I can't wait to tell you about it... and click the I'm a Blessing Counter Button! R.C.Sproul, Now let Your unfailing love comfort me, just as You promised me, Your servant. I’ve been wanting to try that but can’t figure out how to do it. Most of the conflicts, but not all, are resolved but each is resolved in a different manner. Community, as it is portrayed by Mark, seeks to include not some but all those who suffer. Amazing grace is no longer amazing to us. ” Jesus’ contact with children (9:35-42), with people from Gentile areas (3:7-12; 5:1-20), and his healing of the (gentile) Syrophoenician woman’s daughter (7:24-30) all show that Mark considers community to include both those inside and outside. We know that sometimes it's hard to find inspiration, so we provide you with hundreds of related samples. Mark proclaims that Jesus is the Son of God and the Messiah. He said, “The nation’s leaders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law of Moses will make the Son of Man suffer terribly. This depiction of Jesus as a very human person can give support to persons who suffer, persons who experience deep emotions and feelings, persons who need to express anger, frustration and sadness. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. The second aspect of the gospel in terms of the theme of suffering involves questions about Christ’s identity, about who Jesus really is.The central and guiding question of Mark’s gospel is, “Who do you say that I am? 🙂. Plenty of useful information here. Psalm 119:76, Even if we may not always understand why God allows certain things to happen to us, we can know He is able to bring good out of evil, and triumph out of suffering. And then together coming and standing upon the promises of God, knowing that no matter who you are, no matter what you’re going through, that God knows it, He is with you, He is going to pull you through. Furthermore, on the journey to Jerusalem, Jesus predicts his suffering and murder two more times (Mark 9:30-32; 10:32-34). . Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin. Mark’s gospel is clearly a gospel of the suffering Messiah and of suffering discipleship, concepts that Christians can perhaps relate to.In fact, the theme of Jesus suffering is illustrated not only in the New Testament but so too in the Old Testament particularly in Isaiah 53 and in a Psalm of David, Psalm 22 where the suffering of the future Messiah is foretold: “He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and like one form whom men hide their face, He was despised, and we did esteem Him. Matthew 12:21. They hit his head with a staff and put a crown of thorns on his head. David seems to prophecy the suffering that Jesus endured for the redemption of the world’s sins: My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?.. 1 Peter 4:1. sin. But if we are to share His glory, we must also share His suffering. ~Joni Eareckson Tada,  I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! Peter took Jesus aside and told him to stop talking like that. In addition, the concept of conflict, community and the humanness of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark will provide additional material in illustrating the theme of suffering. They cannot see that suffering is a part of discipleship from which emerges a pathway of suffering. 35 If you want to save your life,[a] you will destroy it. After Peter’s confession that Jesus is the Messiah, Jesus changes his preaching. Again, this is a part of the suffering that Jesus must endure, the betrayal of those that he holds dearest and closest to Him. Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God and afflicted.But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed. By continuing we’ll assume you’re on board with our cookie policy. O my God, I cry by day, but Thou dost not answer; and by night, but I have no rest… But I am a worm, and not a man, a reproach of men, and despised by the people. You will be beaten in the synagogues; you will stand before rulers and kings for my sake to bring them the Good News. Be not far from me, for trouble is near. Another significant focus in Mark’s gospel is conflict. It will be explained first through the emphasis on suffering; second, the question of who Jesus really is and finally, the concept of discipleship. Mark is writing for a suffering community. In the face of suffering he feels compassion, “Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, ‘I am willing; be cleansed'” (1:41); He shows anger and frustration, “But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, ‘Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them'” (10:14), “After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He said to the man, ‘Stretch out your hand. You must take up your cross and follow me. Mark’s Jesus is a suffering Messiah who moves relentlessly, and rapidly to the cross and through his journey to the cross he encounters hurt and suffering not only at the hands of the Pharisees and Romans but also from his disciples who hurt Him in their current actions and further with Jesus’ knowledge of their future actions.In Mark 22:47-48, one of the twelve apostles, Judas Iscariot betrays … Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Bible Verses about Suffering - And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all… Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering… For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not… Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same… But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be… ~ Billy Graham,  Abba, Father,” He cried out, “everything is possible for you. ~ Warren Wiersbe, Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise Him again—my Savior and my God! “, We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. Where I Answer a Reader’s Questions – Why? If the whole world suffers and groans, the Christian does so even more.Ultimately, Christians know that Salvation in Christ and the gift of the Holy Spirit do not keep the Christian from suffering; rather Salvation and the Holy Spirit sustain them through the suffering. And His name will be the hope of all the world. But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. And He was going around the villages teaching” (6:6). For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has ncompassed me; they pierced my hands and my feet. Mark seems to see the disciples not simply as historical figures from the past but as representative of Christians of his own time.The instructions Jesus gives his followers, the difficulty they have in understanding him, and Jesus’ bonds with them despite their failures, are all meant as challenges and consolation to the Christian who reads the gospel. ~ Jesus in Mark 14:36, Sometimes when we get overwhelmed, we forget how big God is. He needed to tell this community that Jesus suffered just as his followers were now being asked to suffer, that Jesus had told his disciples that suffering was a part of following him, and that Jesus had promised rewards to those who faithfully endured suffering.Mark is a gospel written to strengthen and encourage Christians facing martyrdom. 2 Corinthians 1:4, When you and I hurt deeply, what we really need is not an explanation from God but a revelation of God. Mark portrays Jesus as the suffering servant most likely in fulfillment of the servant passages in Isaiah specifically Isaiah 52:13-53:12. You will be arrested and taken to court. For Mark, the most important means of revealing Jesus’ identity seems to be his suffering on the way to the cross. Mark’s Jesus is a suffering Messiah who moves relentlessly, and rapidly to the cross and through his journey to the cross he encounters hurt and suffering not only at the hands of the Pharisees and Romans but also from his disciples who hurt Him in their current actions and further with Jesus’ knowledge of their future actions.In Mark 22:47-48, one of the twelve apostles, Judas Iscariot betrays Jesus. I'm glad you're here. Conflict is often a significant factor in suffering: conflict with family, conflict with society, conflict with emotions and feelings.It is safe to say there is hardly a form of suffering that does not involve conflict. The Suffering Servant. Mark’s own community is experiencing suffering, and Mark wants them to know that suffering is a part of discipleship. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.”. The first aspect of the emphasis on suffering is spread throughout the gospel. The remaining apostles abandoned him, and he was left alone. Get access to this section to get all the help you need with your essay and educational goals. This is the end of Jesus’ suffering on earth. However, Chapter 16:9-20, with its post-resurrection appearances and Jesus’ ascension seems to change in Mark’s style as those verses depict the disciples in a much better light for they are more optimistic in their attitude towards Jesus. And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored” (3:5). The Theme of Suffering in the Gospel of Mark, The dichotomy between the private and the public is central to almost two centuries of feminist writing and political struggle, Role of Airpower in Humanitarian and Counter Terrorist Operations, Relating The Passage To The Gospel Theology Religion, The Purpose of Suffering: a Christian Perspective, An Analysis of the Theme of Suffering in Sonny's Blues, An Historical Reliability Of The Gospel Theology Religion, The Yoido Full Gospel Church Theology Religion, Eschatological Vision For Church In The Eucharist Theology Religion, To what extent would you say Situation Ethics, The Understanding Of Stewardship Theology Religion, Lending: Data Flow Diagram And Loan Transaction Loan Analysis, Free online plagiarism checker with percentage. Psalm 43:5, We are puzzled and bewildered whenever we see suffering in this world because we have become accustomed to the mercy and the long-suffering of God.