As a young Christian, I believe that I did that to a large extent. Give me something else. They are things we do to cooperate with God in living in an intimate love relationship with him. Discipline is one of the hardest things for us to learn. Like, “On this Veterans Day, let us remember the servi, How can I pray for you today?? And they are in the Scripture, and we want to teach them. You will develop not only a deeper relationship with God, but with all people surrounding you, because spiritual disciplines help develop better attitudes, more stable emotions, good thoughts, and kindness towards all. Like the lady you cursed under your breath while driving the other day? For instance, as I deny my physical appetites (fasting), I can increase my spiritual clarity. I don’t have time to add to that. 35 DAYS OF SHOWING UP CONSISTENT, Joy Spiritual disciplines help enrich our lives and in turn help us enrich the lives of others around us. And I say that as a note to pastors and teachers, people who are teaching all those spiritual disciplines. Discipline is one of the hardest things for us to learn. So glad there’s grace for my lack of discipline, too! I thought I was growing myself by memorizing Scripture, doing Bible studies and listening to good teaching. ( Log Out /  Throughout the gospels we see Jesus: If Jesus thought spiritual disciplines were critical for himself, then they’re even more important for us. The answer to that is very clear. That is something you do. Now let’s get into the really deep things of God, the spiritual disciplines.” No, the spiritual disciplines are derived from the gospel, not divorced from it, and they only take us deeper into an understanding of the gospel. Then we can grow in his grace and produce fruit. Don Whitney is professor of biblical spirituality and associate dean at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. Do you know someone who would be encouraged by this Blog Post? Jen, thanks for explaining so clearly and simply what spiritual disciplines are and why we should practice them? Thanks for sharing! And Don, I know you hear this question all the time, because it’s an important one. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth” (1 Corinthians 3:6-7). When prayer is boring, you won’t feel like praying. Having a close intimate relationship with God should be the  greatest priority in your life, and if it’s not perhaps it’s time to evaluate your priorities and realign them. If you’re serious about becoming spiritually mature, spiritual disciplines will play an important part in your life. Think of some of our finest athletes. Maybe it’s a substance abuse you hide in the dark? Mama to Hailey & Emily Thank you for having me. What is your answer? You don’t need any other notes. Change ). They help us see His will for our lives more clearly so that we can live the life He desires for us. 8 Spiritual Disciplines: A Series to Transform Your Life & Grow Closer to God! January 1 is a good date to reset our spiritual practices. That is a spiritual discipline. Despite what we occasionally might think, we’re not spirit beings trapped in physical bodies. Because each sport requires them to improve individual skills, an athlete has a specific workout and diet. I appreciate it. “Where can I go from Thy Spirit? . 6) And the last characteristic of the spiritual disciplines is that they are means and not ends. Just open your Bible. Or perhaps you just needed to “vent” about the coworker that irritates the crap out of you? Most of them have a strong sense of discipline because they have to build up strength, endurance, and skill to be good at a particular sport. 4) A fourth characteristic of spiritual disciplines is that those found in Scripture are sufficient for knowing and experiencing God and for growing in Christlikeness. Spiritual disciplines enable us to maintain that connection. Biblically, these disciplines have included: These exercises aren’t to quick-fix your spirituality. 4:8). Please try again or contact website administrator. But the biblical way to grow in being more like Jesus is through the rightly motivated doing of the biblical, spiritual disciplines. M.P.A., University of Illinois–Springfield. My sources for this blog came from prayer, my knowledge of the Scriptures, my Masters Degree in Theology from Talbot Seminary in Spiritual Formation, Dallas Willard’s books such as Renovation of the Heart, and the Navigators. But it’s not like spirituality is a muscle that we can work until it’s big and strong—Is it? Now to pray about the same old things is normal. Here are five reasons why they’re important. I need to practice the daily discipline of asking God to enable me throughout the day to see and do what it takes to truly love her. Most of them have a strong sense of discipline because they have to build up strength, endurance, and skill to be good at a particular sport. Can we train ourselves to be godly? Check out Jesus Film's "Walking with Jesus (Africa)" series and its Walking in the Spirit episode, to experience a community in Africa learn the importance of walking with God and living by His Spirit. The answer to that is very clear. Habits that make us more like Christ and develop an intimate relationship with God. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5). ( Log Out /  Becoming more disciplined in our faith is a good thing, as long as those disciplines are handled responsibly. They are not graces. I only have a very few minutes every day, and I am doing the best I can. But you might say: You don’t get it. I’m excited for you to share with others! God designed us as a vital mixture of body, soul (will), and spirit. “Spiritual discipline, then, is developing soul reflexes so that we know how to live. We’ll talk more about the new book later. This "intentional process" speaks to the part we play in partnering with God in our transformation. There are two types of spiritual disciplines -- those that are personal and those that are corporate. It’s 2:00pm again & I’m longingly looki, It’s early in the morning, and the coffee pot ha, It’s officially soup weather in Ky, and I couldn. The Scriptures are sufficient for that. A relationship that is satisfying, loving, meaningful, and transforming. They are not a way to earn points with him. Our lives don’t change dramatically from one day to the next very often. A spiritual discipline is a good habit that allows you to remain open to God and develop yourself spiritually. Please share! Thanks and continue to grow in grace and God continue to bless and use you to be a blessing to others like me. We can’t will or force this metamorphosis, but we do participate in it. Keep wri, DAY 14/21 OF MBFA 5) A fifth description of spiritual disciplines is that they are derived from the gospel, not divorced from the gospel. By combining them and practicing them all routinely, you will see noticeable transformations in your life. What’s important is acknowledging our bad habits, moving forward, AND knowing that God’s grace is more than enough for all of us. All of our resources exist to guide you toward everlasting joy in Jesus Christ. Typically, spiritual disciplines are physical activities that empower us spiritually. It is shaped by the Word of God. The reason that is important is otherwise we leave ourselves open to calling anything we want a spiritual discipline. 5:22-23)”. Or less than obedient to your spouse? I am scheduled to talk on discipline with a group, while studying , I came across your page on 8 spiritual discipline, I m truly blessed. An athlete works hard to excel at a particular sport. But I learned over time that our practice of the disciplines only opens the door for God to work in our lives. Telling yourself its really not that bad, but knowing it is? We’ve also considered a few practical ways to make that happen. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Well 2016 is here, and with a new year brings renewed interest in disciplines and particularly the spiritual disciplines. I’m intrigued. The purpose of spiritual discipline is the development of our inner being, that which has been transformed by Christ at salvation (2 Corinthians 5:17). Rightly practiced, the spiritual disciplines take us deeper into the glories of the gospel of Jesus Christ, not away from it as though we have moved on to some advanced level of Christianity. Professor, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. With the intake of the Word of God it looks like this: Even our most devoted daily Bible readers will read a chapter, read three chapters, however much it is. I can say working through each discipline so far has definitely helped me develop some great habits, strengthened my faith, and my relationship with God is stronger than it has ever been before. Should the disciplines of Bible studies, going on retreats, having quiet times and doing ministry be the focus of our Christian lives? If you … So we don’t want to think of spirituality and the spiritual disciplines just as something we do by ourselves. #truth Talk to God about what comes to mind from the Word of God, and you will never again say the same old things.