Let’s start today with a sweet bread called Babka. e9 = new Object(); It has a spongy texture and reminds me a lot of the honey sponge cake. Babka is always sliced in rounds across the loaf. In a small bowl, combine and stir 2 tsps baking soda and 2 tbsps white distilled vinegar – it will fizz up. Dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water, sprinkle the yeast over it, and let stand until softened. This is such delicious and easy to make cake. Mashed pumpkin imparts a mellow, yellow color to babka and keeps it fresh and soft for days. Punch down, knead a few times, and let it rise again. YUM! I remember I used to bake this babka quite often for my brothers when I was a teenager. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with Wilton tip #199 attached. In a small bowl, combine and stir 2 tsps baking soda and 2 tbsps white distilled vinegar – it will fizz up. Line a large baking sheet (11×17) with a parchment paper and set aside (Make sure the baking sheet has an edge of approximately 1” to prevent the batter from running out). FOR THE SPONGE: Combine dissolved yeast with the lukewarm milk and 1 cup of flour. To support the blog, check out the HBHW eBooks available on Amazon. The perfect square size is kid friendly and can also be served as a hand held dessert. I make it at least once a month because I have 4 kids and this is the first honey dessert they fell in love with. My husband loved it so much, he asked me to make it again and again. Browse or search our collection of more than 1,000 Ukrainian recipes and over 6,000 international recipes from around the world, from holiday to everyday recipes. If you are subscribing to my weekly newsletter, you know that my friend Christine is hosting a boy from the Ukraine this summer. Babka is always sliced in rounds across the loaf. Olga this cake is WOW! Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with Wilton tip #199 attached. More. Bake in a moderately hot oven (400 degrees F) for about 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F. ,and continue baking for 40 minutes longer, or until done. 400 pages, 200 recipes, natural home remedies chapter! Add the yeast mixture and stir again. . Enjoy right away or refrigerate and keep enjoying for next 3-4 days!! The batter will be runny and lose the fluffiness a bit, but make sure to not over-beat it otherwise the cake texture will turn out hard and won't be as fluffy. I made this for our church gathering and it was a huge hit. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This babka cake is so easy to make and the results are satisfying. Turn the heat down to 350 F and bake for another 35 to 46 minutes. Pipe the frosting onto each square. Stir until well combined. Line a large baking sheet (11×17) with a parchment paper and set aside (make sure the baking sheet has an edge of approximately 1” to prevent the batter from running out). Thank you for another excellent recipe!!!! It’s sooo easy and works great for regular dessert or even for special occasions. Would you like to receive a copy in your email inbox? Punch down dough and knead for a couple of turns then let it rise again for about 30 more minutes. e9.size = "728x90,468x60"; Everything was perfect about this recipe. BABKA WITH PUMPKIN: This is a very old recipe, but it is worth preserving. (Do not leave the cake upside down on a cooling rack for long, or it will leave cooling rack squares on top of the cake and might break/mush the top of it). Honey Cake Roll with Condensed Milk Frosting, Marinated Baked Chicken Tenderloins (VIDEO), Ammonia White Cake with Sour Cream Frosting. Remove the parchment paper from bottom of the cake. If desired, the cooled loaves may be iced or glazed and decorated with bakers' confetti. Enjoy right away or refrigerate and keep enjoying for next 3-4 days!! In a large bowl, beat 8 eggs, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp salt until light and fluffy (8-10 mins on high). Place a cooling rack over the baked cake and flip over the baking sheet. Careless handling of the baked babka may cause it to fall or settle. Grease 4 smaller coffee cans with butter. Don’t skip this and don’t cut the time short… give it your all for those 10 minutes. Wash cherries and mash them. Then, add the baking soda/vinegar mixture, honey and 16 oz sour cream to the batter. Beat on low for 30-40 seconds just until combined (do not over-beat it). After … Place a large cutting board onto a cake and flip over again; let the babka cool. The BEST BEST honey dessert I have ever eaten!!! Microwave 1 cup honey for about 30 seconds. I wasn’t surprised. Remove the parchment paper from bottom of the cake. (Do not leave the cake upside down on a cooling rack for long, or it will leave cooling rack squares on top of the cake and might break/mush the top of it). It’ll be well worth it in the end. Let it rise in a warm place until it’s twice as big. fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); if (d.getElementById(id)) return; Slice it and serve with butter and jam. Mashed pumpkin imparts a mellow, yellow color to babka … I thought it would be fun to give a few Ukrainian recipes a try. 1/4 of your dough should do the trick. