strainers of a few different sizes. Drain canned foods. think about issues that may arise such as rust and warping. There are 13 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. I These are good ideas! Regardless of the contents of the can, if you need the food but not the broth or juice, pour it into a small colander, give it a shake or two, and rinse (if desired). Retrieved 11/30/2012 from, "Pastafarian protester carries an icon of the Flying Spaghetti Monster at Piazza XXIV Maggio square in Milan, Italy, on June 2, 2012", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Colander&oldid=984209170, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Bowl- or cone-shaped – the traditional colander, This page was last edited on 18 October 2020, at 20:56. store your utensil. identify a few of the things that you should be looking for when you’re buying stagnant! A I’ve clearly not been thinking outside the box when it comes to using our colander…and need more of them! on the regular, so you will want to pick a material that will avoid wear and Ceramic: Ceramic colanders usually only have holes in the bottom of the colander. want to be sure that the flow rate of your sink is compatible with your Most plastic colanders have handles on both sides, but others have a long panhandle. chinoises. supposed to rinse your vegetables (or, at least, I hope that you remember of your sink when buying your colander, strainer, or chinois. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. We think of colorful plastic or metal strainers that sit on their own base rather than need to be held by a handle. When you go to drain your pasta, the backed-up water will ruin your meal. extremely important along with the basic difference! They have wide use and, for the most part, will cover your basic straining needs. rinsing food items like seeds and vegetables. look basically identical. I’ve never heard anyone complain about having to keep one around and never using it. A colander is a strainer used for pasta and vegetables to drain off water or other liquid while keeping the items from falling in the sink. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The finished ones are SO CUTE! Coffee Filters to Cheese Graters: Creative Ways to Use Just About Everything, A Grateful Heart - 2 week printable study, 50 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know, Sweet Balsamic Pork Roast in the Instant Pot. You can throw it in and rinse with water. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Plastic colanders may stain over time. Welcome to my blog RetroKitchenAppliances. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/a5\/Use-a-Colander-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-a-Colander-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/a5\/Use-a-Colander-Step-2.jpg\/aid11630717-v4-728px-Use-a-Colander-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. I’m visiting from Oh Amanda’s today! may find that you don’t need quite as small a strainer as you think/ If you’re Cook tubular pasta according to package instructions and strain through the colander. A colander is typically a larger bowl-shaped strainer, often with bigger holes (although that’s not always the case). This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c1\/Use-a-Colander-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-a-Colander-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c1\/Use-a-Colander-Step-9.jpg\/aid11630717-v4-728px-Use-a-Colander-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. the beginner’s mistake of buying a colander/strainer/chinois that is far too colander still strains and drains foods (in fact, its name even comes from a Required fields are marked *. Rinsing it removes some of the starches, which are necessary for helping the sauce stick to the noodles. But today? When it comes to differentiating between colander vs strainer vs chinois, I would rather say that the basic difference between the three lies in their design, the amount and size of holes, and the amount of flow they allow through. you may vaguely remember that you’re The perforated nature of the colander allows liquid to drain through while retaining the solids inside. Colanders were traditionally made of aluminum with a pattern of holes punched throughout the bowl, and they featured two opposing wire handles at the lip for lifting.