Was Greta Van Susteren a defense attorney in the OJ Simpson case? Please see our. God's law required a male baby be circumcised on the eighth day (Leviticus 12:1 - 3). Although this name was used by Jews in the Middle Ages, it was not typical as an English Christian name until after the Protestant Reformation, being common among the Puritans. Guess what! (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({}); Patriotic , High ability of Persuasion , Excited , Somber. Would you like to add Celebrities. Leah became Jacob's first wife by trickery, as Jacob had intended to marry her younger and more beautiful sister, Rachel, who soon became his second and favoured wife. While Rachel’s womb stayed closed, Leah cranked out boys for Jacob. Rachel (ewe, or sheep), the younger of the daughters of Laban, the wife of Jacob (B.C. "Entry for 'LEAH'". A user from Norway says the name Leah is of Norwegian origin and means "Free spirit and friendly". This is commonly referred to as Jacob's ladder (Genesis 28:10 - 12, 16 - 22). Scripture shows that Rachel didn’t take this very well. Send us will publish it for you. The woman no man wanted. The story of Jacob and Rachel has always had a peculiar interest. Leia (Biblical Greek), Lia (Biblical Latin), Lea (Croatian), Lea (Danish), Lea (Dutch), Lea (Finnish), Léa (French), Lía (Galician), Lia (Georgian), Lea (German), Lia (Italian), Lėja (Lithuanian), Lea (Norwegian), Lia (Portuguese), Lea (Slovene), Lea (Swedish), Your email address will not be published. As she names her first son Rueben she says, “Now my husband will love me.” With her second son, Simeon, Leah laments that though he hates her, at least maybe her husband will now listen to her. Is there LEAH name in the Bible/Torah/Quran? She was "tender-eyed" (17). Your email address will not be published. Your privacy is important to us. God made Rachel and Leah in the Bible look different on purpose. Rachel was beautiful. Send us will publish it for you. You have an executive ability, you are a leader. He ruled, however, only the tribe of Judah (from Hebron) for the first seven and one-half years of his monarchy (2Samuel 2:4, 5:1 - 5, 1Chronicles 3:4, 29:27). Through her blog and podcast, Heather Creekmore writes and speaks hope to thousands of women each week, inspiring them to stop comparing and find their true purpose in Christ. What is the Numerology? Alternatively it might derive from a Chaldean name meaning “mistress” or “ruler” in Akkadian. You are wise and practical with an appreciation of beauty. Josephus (Ant., I, xix, 7) says of her, ten opsin ouk euprepe, which may safely be rendered, "she was of no comely countenance.". When Jacob decided to return to the "land of his fathers," both of his wives were ready to accompany him (Genesis 31:4,14). The older was named Leah; the younger, Rachel. I knew right away which character I’d rather be: Rachel of course! American Baby Names Meaning: She is the mother of 1 daughter and 6 sons, some of whose descendants later become the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Salem Media Group. Jacob loved her. 15 Great Women of the Bible Every Christian Woman Should Study, Leah gives us a glimpse of what it looks like to drop out of the comparison game, while Rachel shows us the crazy that comes when we won’t stop comparing, How to Be Content With Your Real Life (Without Quitting Social Media). Leah became Jacob's first wife by trickery, as Jacob had intended to marry her younger and more beautiful sister, Rachel, who soon became his second and favoured wife. Neither did I pause to think of how hurtful it must have been for her to spend that wedding night with Jacob knowing he thought he was making love to Rachel. of Leah’s life reminds us that God has given each of us everything we need, physically, to accomplish his purpose for our lives. All Rights Reserved. We may well imagine her feeling of relief when she saw Esau and his 400 men returning to Seir (Genesis 33:2,16). It derives from the Hebrew word leah meaning "weary" or "tired".. Of course, the bummer is the man he tricked just happened to be Jacob—the same guy who was head over heels for her younger sister. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. (wearied ), the daughter of Laban. She died some time after Jacob reached the south country in which his father Isaac lived. Connect with Heather on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. Alternatively it might derive from a Chaldean name meaning “mistress” or “ruler” in Akkadian. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. It seemed her perfect romance was spoiled by deceit. Last year it ranked 41st in the U.S. Social Security Administration list of most popular baby girl names. One can assume this wasn’t the first time Rachel complained about not having any children. Who is the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time? Required fields are marked *. Many speculate that this meaning has to do with the circumstance of the most commonly know woman named Leah in the Old Testament. We are studying great women of the Bible including. Hello! First wife of Jacob in the Old Testament. It seems that homely Leah was a person of deep-rooted piety and therefore better suited to become instrumental in carrying out the plans of Yahweh than her handsome, but worldly-minded, sister Rachel. Heather and her fighter-pilot-turned-pastor husband, Eric, live in Texas with their four children. She is considered one of the most important biblical matriarchs. about 1720.). A guest post by Heather Creekmore of comparedtowho.me.