What does kindness mean? A surprisingly practical book with lots of good (and simple) suggestions for showing kindness. I feel this is one good animated way of bringing students and communities together. Simple enough for toddlers this book explains all sorts of ways we can be kind to one other like picking up trash. If you've been following along for any amount of time, then you know how much we absolutely love the book Be Kind by Pat Zietlow Miller, because it actually gives children examples of how they can be kind to others... As adults, we so often expect children to understand how to “be kind,” when the reality is that they often need explicit teaching and examples before they can truly understand. My three kids like the book, and it has helped us talk about how to treat other people, animals, and the earth with kindness. In the picture book What Does it Mean to Be Kind?, author Rana DiOrio has a number of answers to that titular question, all based on the idea of the golden rule. What Does It Mean to be Kind? There's no real subtlety in this story and it kind of hits you over the head with how didactic it is. In bed reading--on vacation...Theodore and me. Very colorful, with an important message. I would categorize this book as contemporary realistic fiction. Finalist, Picture Books, Early Reader (Children's). The illustrations are also important because those same children who did something unkind on one page are shown forgiveness and kindness from others and learn how to be kind. Some vocabulary words like "harmonious" and "fortunate" may need to be decoded and explained to students, however, the rest of the story would be age appropriate for primary. My mother always taught us to live kindly and graciously and this book depicts that so I loved it and was really able to connect with it. Unfortunately, the way it does so created more confusion for this reader... Beautiful story book with wonderful illustrations. The author, Rana DiOro, gives a lot of specific examples about what we can do to show our kindness to each other. Hardcover $17.95 (32pp)978-1-939775-09-2. The book’s theme is to tell children how to be kind to others, their environment, and how to forgive others by showing them kindness. Fun kid's book that helps conceptualize kindness for younger children. A simple, straightforward reminder of what it means to be kind to one another? Very nice book. This book is all about examples of what it means to be kind. Children learn to be kind from our example. The word meek can often come with negative connotations. 4) (page 24) How would the world be if all of us were kinder to each other? The book’s theme is to tell children how to be kind to others, their environment, and how to forgive others by showing them kindness. To have kindness as a default means you can listen better, love more clearly and build something that wasn’t there before. (Illustrator) Refresh and try again. The illustrations are important in this book because one child will do something unkind in the photo and words help show how they could be kind in that situation. August 25th 2015 August 4, 2015. Being kind means having empathy and/or sympathy. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be kind towards yourself – you can do this by nurturing your body with enough water, eating nutritious food, take some time out to do the things you enjoy. The book shows many ways people can express kindness, and finally defines that “being kind means having the courage to treat others the way you like to be treated”. What is kind and what it is not...both important concepts for not only young readers, but for all of us. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. 2) Have you ever done any of the kind acts presented in the book (pages 6-20)? is such a great book! Being kind means that you should not have to put your other commitments to the side just because this person asked you for a last minute favor and expects you to do it because you're a "naturally nice" person. The author, Rana DiOro, gives a lot of specific examples about what we can do to show our kindness to each other. It can start a discussion on being kind and what we can do to be kind. What Does It Mean To Be Kind? Can you name a few examples? ⓒ 2020 Foreword Magazine, Inc.All rights reserved. Jeff Fleischer Questions: 1) What does being kind mean to you? I would recommend this for the primary grades, second through third grade. It is short, about 25 pages, but there is a lot of illustration on each page. Her kindness spreads, an act of kindness after an act of kindness, until her whole community experiences the magical change that happens when everyone understands and act on, what means to be kind. The book’s theme is to tell children how to be kind to others, their environment, and how to forgive others by showing them kindness. What Does It Mean to be Kind is about the value and impact that our actions can have when we are kind with one another. All rights reserved. The examples include both kindness in deed and kindness in word, with saying “please” and sharing among the ways kindness is shown, and the pictures feature friendly children doing so. (Click to listen to an audio recording of this article: What is the true meaning of being meek?) This will subscribe you to all of our newsletters, announcements, and promotional content. