And the fifth and sixth sentences are examples of unreal statements. Were: What’s the Difference? So what are the rules for using "were" and "was" in this type of situation?

If I Were." If you found this English Grammar Game about Was vs Were fun or useful, let others know about it: Grammar Notes. 30,477 Views Ramya Shankar — Grammar Tips. The words if and wish usually indicate the subjunctive mood. In general, use If I were + noun + wouldSome confusing sentencesIf I was present, I would have taken care of the situation. The forms that was and were will take in your sentence are summarized in the chart below, Singular = I was, You were, He was, She was, It was. If you would like some help then read our Grammar Notes about To Be in the Past Tense. I use the subjunctive "were" in a phrase that describes a situation that I know or presume to be contrary to fact. A wish is the desire or hope for something that cannot or probably will not happen.Always remember this rule about the usage of was and were: use were with expressions that are hypothetical, wishful, imagined, desired, doubtful, and otherwise contrary to fact—that is to say, not real. Try our interactive games to practice To Be in the past tense: Was and Were (simple affirmative sentences), Was and Were in Short Answers. There is a difference between were and was, and when you’re writing, or trying to master the English language, it is imperative that you understand how to correctly use each word. In the past tense we use there was for a singular object and there were for plural objects . There are many different topics and levels. Web. If I Were Many times we encounter situations where we fall short of correct words. These words are used differently in sentences, so it’s important to know when to use were vs. was. Good that she left the party, if she ____ not well. There was and There Were Examples. Cite We have a new chart for you: Was and Were – To Be in the past tense. That’s when it struck me – If I had been a boy, I would have happily roamed outside all night too!”Hope this article helped you understand the difference between if I was and if I were clearly. When are you going to tell me who was asking for my number? If John were a rich man, he could drive a fancy car. There are many different topics and levels. Were is used in the second person singular and plural (you, your, yours) and first and third person plural (we, they). Cayce Berryman All Rights Reserved. This will have everything to do with the passive singular and the passive plural use of the words. Take a tour now! A variety of English grammar notes and rules including charts and examples for beginner to advanced level students. It’s now more important than ever to develop a powerful writing style. Managed WordPress Hosting by AmpWP. Another good example of the subjunctive mood can be found in the musical Fiddler on the Roof. Was is used in the first person singular (I) and the third person singular (he, she, it). All of the above sentences use the verb were because they aren’t true; they do not describe reality. I was, you were, he/she/it was, we were, you were, they were. Since were is used for statements that do not describe reality, was is just the opposite. "If I Was vs.

Was/were worksheets English Lessons for Kids - Videos, Printables, Games, Online Tests Teach kids with an engaging blended English program. Hence, we should use ‘were’ and not ‘was’.If I were present, I would have taken care of the situation – X (wrong)Again, with ‘were’, you should use would take care of and not participle form (have taken). I see a lot of Americans using was for everything.

(The subject is dog, a singular noun.) Improve your English with our interactive English grammar games. Was is used in the first and third person singular past. Once the subject has been identified, use was if the subject is singular and were if the subject is plural. That’s because it has an ‘if’ clause. It is used in the subjunctive mood to indicate unreal or hypothetical statements. Were is used in the second person singular and plural (you, your, yours) and first and third person plural (we, they). You need to choose the correct alternative of WAS or WERE to complete the sentence. Was / Were Games. Home » Was vs. But they keep saying: I was, you was, he was she was it was, we was, you was, they was. Peek vs. Pique: What’s the Difference? Note to the author: You will need to fix your first example. Passive plural use expresses terms for multiple subjects. I wish I could correct them. 2. Was is used as the first person singular and 3rd-person singular number past form of the past tense. – X (wrong)The situation was not taken care of, so clearly the statement is not true. Check your text and writing for style, spelling and grammar problems everywhere on the web! “I was not able to complete the assignment because I couldn’t understand it.”, Every now and then you will run into a sentence that seems to have mixed up the terms. • Categorized under Grammar,Language | Difference Between Were and Was. Were is past tense referring to multiple parties or entities. and updated on June 8, 2016, Difference Between Similar Terms and Objects, Difference Between Transitive and Intransitive Verbs, Difference Between Have Been and Has Been, Differences Between Intelligence and Wisdom, Difference Between Free Speech and Call to Action, Difference Between Conformity and Nonconformity, Difference Between Quarantine and Self Isolation, Difference Between Unimodal and Bimodal Distribution, Difference Between Vitamin D and Vitamin D3, Difference Between LCD and LED Televisions, Difference Between Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates, Difference Between Civil War and Revolution. https://www.grammar.com/if_i_was_vs._if_i_were.

