And while we’re on the topic of feet, refrain from resting your tired tootsies on the chair across from you, no matter how tempting that may be. While these sort of tops are more common in some areas in Seoul home to a younger crowd, such as Hongdae, these pieces of clothing will get you extra negative attention elsewhere. For women, this means avoiding low-cut tops or tank tops that expose the shoulders. If everyone else is sock-footed or in slippers, you should do the same. Again, I learned the hard way! Sorry, lefties! In Korean bathrooms, you’ll see a bin for toilet paper. Typically, in dining situations, the most elder person will take the first bite. Top style tips for South Korea. While this may be considered a rude question in your home country, it’s totally normal in Korean culture as it establishes seniority in a relationship. This is said to look like incense at a funeral. The bottoms of one’s feet are seen as “dirty”, so propping them up on furniture is a big no-no. I was completely surprised (and a little bit offended) by this question when I first moved to Korea. Select one, and let others have a turn before you choose another. Hope you visit soon and have a great time Judith! (Yes, even “number two” tissue.) Some habits that are okay back home are completely taboo in Korea, and won’t help you make new friends. Yahoo ist Teil von Verizon Media. Summers get hot in South Korea, so loose-fitting t-shirts are a good alternative to tank tops. South Korea is such a unique country with a culture like no other. This is a typical Chinese/Japanese etiquette but mostly influence by old Chinese belief. Summers get hot in South Korea, so loose-fitting t-shirts are a good alternative to tank tops. Don’t you dare walk inside with shoes on (unless you want to be viewed as a disrespectful savage!). Instead, you can do a slight bow. This signifies that everyone else can start eating. I was yelled at by a room full of students when I started writing one of their names on the whiteboard using a red marker. Wear inappropriate clothing. All of the mentioned ettiquite is very important. The number four is unlucky in Korea because it sounds similar to the word for “death”. If you’re a man traveling to South Korea for sightseeing and soju, feel free to rock Crocs and a fanny pack. But if you’re a man traveling for business or to work in South Korea, it’s better to overdress than to underdress. By telling us your country of residence we are able to provide you with the most relevant travel insurance information. But, even if you consider yourself a well-mannered globetrotter, there’s likely a few other South Korean faux paus you could break unwittingly if you aren’t privy to them. Bathroom talk time: Yeah, we’re going there! Some men might ogle, and older Korean ladies might scold you (Yes, in public!). When gesturing for someone to come over to you or when hailing a cab, be sure your palm is facing down and you move all your fingers in one sweeping motion. Toss your toilet paper in this instead of the toilet. If you’re a man traveling to South Korea for sightseeing and soju, feel free to rock Crocs and a fanny pack. This means hugs and shoulder pats aren’t welcomed between strangers. Please note that not all content is translated or available to residents of all countries. It’s also considered unlucky to give gifts in fours. Korea has a long, complicated history with Japan that many tourists, long-term foreign residents, and even presidents don’t fully grasp. It’s generally considered impolite to pour your own drink. “Give me a venti decaf with legs, and leave room,” the man repeated, this time slower but annoyed. Damit Verizon Media und unsere Partner Ihre personenbezogenen Daten verarbeiten können, wählen Sie bitte 'Ich stimme zu.' I love their culture. She said nothing, and she took her shoes off, anyway. We’ve learned the hard way! You are allowed to be stylish but do not wear short skirts or shorts and low cut t-shirts. Dies geschieht in Ihren Datenschutzeinstellungen. Korea is an open minded and developed country so most of the things you wear would be acceptable. I learned the awkward way that this isn’t a Korean tradition. Never ever write someone’s name in red ink. This includes personalizing content and advertising. Lastly, avoid songs that aren't upbeat. Be prepared for complete strangers to ask your age upon meeting. Accept and Present Things with Both Hands Blowing your nose in public is considered, especially while eating, rude. Search for a topic, destination or article, We use cookies to understand how you use our site and to improve your experience. Many East/Southeast Asian countries also apply many of these rules. Is there anything that could make you sick in South Korea? 2. When you’re done with your business, just throw the tissue into the basket. Just bear in mind one thing. Don’t make that mistake! When shaking hands, use both hands – or at least place your left hand on your right wrist for support. They make for a great night out with friends or co-workers, as long as you follow a few basic (and common sense) rules. If you’re eating with others, let them pour your glass, and return the favor. You may notice many buildings don’t have a fourth floor, or it will be labelled “F”. This is a bad omen, as dead people’s names are written in red. While short-shorts and skirts are commonplace for women in Korea’s major cities, exposed shoulders and low-cut tops are considered taboo elsewhere. What Not To Wear In South Korea. Making this gesture palm-up, as is common in many countries, is insulting in Korea because it’s how they call their dogs. You may be excited when you see the song list, but resist the urge to plug in the numbers for every Spice Girl song in the book. Don't get caught out by the weather or poor manners! The Email address or Password is incorrect, World Nomads Contributor - Mon, 26 Feb 2018, The World Nomads Podcast: Road to Recovery, 7 Things You Should Know Before Visiting South Africa, The World Nomads Podcast: The Women Supporting Travel, Trekking Hadrian’s Wall During Winter (and COVID-19), Peru: What Travelers Can Expect During COVID-19. But if you’re a man traveling for business or to work in South Korea, it’s better to overdress than to underdress. After being in Korea for only a year and a half, I can tell if a foreigner on the subway is new to South Korea or not just by their speaking volume. Noraebangs (karaoke rooms) are super popular in Korea. But, do you really want to be that one “waygookin” (foreigner) who clogs the toilet and overflows the restroom? If you feel ridiculous handing a cashier a bill with both hands, try this: Place your left hand on the inside of your right wrist as you extend your arm with the payment. (Please do not do a full half-angle bow for your friends, or they’ll think you’re very strange.) The barista nodded her head, punched something into the register, and pointed to the card reader. If everyone is wearing shoes, it’s OK to keep them on.