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Have you ever wondered what does it mean to be kind? 2) Have you ever done any of the kind acts presented I would give this 5 stars if it weren't for the beginning and ending. You can read more here on self-compassion. What is the true meaning of being meek? The author gives a lot of different examples of how to display both. What does it mean to be kind? It gives examples that children can understand that they need to implement in their daily lives, but it still can be geared towards adults who lack kindness in their heart. It’s encouraging to see a children’s book focused so specifically on the value of kindness, and one that gives so many definitions of what that term can mean. A great book for kids in grades K-2. We’d love your help. Colorful illustrations by Stéphane Jorisch show a variety of DiOrio’s suggestions in action, helping the book come together as a straightforward, gentle lesson for children about the value of kindness. Colorful illustrations by Stéphane Jorisch show a variety of DiOrio’s suggestions in action, helping the book come together as a straightforward, gentle lesson for children about the value of kindness. A great teaching book with many lessons. The story is about ways to be kind and what it means to not be kind. This book simply teaches how to be kind. Some vocabulary words like "harmonious" and "fortunate" may need to be decoded and explained to students, however, the rest of the story would be age appropriate for primary students. A cute cat and dog are included in the images as well, often adding some visual humor (for example, in a whimsical art exhibit with works involving the cat, or with both pets hiding from rain under plant leaves). See 1 question about What Does It Mean To Be Kind?…, YA Debut Sets 'Romeo and Juliet' in 1920s Gangster Shanghai. I love the message it has in it and the examples it uses on how one can be kind, especially in children friendly ways! Even to bullies. Rana DiOrio Can you imagine it? I really appreciated the diversity in the illustrations and examples that were given. It would be a great thing to use in the classroom to provide examples of kindness for children, but also reminds them to be kind to those who aren’t always kind and forgive those people too. I like the message that small acts make a difference, even when sometimes it feels like they don't. Chloe Gong has a lot going on. is such a great book! So what does it actually mean to be meek? This is a great book for the ECE classroom because lessons can be made out of EVERY way it is stated to be kind. This book is all about examples of what it means to be kind. It’s also pleasant to experience the kind treatment of animals as part of what it means to be kind. Foreword Magazine, Inc. is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. This book is super sweet. Jesus said, “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” Matthew 5:5. is another example of a great book that defines "be kind" for children. For kids and parents alike. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. It’s considerate, gracious, and forgiving. Big, colorful watercolor illustrations take up the pages. Taking too long? Lovely child-friendly book about what it means to be kind. I thought the beginning and the end were a little strange and not easy for read aloud groups. This is a really nice story a counselor would enjoy using this one with a class to discuss the idea of kindness. What Does It Mean to be Kind? DiOro talks about the importance of kindness using bright and delightful pictures and specific suggestions on what it means to be kind and puts them together to show children that kindness is one of the most important qualities there is. This book is all about examples of what it means to be kind. by Rana DiOrio. Try again or cancel this request. series, DiOrio shows that every act of kindness is also an act of courage, and how small gestures can make a big difference to other people, animals, the planet, and even oneself. For more control over what you subscribe to, head on over to our subscription page. KIND WORLD EXPLORERS are trademarks of Camp Kindness Counts. Disclosure: This article is not an endorsement, but a review. A girl is kind to a new student in her class. I really appreciated the diversity in the illustrations and examples that were given. This is a charming book with a welcome perspective. In the newest addition to Rana DiOrio's "What Does It Mean To Be...?" Is this book appropriate for a 5 year old who knows how to read? To see what your friends thought of this book. Overall a super cute and sweet book. After reading the picture book titled "What Does It Mean To Be Kind". It said, “I notice how valuable it is to do one thing: be kind, it doesn’t cost anything.” I thought the statement to be noble and I see it’s the intention, yet it also puzzles me.