At least with different dishes, you can talk about your individual meals if the conversation dwindles. Spaghetti and Meatballs. The lineup of don’ts includes mussels, chicken wings & salads. There is nothing more unappetizing to watch than rare, juicy burger drippings running down your dinner companion’s chin. -Vikas Shetty, media professional, Mumbai, “Burgers left crumbs and sauce on my beard and patty on her lap”. California residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data. Just thought it would be apt to post up pre V-day. There was nothing romantic about that evening. Safe to say, beans are not the best choice for date night special. The worst of the worst. Attention! They will be larger than your mouth, and you will look like someone who can’t feed themselves properly. Alternative: If you're really feeling tubed meat, you might as well order sausage. You are not going to a club on a first date—we hope! Safe to say, beans are not the best choice for date night special. Slurping and chewing your long noodles will only add to the awkward pauses in conversation. First up, starters. Soup, especially any kind of noodle soup, means slurping. He didn’t even tell me, I only found out once I reached home. But I convinced her. Spaghetti and meatballs: Let’s be honest, the date is not going to turn out like Lady and the Tramp. Don't pretend like you know what you're saying if you don't. Disclaimer: The tragic experiences and all views expressed in this text have been sourced from one girl’s group chat. Just no. Ok, that’s enough food hating for me. OK, promise? Unless you want to spend your night holding in the copious amounts of gas you've just accumulated in your body, I'd save that side order of veggies for a night with your Netflix. You have the perfect outfit, the perfect itinerary, and the perfect restaurant. Onion and garlic—your worst enemies during date night special. Seaweed has a unique, salty taste like most pickled and fermented foods, but it has a much weaker odor. Alternative: Grilled salmon. Which leads to my first no-no: While on the topic of meat. And not to judge, but if your date doesn’t like these options pass on date number two. Ever. My date looked at me weirdly throughout dinner. When the waiter offers you complimentary extra napkins, it should be an immediate red flag. Don’t try. Watch this space! The patty slipped out a few times for the both us, and while I managed to finish it with just a little damage to my beard (I am sure it wasn’t pretty to watch). There is nothing wrong with being prepared for a first date. To prepare, people plan the perfect outfit, location, conversation topics, etc. If you're trying to go home with your date later, you won't, because of your pungent breath. What people rarely consider though, is what not to do or say.. Soup, especially any kind of noodle soup, means slurping. We want to inspire readers to take part in their city. Mussels, while tasty little suckers, are notoriously messy. Have a special occasion coming up? Don’t Ruin It at Dinner: What to Order and Not Order on a First Date. Though it came with a crab cracker, it was awkward to eat for date night special and we ended up with dirty hands. We know that there are a lot of fun and alternative date options in this great city of ours, so call us old fashion but we prefer going out to dinner on a date. Readers tell us about their worst food experiences on a date. Boringggg. This small dough dumpling is easy to eat and will save you from a shirt-stain disaster. Alternative: Steak. Lifestyle The 10 WORST Foods to Order on a First Date A first date is already awkward. That’s a line that should not be crossed. I was famished so I ordered a double-patty burger with extra sauces and meats for both of us (Another tip: never order for your date). And just like mussels these are gonna make a mess from your hands to your face. Don't order anything that requires a lot of man-handling, it's just not attractive. So make sure these don't make it to your date night special menu. A restaurant that was renowned for seafood—that’s where we went for date night special. If you can handle the heat then good for you, but don't risk it. I grew up with two off the boat Italian grandmothers who taught me the joy of cooking and feeding people. Which is why we’ll skip the things to eat and let you simply read the portion on what not to eat for the main below and you’ll be good to go! All that slurping and chewing ate into our conversation time and I also ended up with a few red sauce stains on my blouse. Spaghetti: as an Italian myself it kills me to say this, but unless your spoon, fork and twirl game could impress Mario Batali, choose another form of pasta. While it may be on the pricier side, it's neater and easier to eat. Now you to know what to keep out of your date night special. I am a non-vegetarian and can’t say no to a plate of juicy pork ribs or chicken wings. So don't dress in a way that inspires him to grind against you to Rihanna's newest song. I was famished so I ordered a double-patty burger with extra sauces and meats for both of us (Another tip: never order for your date). -Sonal Salvi, gym trainer, Hyderabad, “Spicy food will lead to a lot of waterworks”, I had been courting a friend of a friend for a while now and we finally went out for dinner to an Indian restaurant for date night special. And if you're going out to dinner, getting the wrong type of food can make everything even more uncomfortable. And one last pasta rule: ordering squid ink pasta is not ok. You will dye your entire mouth black no matter how much water you drink between bites, just say no. Just think of custards as the grown-up version of pudding, which is why we love them. So don't dress in a way that inspires him to grind against you to Rihanna's newest song. You know what I mean, it’s kind of loose, viscous-y and should just be avoided. You are so welcome. After I munched my way through dinner and was about to order dessert, I started feeling queasy. For appetizers, crostini and/or cheese plates are easy winners. Don’t order a salad just because you want to give him the impression that you eat healthy.