The Best Lentil Curry I had in a long time. ; Our creamy coconut red lentil dal is ready in around 35 minutes and super delicious and satisfying. Plus it's made with nourishing plant-based ingredients. Should I crush the seeds or leave them whole? Plus my Vegan Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder adds additional umami without using meat or dairy. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes until the vegetable is softened a little bit. I’m an Indian and I swear by this recipe in college – it’s the perfect fit. ★☆ (as I raise both of my hands). Add in the dried lentils and toss them with the onions and spices. This recipe is slightly different from other recipes as it is the lentil curry without coconut milk. Add the lentils to a saucepan and add 3 cups of water with a pinch of salt. So glad to hear that! Spices – cumin, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, paprika, and black pepper. I’ve been making curries a while now but never got them ‘just right’….until now! Therefore, water and lentils should not fill the pot more than two thirds. (It will take about 8 minutes for the pressure to build, then the timer will begin.) Coconut milk is an add on if you want to make your recipe creamier but still many people don’t like its flavor in curries so this recipe is for those. Do not forget to take a picture and tag us @getsetvegan on Instagram. So you might need to reduce some of the vegetable stock but you’d have to play around with the ratios. *Nutritional information is for the lentil curry only and does not include rice. My son and I (non-vegans) added a dollop of yogurt on top to tame the spices a bit. ), I wanted to take a moment to share this lentil curry coconut recipe. I used light coconut milk and was worried the curry wouldn’t be creamy enough. If you have leftovers, you’ll be happy too because leftovers are divine for lunch the next day. You should use all of the cooked lentils from the first step. 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Reheat on the stovetop, and add some water as lentils tend to get thick. Salad – A refreshing side of salad with cool creamy dressing is always a welcoming combination to any curry dishes in my opinion. Just four simple steps and its ready to serve! This blog is for beautiful people that are interested in adopting a healthy vegan lifestyle by making simple changes. In another frying pan add oil and chopped garlic. Sorry about that Amy. So glad you enjoyed it! The whole family enjoyed it. Choose a large enough pot. (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Please do us a favor and rate the recipe as well as this really helps us! Serve with or without basmati rice, as you like it! Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!). Slow Cooker Red Lentil Curry with Sweet Potatoes, For an Indian recipe without the Instant Pot, try this, If you’re gaga over lentils in the Instant Pot too, don’t miss this, If you want to try lentils in the slow cooker, make sure you try this. Stir in the garam masala, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt. Thanks so much Terry! Add roughly chopped kale (or spinach) during the last 5 minutes. Oh my goodness!! Red and yellow lentils are more delicate and didn’t hold up as well in the Instant Pot, so I wasn’t *as* smitten with their final texture. Now to find recipes for the other six nights of the week! Great recipe, my housemate and I had a great time with it . With this recipe, everything happens right in the pressure cooker, so you only have one dish to wash at the end. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.). A classic coconut curry with lentils, inspired by Indian flavors. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Thanks for stopping by and Welcome to my blog. I even served my curry with cooked quinoa before and it was great! Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 4-5 minutes. ★☆ Who likes Indian food? … Cook for about 20-25 minutes (shorter if using red lentils), stirring occasionally, until completely tender. ★☆ Let simmer gently for 4 to 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Did you know? Lentil Curry without Coconut Milk. you can use vegetable stock too but I wanted to make it with the simplest ingredients possible. It keeps extremely well so you can have leftovers in the fridge for a few days and reheat them as you like. Drain excess water after cooking. Guests who are used to going to Indian restaurants said it was exactly what you would expect, which I felt was a real compliment. Hi MJ, you can use green, orange, or yellow lentils too, or even split peas can be made with this recipe too. Freshly Chopped Garlic: Fresh Garlic is a must, I will tell you how to add them to the main part of the recipe. brown lentils, curry, dal, lentil, tadka, vegan curry. It can then finish cooking when the lentil curry is brought to a boil and simmered. So wait! We would love to see this. Hi Zeva, that might work, I haven’t tried it! Fry up some onions and garlic with some olive oil and spices, then add dried lentils and toss them up with the onions and spices. Hey, would I be able to make this without tomato? * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Reprinted with permission from Choosing Raw. Required fields are marked *. Thanks. