As JBJ notes, both versions are grammatical etc. also, I can say that "of which many... storm" is a subgroup modifier which modifies "houses.". Definition of Whom. We use whom to refer to people in formal styles or in writing, when the person is the object of the verb. It is used in the place of an object in a sentence or phrase. How would Earth turn into debris drifting through space without everything at its surface being destroyed? When to use whose: Whose acts as a pronoun. or: The houses on Canal street, of which many had been damaged in the storm, looked abandoned. Read on to explore the depths of “who” or “whom” and look into some easy ways to remember, including tips and tricks to make it all stick. Both who and whom are relative pronouns. Would the Millennium Falcon have been carried along on the hyperspace jump if it stayed attached to the Star Destroyer? You can sometimes use a dash to help readers see that certain words are meant as an introduction or conclusion to your sentence. IMO the first (with “of which many”) is a better-sounding sentence. The verb is will choose. To properly use who and whom you need to find the verb in the sentence then ask, “ who or what is the subject of the verb? In questions. An example of whom is someone asking which person someone is speaking to, "To whom are you speaking?". Any way to watch Netflix on an iPad Air (MD788LL/A)? Whom: Whom is in the objective case and is used as the direct objective of a verb or as the object of a preposition. Can a single card have multiple activations on a stack? Whom should be used to refer to the object of a verb or preposition. used instead of "who" as the object of a verb or preposition. The use of a relative clause turns "many of them" into "many of which" or also "of which many". 90's PC game, similar to "Another World" but in 3D, dark, purple, locked inside a prison. Whom is the police officer chasing down the back alley? Why is there 5GB of unallocated space on my disk on Windows 10 machine? 1955: When Marty couldn't use the time circuits anymore was the car still actually driveable? Make a minimal and maximal 2-digit number from digits of two 3-digit numbers. 2. To determine when to use whom, figure out if the "who" is the noun that receives the action of a verb and is thus the object of the sentence ("Who gave it to you?" The who/whom distinction is covered elsewhere (in the "most of…" context it's whom, but in modern usage who is often used), but this question brings up the legitimate question of distinguishing between when to use who and when to use which.For this, simply consider whether the collection you're describing consists of people or not. All, both, each, many, most, neither, none, part, some... For Example: Adam has two brothers. Is the modifier "of which many... storm" correct or not, and why so? vs "You gave it to whom? How to Use Who and Whom? Understand the difference between who and whom. To whom are you referring? We use WHOM to ask person receives an action. [here, who is the subject of the sentence] Many English speakers do not routinely use whom in their informal communication, and the word can sound overformal to many listeners even where it is logically correct. The question trips up even grammar-lovers. Deciding whether to use who or whom has plagued people for years. It can question to whom something belongs. Who and whom refer only to people, and whose almost always does so: Whom is the objective case of who. I would say it is merely because we are more used to "many of which", it sounds more rounded to us. This is my brother , whom you met at our house last month. To whom should I send the bill for the food? Brad has very nice neighbors. The use of a relative clause turns "many of them" into "many of which" or also "of which many". When in doubt, try this simple trick: If you can replace the word with “he”’ or “’she,” use who. Once you’ve got this down and compared several examples, … Has there been a naval battle where a boarding attempt backfired? Both of them work as an engineer. English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. And in many circles, whom is becoming obsolete, which may sadden grammar purists. Adam has two brothers, both of whom work as an engineer. Although who and whom are similar, each serves a distinct purpose. Why is it wrong to answer a question with a tautology? The houses on Canal street, many of which had been damaged in the storm, looked abandoned. Why did the F of "sneeze" and "snore" change to an S in English history? Examples. How can I seal a gap between floor joist boxes and foundation? or: The houses on Canal street, of which many had been damaged in the storm, looked abandoned. Since "most of _____" is a prepositional phrase, the correct usage would be "most of whom." Brad has very nice neighbors, all of whom I like very much. Although I know that this is correct and more appropriate, I cannot figure out what is wrong with the original sentence. In order to understand how to use these pronouns correctly, you’ll have to refresh yourself on sentence structure. Understanding when and how to use … The houses on Canal street looked abandoned. How can I better handle 'bad-news' talks about familiy members I don't care about. Using Whose in a Sentence. “Of which many” vs “many of which” as parenthetical modifiers, Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX. There’s an ongoing debate in English about when you should use who and when to use whom.According to the rules of formal grammar, who should be used in the subject position in a sentence, while whom should be used in the object position, and also after a preposition.. Here is a sample sentence analyzed with Trick #2: Who/Whom will Lochness choose for the vacancy in his nuclear spy ring? But I doubt whether the modifier is properly used. The phrase "most of who" should probably never be used. delving deep, can you tell me why "many of which" is preferred to "of which many"? The woman whom I saw at the cinema last week is a dentist.