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Babka is a Polish and Ukrainian Jewish recipe that is a cross between cake and bread. In a large bowl, beat 8 eggs, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp salt until light and fluffy (8-10 mins on high). Preheat the oven to a 350°F. I use a fork to whisk it all together. Total Carbohydrate Pour flour into the mass slowly. Love the texture, the flavor and the frosting. This dough should be slightly thicker than for the usual babka mixture. Time will depend on how warm it is and even humidity. Yum! Add the sugar and salt and beat with a hand mixer until they are fluffy and a light yellow color. Let rise for about 45 minutes or until well risen. js.src = "//forms.aweber.com/form/58/711521558.js"; Cover and let rise in a warm place until the dough reaches the brim of the pan. Babka Recipe – Ukrainian Sweet Bread. Brush the loaves with a beaten egg diluted with 2 Tablespoons of milk or water. This post may contain affiliate links. Oh, and food.Lots of food. Once all the flour has been added knead the dough for 10 minutes. Cover the cans and let them sit in a warm place until the dough has risen all the way up to the rim. Hot coffee and delicious desserts create memorable family moments. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The easiest and the best honey dessert you’ll ever taste! Bake for 30-32 mins, until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once cooled, cut off edges with a sharp knife, and cut whole babka into an even squares, to about 1.5-2”, or your desired size. Start by getting the yeast started. 2 teaspoons sugar; 1/2 cup warm water I was especially surprised when I saw how much my kiddos love it. Place a cooling rack over the baked cake and flip over the baking sheet. I’m so happy to hear it’s a staple at your home. Gradually add the flour, stirring with a large spoon at first, then using your hands as the mixture becomes harder to move around. It is definitely kid-friendly dessert!! I thought it would be fun to give a few Ukrainian recipes a try. Take everything out and let the finished bread cool in the coffee cans. Add enough dough to each to to fill them about 1/3 of the way. Preheat your oven to 400 F. Place the coffee cans on a cookie sheet and bake the babka for 15 minutes. A successful babka--rich, tender, fine textured, spongy, and very light--is a great triumph of a Ukrainian homemaker. Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup of cooked, mashed pumpkin, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 cup of orange juice and about 4 eggs. The sweet and honey aroma around the house during the baking process  just puts me through the roof. Bake for 30-32 mins, until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. 4. Set it aside in a sunny, warm spot for about 30 minutes or until it starts to bubble up. As the loaves are cooling, change their position very gently a few times to prevent settling. I didn’t top with any frosting back then and it was still super delicious without it. Get recipe updates, tips, menu ideas and more straight to your inbox. Preheat the oven to a 350°F. BABKA WITH PUMPKIN: This is a very old recipe, but it is worth preserving. Mix the sugar, water, yeast,  milk and the cup of all purpose flour together in a small bowl. var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; Read my disclosure policy. Kids chose these bars over cupcakes. ; place the desired amount of dough in pans. Thank you Olga! 160 %. Add the melted butter (I melt mine in the microwave) and the lemon zest. Stir in the flour and KNEAD IN THE BOWL for about 10 minutes. Ukrainian Old-fashioned Honey Babka: sweet, fluffy, moist; topped with a creamy frosting for that extra incredible taste. Tag @olgainthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #olgainthekitchen - I'd love to see your creations! The sliced bottom crust serves as a protective cover, and it is put back to prevent the loaf from drying. Pipe the frosting onto each square. Follow the preceding recipe for Country Babka. In a medium bowl, combine and beat 8 oz cream cheese and 1/2 cup powdered sugar for about 1 min on low-medium speed. Baba's Kitchen: Ukrainian Soul Food is a rollicking journey through the 44,000 year old history of Ukraine's Indigenous people, alternately as deep and dark, playful and humorous as the Slavic soul.