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. TO ADD QUICK-COOKING VEGETABLES LIKE SPINACH: After simmering the lentil curry, turn off the heat, stir in the spinach, and cover the pan. We all love a good one pot meal; unfortunately that just doesn’t work well for lentil curry because cooking lentils and tomatoes together in the same pot will produce tough, crunchy lentils that don’t soften in the center. A perfect healthy meal that is vegan and gluten free.This Indian style dal recipe is gluten-free and offers healthy nutrients. OMG. No matter what time it is, you can always have a hot pot of creamy lentil curry. If you follow my recipe exactly, you will end up with a rather thick curry that’s hearty. WELCOME! It can be any type of rice. This creamy lentil curry also manages the tricky feat of being both stick-to-your-ribs warm and comforting (what my body wants) AND feel-great nutritious (what my body needs). Just see if they are soft and tender, it may be that it’s too early in the process. But I have to watch out for food that’s garnished with cilantro (since I cannot stand the taste of cilantro) and hubby steers clear of any curry made with coconut milk. So choose a lower stove setting and keep an eye on the lenses. Bring it to boil and cover the pot. It’s wholesome, super delicious and high in protein and fiber. Loved it, but is there any way to avoid the fat in coconut milk….but still get the flavor and creaminess? Let’s just say if we were to go to one of those Indian lunch buffets, we would get our money’s worth and some more! Updated Aug 16, 2019 / Published: Feb 7, 2019 / This post may contain affiliate links. It’s worth it here. We’ll also send you an awesome free recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes. Here’s what I add to my creamy lentil curry: Red and yellow lentils do not need to be soaked as they are already peeled and would otherwise disintegrate very badly. So glad you enjoy it, thanks for sharing! This will definitely a regular in our house! Your feedback is really appreciated! Thanks for letting me know! This recipe is very budget-friendly and extremely satisfying to eat! This lentil curry is easily made by simmering lentils, tomatoes, spices, and aromatics with coconut milk. An irresistibl Brown lentil curry recipe that is really simple and less time consuming. She does not demand attention. This perceived richness is due in part to the addition of coconut milk but even more so to the way the lentils are cooked. This recipe is easy and delicious. What’s in the gravy portion of the curry – What makes this curry creamy without using coconut milk is cashew and almond milk. so I didn’t add sugar And I doubled the cayenne to add heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and place a lid on top. Thanks for sharing! Hi Tim, it may be that the lentils are not yet cooked properly? However, I’m not sure how well that would work in this recipe, because the dried lentils cook in the vegetable stock and the coconut milk so they absorb some of that while they are cooking. Awesome! My husband and I both love Indian food. November 12, 2020 By Kaitlin McGinn Leave a Comment, Snuggle up with this simple but warmly flavorful Coconut Lentil Soup! I usually switch the spices a bit, like adding hot curry powder and an extra punch of heat with hot chilli powder but the coconut milk balances it out perfectly. Over all everyone in the house enjoyed it. How many cups of cooked lentils should I use with the can of coconut milk? Hit cancel to stop the sauté function, seal the lid, then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. I love that this soup is packed with big flavor thanks to the coconut curry broth, plus fresh garlic & ginger. Lentil Curry is humble. I set a timer and including getting the lentils and rice both started in the cooking process, it took me 15 minutes to prep everything. Hi Norma, red lentils tend to fall apart/get mushy when cooked, whereas the brown ones don’t. Filed Under: Gluten-Free, Main Dish, Recipe, Soup, Vegan, WFPBNO Tagged With: autumn, coconut milk, comfort food, curry powder, garlic, ginger, red lentil, tomato, weeknight, winter, Your email address will not be published. amazingly easy vegan curry! Thank you so much for pointing it out. The finishing touch to this recipe is a squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the lentils have cooked.