Keep monitoring the temp of the grill, and let it smoke for 2-3 hours, removing it when the temperature of the meat reaches 155-165º. Some organic “ Since we are dry curing, the bacon loses water in the process, which concentrates and intensifies flavors compared to store bacon, which often has brine added to it to make it heavier! Once smoked, remove the bacon, and optionally, remove the skin before letting it cool on a rack. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. , So, do you really need to dry the celery? If it is still fairly floppy and dripping fat, turn off the oven, then return the tray to the cooling oven for 5 minutes. Saltpeter is mostly potassium nitrate, but some of it is transformed during the cure to nitrite, which is the real preservative agent. What the hell is a preservative? The slices shouldn't overlap. Evenly sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the second side of bacon; again, being sure to break up any remaining lumps. If that didn’t scare you off, then you must be my kind of people. At the end of the week, give it a thorough rub down in fresh water, even letting it soak for a few minutes in fresh water, then pat it dry. Sodium nitrite is toxic in high quantities, and has been linked to migraines in some people. Technically, it is cured, and should keep very well, but freezing doesn’t hurt the bacon, and it is better to be safe than sorry. Cook it it a pan, appreciating how readily it browns, and without all the popping, curling, and carrying on that wet-cured factory bacon does. (*both optional, use honey for AIP, and for Whole 30 and Keto diets, these should be omitted), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Detox Your Autoimmune Body Before the Holidays. Immersion curing is very similar to pumping, except bacon … If you follow my recipe, you don’t need to worry about food safety. Do you love Paleo and Whole 30 bacon? Lay the bacon on the rack in a single layer so that there is no space in between each slice. Sprinkle some soaked hickory chips over the coals, and then also put a foil packet of soaked chips (with a few holes poked in the top) on top of the coals. It also means I get to control the ingredients! By Samantha Jo Teague, The Unskilled Cavewoman, The Unskilled Cavewoman https://www.theunskilledcavewoman.com/. I’m getting a lot of push-back in the comments about the safety of this no-nitrates recipe. The risk with this recipe is higher than most, (primarily because of botulism) so keep that in mind, along with the fact that I’m not a professional, and basically don’t know what the hell I’m talking about. So I think I’m gonna make the trip to the butcher, first time ever. Hello Eileen, Store in the fridge for about 6 days, shaking the container / massaging the baggie every day to keep the juices evenly brining the pork. This can be done by dehydration, as in jerky. There. Drizzle over sweetener if using, then massage again until well-incorporated. Bacon is injected with a curing liquid and is rested for 6 to 24 hours before being heated and/or smoked. This recipe first appeared in the Pantry Raid video series. Since we are using salt, sugar, and smoke as actual preservatives, rather than just flavorings, this bacon is much more intensely flavored that modern bacon. This looks fascinating – lapsang souchong tealeaves to make smoked salt, whoever would have thought! My bacon is different than bacon you can buy at the store, and not just because it doesn’t have nitrates. Now, if I only nibbled on a few bacon bits every once in a Sunday, that would be feasible. So, you are just buying freshly sliced pork belly that hasn’t been smoked or frozen, correct? To cook the bacon, slice the bacon very, very thinly, which is necessary because this bacon is saltier and more intense than what you are likely used to. Quite often it’s sold out, too! Natural, uncured bacon is important to use here, not for the ingredient list, but because it is thicker than standard issue bacon, but not as thick as “thick-cut” bacon. I have seen recipes that use just salt, or some with celery juice instead of powder, though they used a whole (uncut) pork belly and different curing methods. But first, some debunking. Meeeeee too! I use a primal diet and lifestyle to manage my autoimmune diseases and chronic illnesses. Please note that I am not a doctor. Back then, it was added in the form of “saltpeter” which is potassium nitrate that has been sweated out by rocks, and crystalized on the surface. Another method is to smoke the meat, which deposits a layer of compounds on the meat which inhibit bacterial growth, and incidentally, taste yummy. (The cost of the item remains the same as a non-affiliate purchase.). Rub the mixture thoroughly all over the belly, working it firmly onto every surface and crevice. Continue to bake for 15 minutes. Nitrates and nitrates basically poison bacteria that would otherwise grow on the meat. Its ok if the seasonings are little bit chunky-looking, they will eventually dissolve during the curing process! I’m amazed at how many bloggers post recipes with bacon, as if it’s so easy to get for a Whole 30. It wouldn’t work just mixing celery, salt and honey to a paste and cover the meat with it? Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set a cooling rack inside the pan. In fact, nitrates have been added to bacon and ham as part of the curing process since at least the 16th century. You may have to adjust the fire, add a few more coals, more chips, another foil packet, etc. We will use salt, sugar, smoke, and time to cure our bacon. Refrigerate, or freeze if you want to keep it for more than a few days. Do you love it’s price? I’ve gotta have some in the fridge or the freezer, raw or cooked, at all times else I panic and feel sort of sad that I’m living in a baconless home. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. YMMV. Side note: "Uncured" bacon doesn't actually mean that the bacon hasn't been cured. Let’s not kill anyone, shall we? It will release a lot of juice, which is good, this type of curing depends on reducing the moisture of the meat. https://www.theunskilledcavewoman.com/homemade-uncured-bacon-7 Another, very important method is to reduce the moisture in the meat, since bacteria need moisture to grow. (BTW, that “uncured” bacon you’ve been buying at the grocery store? And I need a bacon safety cushion ALL DAY EVERY DAY. Transfer to a resealable 2-gallon plastic bag. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and let the bacon rest for 1 minute. Heat oven to 375°F with a rack in the middle of the oven. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website.