quite a heap left. Take refried beans, beat some eggs into them, dice a little onion, cilantro and bread crumbs. I'm looking for something different than your typical burritos, etc. Top with a sprinkling of Cotija cheese and a dollop of sour cream. You simply deep fry the tortillas until crisp and puffed up. This recipe is somewhat mild when it comes to spice, so if you prefer a bit of heat feel free to add some jalapeno. Cooking the... “The whole family will love this. Now you have homemade cooked beans to use when you wish. Also easy... For pigs in a blanket Mexican style, we add refried beans and green chilies. Or squeeze out the cloves into a small serving dish. These are the crispiest, most flavorful roast potatoes you'll ever make. Everyone loves a good side of refried beans with taco night, but did you know that’s just the start when it comes to recipes with refried beans? The flavors of a taco are translated to this easy-to-make Mexican pizza. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, 23 Recipes for a Festive Cinco de Mayo Menu, 19 Dinner-Ready Recipes You Can Make From Ground Meat, 30 Bean Recipes That Are Hearty and Delicious, 21 Delicious Ways to Make Every Day Taco Tuesday, 54 Dinner Casserole Recipes for Easy Family Meals. Whether you are a vegetarian or not, you may prefer to use vegetarian refried beans, which are made with olive oil instead of lard. you can make a nice bean soup with them (I’m thinking smoky, pork bean soup), or mix them with greek yoghurt for a great dip. They are perfect for a Mexican side dish. From burrito bowls to casseroles, it’s easy to bring leftover rice and beans back to life with these 17 recipes. You can buy already made tostada shells, or make them yourself. Pizza doesn't always have to be topped with tomato sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Refried beans—simply-cooked pinto beans that are mashed and fried in either lard, bacon fat, or olive oil—are not only inexpensive and high in fiber, but they're also a hearty and tasty base for several recipes.