The number of tickets sold this year has increased by 20 percent. I wish there were illustrations to go along with the ones Greg mentioned! It was so cold last night that my car’s windows were covered in a layer of ice this morning. That’s why we watch movies but look at pictures. A thesaurus (which lists synonyms for any word) will also help you identify words with similar meanings. Someone tried to rob him while he was walking home late last night. wind (to follow a course that is not straight)/wind (a gust of air). Loose/Lose? I like to listen to music while I’m driving. Genuinely curious. The weatherman says that light snow is expected today. "Battered small your whiff, doling," whiskered dole woof, ants mouse worse waddling. You can even search and display similar words in multiple languages! Miner = someone who mines. He created Homophones Weekly for the sole purpose of cleverly illustrating homophones in such an amusing way that everyone will not only enjoy but also get a perfect grasp of these confusing words. These algorithms reduce a word down to a "key" that indicates its pronunciation. Chop: (verb) cut into many small pieces with repeated strokes of a knife. "Wail, wail, wail!" My plan is to stay longer in places that are less often visited by tourists. Listen: (verb) pay attention or be alert to a sound. Tick disk ladle basking tutor cordage offer groinmurder hoe lifts honor udder site offer florist. Are you currently taking a course to improve your English? If you don't know. "O Grammar!" Special kudos to anyone who comes up with a 5 or 6 letter pronounced word. Honor wrote tutor cordage offer groin-murder, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut mitten anomalous woof. This dress is too plain. For example, if you tap on the word “brought,” then you see this: You can learn any video’s vocabulary with FluentU’s fun quizzes. Some of those words are not real homophones. If you want some ice cream, raise your hand now before I finish the whole tub! I didn’t buy it because the price was too high. Desert: (noun) a hot, dry land with little rain and few plants or people (for example, the Sahara). Thanks for subscribing! This word set can be confusing, even for word geeks. To learn how native English speakers use those words, you’d near to hear them in real sentences and situations (but hopefully not when someone actually robs you). You must use this amount of baking powder for the cake to rise. grapheme noun . A quality dictionary or dictionary app will list them all with examples for context. This visual element makes words and their synonyms much more memorable. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. Then when you see the word again, that clue will automatically pop up in your mind and you’ll easily recall the difference. I think it’s great and I hope you create more! The letters "ph" usually sound like "f." For example, the word "laugh" sounds like /laf/; the word "rough" sounds like /ruf/. We certainly have an idea about the common surname of our own countries. To get started, check out these 10 helpful English flashcard apps you can download right now. A nervous sausage bag ice!". I hope their differences are clearer to you now and you’ll be more confident in choosing the right word to use. Its fearsome grammar, tediously long words, and aggressive store names and titles are all what set German apart and what gives German learners and expats migraines. Sign up for our free web site updates here. Both of these words have to do with the concept of hearing. hiatus noun. Whenever you’re unsure of a word’s meaning, look it up in an English-language dictionary. It is also the most peculiar. Picture the letter “i” here as someone raising their hand. Soda wicket woof tucker shirt court, an whinney retched a cordage offer groin-murder, picked inner windrow, an sore debtor pore oil worming worse lion inner bet. For example desert and dessert, where is emphasis is not on the same syllable. Loose and lose don't sound the same either. Many people say the amount of when they mean the number of. 10 words that do not mean what you think they mean. Cut: (verb) divide something into pieces with a knife or scissors. But to hear something, you don’t have to be consciously paying attention. FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If I accidentally leave my phone in the park, will someone steal it? I've never heard of "mynah." Course: (noun) a series of classes you take to learn about a certain subject. All three of these words have to do with the concept of sight, but the difference is in the intent. Oil ketchup wetter letter, an den - O bore!". Write the word on one side of the flashcard and its meaning on the other side and use it to test yourself.