Violin makers round the edges with a fine round needle file to prevent this. Made in Germany, the Victor-E string has a very warm but vibrant sound and is extremely comfortable under the fingers. Bow hair is too tight or too loose Bridge Location and Position 3 Topics Where Does the Bridge Go? What I did was to keep the fine tuner and switch to an open-loop Jargar E. The guage is a greater on the Jarger, I guess, since it hasn't broken since I put it on 2 months ago. Thomastik-Infeld offers strings with ball ends and loop ends. How to solve problems with your violin or bow.   Your link has been automatically embedded. In the days of gut, you had a knot in the string that caught in the slot in the tailpiece. In my limited experience, you find loop end strings only for the E (on a violin). Loop end strings end with a small loop!! Ball end strings have a small metal ball that fits inside a loop. Thomastik-Infeld offers strings with ball ends and loop ends. By What data is provided in the Thomastik-Infeld string catalog and what does it mean? Music strings of the highest quality – this is both the incentive and obligation of Thomastik-Infeld. The moral is that with the Infelds (and presumably some other type strings) you need a fine tuner that accomodates the ball. The name of the string is a dedication to Ronald Sachs’ late father Victor Sachs who was a violin maker and inspiration to Ronald in the idea to open Ronald Sachs Violins almost two decades ago.-Specially engineered steel string-.27 Gauge-Available in loop end and ball end-Full tone with plenty of power-Durable and long lasting I learned the hard way, by taking out the ball on my Infeld E so that I could put the loop directly over the hook on the fine tuner. The loop ended E will be slightly longer as it attaches closer to the tailpiece than the ball ended E. Depending on the instrument of course, but generally this will result in fractionally higher tension and thus slightly more power, hence the fact that soloists tend to all use loop ended Es - Anne-Sophie Mutter being being the glorious exception to this! Diehlgasse 271050 Vienna, Austria. I hope Richf figured it out... You can post now and register later. It's been 17 years.   Pasted as rich text. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Anyway, after just a couple days the hook sliced throught the loop and the string was kaput. General Care And Maintenance Pegs Keep Slipping ... 1 Topic The “Attic Bow” dilemma How to change a string 1 Topic Loop or Ball End? Ball end strings have a small metal ball that fits inside a loop. You would use these with a fine tuner that has a post over which the loop would fit. The ball fits through the tailpiece, or into a finetuner designed to hold it. If you use a fine adjuster tailpiece then you want a ball end E. If you use a tailpiece with slots and a fine adjuster for the E then you usually need a loop E. Some E string fine adjusters take a ball end. Once again, you don't need to really worry about that, just check the packaging and make sure it includes a ball end E because your E fine tuner is specifically for ball end strings. The fine tuners made for loop end strings have a single small, rounded hook, while the ones used with ball end strings have a slot in the hook to accommodate for the ball end. This shouldn't happen with any E string; what it's telling you is that the prong on your fine tuner has rough spots or sharp edges that need to be filed down. Strings with synthetic cores cannot be provided with removable balls. Each of these balls is connected to the string core using complex knotting technology. Clear editor. Warchal Brilliant Violin Strings : Price: W-100: Warchal Brilliant Set (E string loop or ball end) Upload or insert images from URL. Thomastik-Infeld GmbH More info is available on our page data protection. If you have a ball end E string and need a loop end, you can get the ball … (There was no way to use the ball end with that particular fine tuner.) Alternatively you can get a little plastic bootie that fits over the prong and protects the string; I think Shar sells them. What outer materials are used at Thomastik-Infeld? I learned the hard way, by taking out the ball on my Infeld E so that I could put the loop directly over the hook on the fine tuner. This is probably a basic question, but I don't really know the answer. In my limited experience, you find loop end strings only for the E (on a violin). Ronald Sachs Violins 2020 all rights reserved ©, A member of our team will get in touch with you shortly, -Balances extremely well with most leading brands. I'm attempting to replace my viola strings. I was fine until I got to the A string, which is when I realized that I had bought a ball end string, and my viola's fine A tuner is intended for a loop. Sign up to get notified as soon as we share more insights on stringtelligence! Or doesn't it matter? On May 8, 14 Heisei at 12:20 AM, Richf said. Before you set a loop end Estring on a fine tuner you should have a close look on the hook of the fine tuner. Josie, May 7, 2002 in The Fingerboard. More than 20,000 words and 19 video tutorials in over 90 chapters: This is string know-how at its best! Anyway, after just a couple days the hook sliced throught the loop and the string was kaput. What I did was to keep the fine tuner and switch to an open-loop Jargar E. The guage is a greater on the Jarger, I guess, since it hasn't broken since I put it on 2 months ago. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. What is the difference between loop verses ball ends of strings? Display as a link instead, × However, Thomastik-Infeld has also developed a special solution for some violin E- and A-strings with steel cores and viola A-strings with steel cores, whereby the ball can be pressed out of or back into the loop as required. Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible. Some E strings come with a removable ball to make them loop end. If you have a ball end E string and need a loop end, you can get the ball out with a little struggle. The ball fits through the tailpiece, or into a finetuner designed to hold it. E strings come in loop or ball end but the majority of manufacturers will make the strings so that you can take the ball out and use the string as a loop end. × You did not permit the use of Google reCaptcha. These days strings are ball end instead of knotted except the E which can be ball end or loop end. You simply place the loop over the hook on the fine tuner. This refers to the end of the string that attaches to the tailpiece. This leads to different results in color: Why are different materials used in the string production? Stringtelligence offers you an exclusive insight into the science of strings. × If the edges are sharp they will break the loop open. Replacing Violin Strings (Ball vs. Loop)? The moral is that with the Infelds (and presumably some other type strings) you need a fine tuner that accomodates the ball. Thanks - That helps me understand it a lot more!   You cannot paste images directly. Also a loop is the old, traditional way to fasten violin strings. Depending on the production and requirement, ball ends, crimp ends and tulip ends can be used. Are you curious to learn more about the possibilities a high-performance string offers and do you want to optimize your performance in a few simple steps? Is one type better than the other for a better sound? Based in the heart of Vienna, we have been developing and producing strings with the vastest range of tone colors since 1919, for bowed, plucked and world music instruments. Paste as plain text instead, × To easier differentiate the strings from one another, Thomastik-Infeld uses different materials to coat the ball ends. Is it the set-up of the tailpiece, or can they be used interchangedly? The name of the string is a dedication to Ronald Sachs’ late father Victor Sachs who was a violin maker and inspiration to Ronald in the idea to open Ronald Sachs Violins almost two decades ago. Powered by Invision Community. Strings with steel or synthetic cores require a defined end with a ball or loop so they can be fastened into the tailpiece or onto the fine tuner. Please change your data protection settings. Have you spent years mastering the art of string playing but still know little about the ideal way to handle your tools?