Textual description of named geographic region near to the event. x238 Headquarters/Visitor Center phone contact Information. Was it difficult to stand and/or walk? If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The Outer Brass Formation was the next stage in the island’s development. Even though the change is slow, it still is creating a transform fault boundary, which is a hot spot for seismic activity and earthquakes. Great World Earthquakes Magnitude 8 or more, Moderate World Earthquakes Magnitude 5–5.9, Minor earthquake, 3.48 mag strikes near Saint Croix in U.S. Virgin Islands. UTC/GMT. According to the Information and Education Manager with the Department of Disaster Management Chrystall Kanyuck-Abel, the organisation is keeping a close eye on all earthquake-related activity. The Caribbean Plate is rubbing up against and sliding under the North American Plate at a slow rate of less than one inch a year. St. John is actually located on a part of the Caribbean Plate called a microplate and shares this space with Puerto Rico, Haiti, Cuba, the Dominican Republic and St. Thomas. I slowly swam over to get a better look, and when it ignored me, I eased a bit closer. Good day to all in the Virgin Islands. #visource #usvi #nature ... See MoreSee Less, Watch Out for Ospreys Arriving in the Virgin Islands | St. John Source, Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linked InShare by Email, I may have seen one today. Read more about the earthquake, Seismometer information, Distances, Parameters, Date-Time, Location and details about this quake, that has occurred near: 54 km ENE of Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Identifies the network considered to be the preferred source of information for this event. Someone mentioned tsunami concerns so I was a little unsettled.. “The number of earthquakes in September and October from the islands is slightly larger than in earlier months, but as long as we are dealing with very small numbers and low magnitude earthquakes, it will be difficult to attribute any larger significance to this activity,” said Dr. Uri ten Brink, a research geophysicist working at the USGS Woods Hole. Read more about the earthquake, Location, Distances, Seismometer information, Date-Time, Parameters and details about this quake, reported near: 64 km ESE of Cruz Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands. The latest earthquake comes just over a week before VITEMA asks the community to participate in “International ShakeOut Day,” the world’s largest earthquake drill happening on Oct. 15 at 10:15 a.m. To learn more about tsunami and earthquake preparedness, visit www.vitema.vi.gov and www.shakeout.org/usvi. ... Toward an integrated understanding of Holocene fault activity in western Puerto Rico: Constraints from high-resolution seismic … Green, Yellow, Orange or Red. The earthquake occurred 67 kilometers southeast of Cruz Bay, St. John at a depth of 6 miles. The alert level from the PAGER earthquake impact scale. Leave a comment! Thanks in advance for your support! A comma-separated list of event ids that are associated to an event. Larger numbers indicate a more significant event. The U.S. Geological Survey recorded a 5.3 magnitude earthquake that was felt throughout the territory on Wednesday at 2:42 p.m. Ids that are associated to the earthquake: pr2020309004. This data comes from the USGS Earthquake Notification Service. Earthquake breaking news, Minor World Earthquakes Magnitude -3.9. Exact location of event, depth 5 km, -64.2515° West, 17.8738° North. “I'd say we continue to monitor the seismic activity in the region very closely. The Caribbean Plate borders the North American Plate, the South American Plate and the Cocos Plate. The ID of a data contributor. A long process of undersea mountain building and uplift brought submarine ridges and peaks to the surface. Following the Outer Brass Formation is the, The last formation to occur on St. John was the. Earthquake news and analysis on current events, Plate Tectonics, Seismometers, quake prediction, environment, Tsunamis, Seismologists, Prediction, live now, videos, information, pictures and much more. Standard Aviation Cuts Ribbon on State-of-the-Art Hangar, Bryan: V.I. Seismic activity and its measurement The Virgin Islands is affected by two distinct areas of seismic activity: the Sombrero Seismic Zone, off to the north of the islands, and the Virgin Islands Basin, between St. Thomas and St. Croix. It was felt throughout the U.S. Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The maximum reported intensity for the event. The notable volcanoes are found on Montserrat, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Saint Vincent. The first stage in St. John’s development is called the, The next stage in St. John’s development is the. But the earthquakes are occurring regularly. NPS Photo/ A. Smith. “I could feel rumbling and heard the bottles on my bar cart clanking,” said Brad Arrington, a resident of St. Thomas. © 2020 Earthquakes today - Current and latest world earthquakes breaking news, activity and articles today. St. John is located on the northern edge of the Caribbean plate. Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall - we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. Horizontal distance from the epicenter to the nearest station (in degrees). Global time and date of event 04/11/20 / 2020-11-04 16:26:16 / November 4, 2020 @ 4:26 pm UTC/GMT. Indicates whether the event has been reviewed by a human. Virgin Islanders are not going to be guinea pigs for a COVID-19 vaccine, the medical director of the V.I.