Try these exercises to figure it out –. If it were, there wouldn’t be a need to explain the 20 most confusing grammar rules. You often use this form when you are being wishful. The common rule that determines how you use “was” and “were” is that singular and plural rule. There were is used when you refer to more than one thing or person. A multi-level English curriculum featuring cartoon animated videos, engaging games, interactive tests and a progress tracker. Last night, I was watching TV until midnight. As a refresher, an unreal conditional sentence expresses events that are hypothetical or improbable.
In this Grammar.com article, let us explore this concept with examples. When I was younger, I wanted to be a singer. Here are a couple examples: I was going to tell you, but I couldn’t. As a general rule, use participle with participle.If I were a boy, I would happily roam outside all night.If I had been a boy, I would have happily roamed outside all night.There are two differences in the above sentences –, “I saw all the boys chatting and enjoying themselves, starting at the moon from the stable. We say things like: “If I were the Olympic champion, I would give my endorsement money to charity.” You can also apply this rule to a third person subject: “If she were ever on time, we would all have to check our watches for accuracy.”. The basic difference is rather obvious when used in context. For example –. While some people get mixed up on what we’ve covered above, most of the confusion with these two words centers on the use of the subjunctive mood and specifically the two phrases if I was vs. if I were. 6. A sure sign that you should use the subjunctive is when the word wish is used. Were can be used as the past subjunctive for the present tense equivalent of ‘to be’. If I was is used to express something that was true when or if something else happened: If I was late for class, I got into trouble. There is a difference between were and was, and when you’re writing, or trying to master the English language, it is imperative that you understand how to correctly use each word. Was vs WereAs simple as that, in past tense, was is used for singular noun/pronoun and were for plural. 4. This grammar game is to help you learn the difference between WAS and WERE in English. Thank you so much for this examples. – X (wrong)If I Was vs. If I were is used to express an imaginary situation in the present.

Each sentence above is true or real and the then clause has the result of the if clause. You hear people say both each and every day, so it’s hard to know which is correct. As I said above, was and were are in the past tense, but they are used differently.

You can see more example sentences using Was and Were here: To Be in Past Tense. If I were a better cook, I could entertain more. … It is made up of the phrases I were, he were, she were, it were, etc. I would give the test again if I were the teacher.

Noa A. For example. Same way, he probably is a ‘pain in the ass’ and hence we wouldn’t take him along.

Indeed... this is fixed now -- thanks for letting us know! We can also use the word ‘were’ as the past subjunctive for the present ‘to be’. Grammar Games. If I were a rich man, I’d have the time that I lack. In the third and fourth sentences, I am talking about situations that would happen if I were taller and if John were rich, speaking hypothetically.

“They were late for the party because the car had a flat tire.”, Alternatively, we use the word ‘was’ when we are referring to a single party or entity. You are imagining a situation, that isn’t true yet or cannot be true. After reading this post, you shouldn’t have any trouble correctly choosing between was or were in your future writing. Excellent article!!!
John spends money as if he were a millionaire. . Wellbeing or Well-Being – Which is Correct? The answer, however, has to do with the subjunctive mood. Peak vs. Patience vs. Patients: What’s the Difference?

In the song, “If I were a rich man,” the character Tevye sings about how different his life would be and all the things he would do if he were rich.

The forms that was and were will take in your sentence are summarized in the chart below, If the situation has happened, the result will follow. Thanks for the short, to the point reminder. "If Eisenhower were president, we would not be in Iraq." Notify me of followup comments via e-mail, Written by : Noa A. (But Eisenhower is not president now.) For example: There was a dog in the road. High Quality ESL Lesson Plans - Free Samples - $26 Membership Be a better teacher! If I WereThe correct sentence should be – if I had been there – because this is a hypothetical situation.If I was present, I would take care of the situation. The verb be is a tricky one because it is an irregular verb and one that we find ourselves using with great frequency, so it is that much more important that we choose the correct verb for our sentences. Were is used in the second person singular and plural and first and third person plural. If I were a wealthy man, I wouldn’t have to work hard. After all, most communication takes place in reports, emails, and instant messages. I had to do extra homework, If I was absent.

These words are often confused and not remembered how to explain the correctness. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Two good clues for the subjunctive mood are the words if and wish. DifferenceBetween.net. Grammatically incorrect. For example, we know where to use was and were in general, but if we are to use them with specific phrases, it might get confusing.

Was is used in the first person singular (I) and the third person singular (he, she, it). It’s easy to confuse the two phrases. We also have this chart about using Was and Were in short answers. Learn Grammar. It should read, “I apologize if I wasn’t clear.” (Not “weren’t”).