Birdy was born on 15 May 1996, in Lymington, England, United Kingdom. I've always been a writer and I started writing when I was eight and that's one of the most important things to me. ", In awe of her sister's strength, Matt said in a talking head, "My sister is tough. Bird has also been vocal where it concerns Noah Brown's wife, Rhain Alicia Brown, as Radar Online reported in March 2019. As of this writing, it doesn't appear Birdy has an Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter account. Mike Smith, Warner/Chappell UK managing director, said that Birdy was an incredible talent, there was a lot more to come from her and he looked forward to working with her in the years ahead. She is pure blue blood. Jasmine Lucilla Elizabeth Jennifer van den Bogaerde[5] (born 15 May 1996), better known by her stage name Birdy, is an English singer, songwriter and musician. Ahead of her show in Shanghai for Zai Live. They're kind of like when you meet an old friend after a long time - I know them really well and it feels comfortable. Her mother would play classical music and her father would play "poppier records" like Tracy Chapman and The Beatles. At the 2014 Brit Awards, she was nominated for Best British Female Solo Artist. In September 2013, Birdy covered a song entitled "Let Her Go" by Passenger, live on BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge. [39] The album itself was released on 25 March 2016. In 2009, Birdy performed live on piano for BBC Radio 3's Pianothon in London. But just because Birdy is shyer than her spunky and outgoing little sis, Rainy, it doesn't mean she's weak. [33] The single was released on 11 September 2015 via digital download in the UK. Birdy did tours of America and Australia in 2013. [11], In 2008, while still a 12-year-old pupil at Durlston Court Prep School,[12] Birdy won the UK talent contest Open Mic UK, a spinoff of the Live and Unsigned competition. "I think Noah, you know, naming me Eli's godmother was kind of his way of wanting to fix things," she said about her responsibility toward Eli. "All of her brothers talked about having a sister to watch over and take care of, but as she grew, even at a young age, it became more and more obvious this wasn't going to be the case," Birdy's dad, Billy Brown, said about her fierce nature, per Discovery's website. Her father is Rupert Oliver Benjamin van den Bogaerde, a writer (including of Daybreak Into Darkness under the name Rupert Bogarde); her mother is Sophie Patricia (née Roper-Curzon), a concert pianist. 77,102, opening ceremony of the London Paralympic Games, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Twelve year-old 'Birdy' wins UK talent contest, "Review: Passenger's latest Album Delivers Powerful Lyricism", Radio 1 playlist shows 14th Floor as Birdy's record label, "Birdy takes flight: 'It feels like the beginning again, "Hampshire's Birdy talks exclusively to the Daily Echo ahead of Southampton date", "Review: Open Mic UK national grand final, Guildhall, Portsmouth", "News | Birdy set to fly high, and take on the UK top 40, after winning singing competition in 2008! My mum would keep teaching me classically and telling me off when she heard me playing my own songs badly. [19], Birdy's eponymous debut album of cover versions (plus one original song written by her) was released on 7 November 2011; the album peaked at No. So what has Bird been up to? I feel a bit more confident on stage now, which I didn't before - it's quite a scary thing; I think the hardest part is having to talk in between songs, I never know what to say. But yeah, it's always fun to play live. "[40], On 1 April 2016, Birdy performed a cover of 'Adventure of a Lifetime' originally by Coldplay for 3FM. The albums consisted entirely of instrumental works featuring her on the piano, and were called "Ornithology," "Vogelfrei" and "Nightbird." [44] She was also the face of the REDValentino spring/summer campaign for 2016 and 2017. On 19 July 2011, she performed in BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge. Not only is Snowbird Brown busy supporting her large fam, but she's also preoccupied with being a godmother to Noah Brown's son, Elijah, who was born in February 2019. [28] Also in December 2013, she performed "L'Idole Des Jeunes" with Johnny Hallyday on Le Grand Show. [9], Birdy's second given name, Lucilla, was the name of her father's stepmother. [22] The album was released in the UK and other surrounding countries on 23 September 2013 and received mostly positive reviews.