In back of that block, however, was a city park of about 15 acres, where my friends and I spent most of our time, starting at about age six or seven. Assessing resources is actually part of the planning process. Seeking supports for evaluation? Assessing resources has to take into account sustainability as well as building or renovation costs. sampling of facilities be representative by facility type, military department, and facility age, and that the evaluation be completed within 300 days. It isn’t hard to make contact with most of these people if you’re a registered voter in their district, or if you represent others who are. NYC in 2016: High Line is a NY Magazine article on the High Line park development, and how it could revitalize neighborhoods along it. Even if that’s the case, you still need to decide what the alternatives are. They may also be able to provide or help bring in funds for professional designers and planners who can translate the group’s plans into physical reality. Nurturing Healthy Neighborhoods: Communities Affect Health is a resource from the National Institutes of Health about how the environment around us influences our health. So is calculated risk taking. Municipal or other officials also represent an important element in the planning group. Taken together, the actions will lead to community improvement for the benefit of all. Their support can help obtain public funding and support. For others, existing facilities may be old, and speak only to the needs of a community that has long since changed. That means getting to know your city councilors, the mayor or town manager, your state representative and state senator, perhaps even your Congressman, and/or their aides. Another appeal you might make early on, if you don’t have access to the expertise or time needed for the task – is for someone to write grant proposals and/or fundraising materials. The three-meter-high rocks became thousand-foot cliffs that we scaled in order to storm the forts on top, or to plant our mountaineers' flags. � q7��z�i���i+��d��[�����uy��s�ҭ7��kܵznY����ӓ�Vo;��r��sylg$D*�j5�4����Vm��t����qZG�͂�J`��w��L� �����f�U� MJ���LJ�`��9.������[i% ��]�A��%(Ȁ؉�%�c)�]�s*L��s73\`��ϔ�8��6�?�.��]�Y. 0000004575 00000 n When the cost of using such an asset makes it unavailable to a large portion of the population, is it still a community facility? 0000009537 00000 n – and as information sources and guides. You’ll have to find the resources to bring your plan to life, or the new or renovated facility will never be more than a drawing or a computer file. Stage sets for a community theater are often built by volunteers with donated materials. In the outdoors, children’s use of language is five times greater than indoors. Mural artists sign a pledge not to create graffiti, but, more important, they – and the community – value and protect their work. I grew up in a working class neighborhood in Boston, on a busy street of apartment houses. One way or another, they’re the people who have to be swayed if you want any substantive backing from the community in the form of money, public policy, the help of municipal workers, the use of municipal property, etc. Progress long term strategic planning for community facilities infrastructure (indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, passive recreation open space, libraries and museums, and general community facilities) which includes focus on strengthening community hubs. startxref Los Angeles River Revitalization highlights the development of the L.A. River and the amenities it offers, making it a vital public resource that has revitalized the area. Your contribution can help change lives. Providing Affordable Housing for All, Section 4. trailer Developing a plan for a facility is one thing; carrying it out is another. 0000000016 00000 n 0000033615 00000 n Great Smoky Mountains National Park, for instance, is within a day’s drive of 60% of the population of the United States, and overuse (it hosts nine million visitors a year) is a serious threat to its ecology. 52 0 obj <> endobj Some gain a 501(c)(3) structure so that they can solicit tax-deductible donations. Good facilities can help to attract new residents. Their multicultural, Latino-led team works with diverse allies to ensure equal access to (1) healthy green land use through planning by and for the community; (2) climate justice; (3) physical education and schools of hope as centers of their communities; (4) health equity and wellness; and (5) economic vitality for all, including jobs and avoiding displacement as communities become greener and more desirable. Several blocks away was a commercial district where our parents did most of their shopping. They exercised my imagination and my body – I regularly walked the half mile or so home from the library with as many books as my arms would hold – and fueled a love for the outdoors and an enthusiasm for literature and learning, both of which I’ve carried with me all my life. In some cases, as we’ve discussed, it may take volunteers and/or donated labor and materials. 0 Changing the Physical and Social Environment, Section 1. In the video Rigoberta Menchu on Children's Health, Happiness, and Play, the Nobel Peace Laureate, a Mayan woman from Guatemala, calls on public officials to create parks and open space for children's health and happiness, speaking at the Tournament of Peace and Hope by Anahuak Youth Association and The City Project. Learn more. If so, why? To us, the park, in the midst of one of the city’s most densely populated neighborhoods, was the Wild West, the Sahara Desert, the Himalayas. ); the quality of service (comfort, cleanliness, courtesy, on-time percentage); safety and security of vehicles, stations, and waiting areas; cost; accessibility; and ease of use. The second part of the plan is a strategy for generating regular income over the life of the facility that will cover staffing, maintenance and upkeep, emergency repairs, and whatever updating might be called for – expansion, replacement of worn-out equipment or furnishings, design changes to reflect changes in the neighborhood. 0000008716 00000 n 0000001646 00000 n Where possible – in seeking major contributions, for example – the best approach is personal. Environments should be attractive and make children feel safe and secure and happy to be there and they should also be places where children can confidently play and learn. A sheet can become a den. We rolled down the hills in summer, and sledded on them when there was snow. A community assessment can help to answer those questions, as well as to identify other areas of strength and concern, and help you construct a long-term plan for improving facilities. In the case of private – or even some public – facilities, it can be difficult to decide when cost prevents something from being considered a community facility. These services bring residents together and actually help create the sense of community that defines a place. A responsible fiscal plan for a facility, whether new or revamped, has two parts. If you have the chance to take your time, however, following these steps can help you get what you need and build a foundation for continuing efforts. You’ve probably already started gathering resources by assembling a planning group. But a facility’s existence or renovation doesn’t necessarily solve the problem. 0000004493 00000 n Partner with other neighborhood groups, churches, community agencies, interest groups, schools, etc. Overview of Changing the Physical Structure of the Community, Section 2. One of the most effective things you can do to improve parks and other facilities in your community is to advocate with decision makers and the public. Physical activity is enhanced. Enhancing the Built Environment through Design, Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE), Building Endowments or large individual donations, Money generated by the use of the facility, Memberships in return for yearly dues or contributions, even your Congressman, and/or their aides, Green Spaces Can Encourage Social Connectedness in Cities, Hey! They can protect open land, extraordinary landscapes, and historic sites, while also functioning as open-air classrooms and laboratories for school children and others. It’s important to think about how much money you need, how much a given fund-raiser can be expected to produce, and how much work it will take (e.g., bake sales and tag sales can be fun to organize and run, but they often take a lot of work and generate relatively little money). This may involve applying for grants, seeking donations from businesses and individuals, staging fundraising events, and making general appeals, and it can take time – two to five years isn’t unusual, and many efforts take longer. ), Churches, synagogues, mosques, and other religious entities, Local, state, and federal government offices meant to serve the public, Public and other sports and recreation facilities - these might include both facilities for the use of the general public – ball fields, basketball and tennis courts, etc. What kind of library do you need, and what already exists in the community that can help you get it?