Then, to declare the additional major in place of the minor, they must successfully complete all math requirements for the CS additional major along with at least 75% of the CS requirements. I didn’t apply to CS because I didn’t have much interest in it at first but after doing some programming I found that I really enjoyed it. We advise against taking some courses, such as MATH 103, MATH 104, MATH 109, CS 100, STAT 202, STAT 211, and STAT 220, as they will not help you toward a transfer into Math. Consider taking one or more of the MATH/CS courses that are open to non-math students across the university: MATH 106, MATH 127/137, MATH 128/138, CS 115/135 and CS 116/136. Such students may wish to speak to their current academic advisor about their options. A minimum cumulative average (CAV) of 75%, Strong grades in at least three honours-equivalent math courses from Waterloo, Students who have not completed at least one full-time term at Waterloo, Students currently enrolled in the BASE program, External transfer or readmitted students who have not completed at least one full-time term at Waterloo. Get help on the web or with our math app. Students should speak with the Math internal transfer advisor as well as their home faculty advisor about the potential risks. Michael Colin Short is a former Stanford admissions officer who’s coached students applying to college for the past decade. What should I do since I do not meet the minimum requirements? I was also in the same situation as an undergrad - admitted to the Mellon College of Science for math but waitlisted from the School of Computer Science. I would love to major in CS but I have no affinity for math. Speaking as an undergrad CS major/math minor with almost 30 yrs pro experience, you can certainly qualify for CS positions, particularly ones in math-heavy fields (finance, etc). Consider taking math courses available in a plan already open to you. I wrote some really inspirational post on this site somewhere, which I can find later. "Foundations of mathematics" likely includes practice in proof writing. I still am somewhat and I was an applied mathematics major. Please review this table to determine how you should proceed. You will receive a link and will create a new password via email. Students may not come into the Math Faculty on a work term, the first term in Math must be a study term. Internal transfer offers are sent to students’ campus email accounts. Bio/IST(or CS)double major vs. Bio major + CS minor (&possible masters)??? 312 Adelaide Street West, Suite 301 - M5V 1R2, Added an answer on July 17, 2018 at 12:00 am, https://uwaterloo.ca/math/current-undergraduates/regulations-and-procedures/internal-transfers, Waterloo Application Question (Would Waterloo see my grade 11 math. I ended up transferring to CS. Failure to maintain the minimum requirements would result in the offer of admission being revoked. Difficulty of switching from Math co-op to CS co-op at Waterloo? Consider taking one or more honours math courses with permission from a Math internal transfer advisor as well as an academic advisor from your current Faculty. Department of Combinatorics and Optimization, David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science. Students who are scheduled for a co-op work term in Winter 2021 are not eligible to apply for Winter 2021 admission. I have not found any disadvantage from not being associated with the College of Engineering. Now here I am today with the minor. The Jacobs School of Engineering has a special process to switch into any engineering major. Permission from your home Faculty (see your current academic advisor). Please be aware of your co-op sequence and do not submit an application for admission into Math on a scheduled work term. So, I did way better in my junior and senior years compared to when I was a freshman and sophomore. Michael Colin Short is a former Stanford admissions officer, attorney, and educator who’s coached students applying to college for the past decade. Each term the Associate Dean - Co-operative Studies (Mathematics) and the Faculty Relations Manager - Mathematics, Co-operative Education (CE) invite applications from mathematics students who wish to transfer into co-op. Please monitor your account regularly and respond to offers of admission promptly. Northwestern vs. WUSTL vs Rice vs. UChicago for Math Major. Lost your password? Thanks for the response. Hahaha, your experience is just the opposite of mine. Students who are unable to come to campus may contact us by, Internal Transfer applications are processed a term in advance. In fact, I too would argue it is probably the most beautiful subject to pursue in college (note: there is heavy bias in this response). There is no guarantee that students will be eligible for either co-op or their requested program/plan. Applicants who are interested in admission into Computer Science (CS) should speak to a CS advisor as well as an internal transfer advisor for the Faculty of Mathematics. All applicants who are not accepted into their program/plan of choice will, by default, be considered for admission into Honours Mathematics. Successful applicants must formally accept the offer to officially change Faculties. As a CS & Math major, I believe that CS & Math is a bit more flexible than CS in engineering. CS is really more math oriented than programming and a CS degree worth more than math. Consider taking math courses available in a plan already open to you. Ideally, an A average would put you in a good spot, but this is easier said than done. From program comparisons to admission requirements to residence reviews—get real answers from real Canadian students. Insights and guidance from experts that will smooth the path during your college admissions journey. If an offer of admission into Math is revoked then there can be consequences to your status in your home faculty. Which one of these Waterloo programs am I most likely, Is Pure Mathematics from Waterloo better in the long run, Extracurriculars, Hobbies and Volunteering, International Studies, Exchanges and Travel, Scholarships, Bursaries, Awards and Loans. https://uwaterloo.ca/math/current-undergraduates/regulations-and-procedures/internal-transfersYou'll need at least a high B+/A- average to have a chance. Any students registered in a regular program at the time they apply will be considered as such. Note that upper level math courses like abstract algebra and real analysis focus on mathematical proofs. So you should give CS another shot. If a 1A student wishes to enrol in Honours Math courses in their 1A term, they should get in touch with, A student interested in internal transfer into Math must communicate their intention with a Math internal transfer advisor before submitting their application. Applications for the. Nevertheless, yes, mathematics is very beautiful. CS is really more math oriented than programming and a CS degree worth more than math. Consider taking one or more of the MATH/CS courses that are open to non-math students across the university: MATH 106, MATH 127/137, MATH 128/138, CS 115/135 and CS 116/136. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions. (For example, a student in the Mathematical Physics plan in Science can take MATH 136, MATH 137, and MATH 138; in Engineering, courses like MATH 116, MATH 117, MATH 118, MATH 119, and SYDE 111 can be taken.). Please note: The University of Waterloo is closed for all events until further notice. Students may be enrolled in courses in the term prior to their intended start term with Math, however, in these cases, any offers of admission would be conditional upon a student maintaining the minimum requirements for transfer. Students (including transfer students) should apply during their 1B term. Is Mathematics/Business Administration (double degree) at Waterloo really competitive? Personally, I recommend staying with CS, because you will take a lot of upper level classes, which will be more math than programming. The internal transfer process can be competitive and subject to availability/space. Try to take some more math oriented CS courses than programming and see if you like it. Unfortunately, students with more than two fails would not be considered for internal transfer. What are the requirements to enrol in honours math courses? Internal transfer refers to the process by which a student registered in one faculty would apply to transfer into a different faculty. Personally, I recommend staying with CS, because you will take a lot of upper level classes, which will be more math than programming. I was pretty bad at computation. Should I major in Environmental Science and minor in biology or geology? All rights reserved. Freshman in CS program at NCSU, should I transfer to UNC? I enjoyed computer science in the beginning but as my freshman semester came to an end I realized that I really didn't enjoy it, but at the same time I didn't want to drop the major as I didn't really see myself doing any other major, so I just kind of forced myself to continue with the major even if I didn't enjoy it, telling myself that it would get better. Please note, enrolling in courses the term prior to your intended start term in Math carries risk. Possible to major in CS at these colleges, if not initially accepted into CS Dept? Such students must wait and apply for admission into Math for their next scheduled study term. Got a question about student life? She started ten years ago at the local community college, where…, College Confidential. I want to major in computer science, but I'm so bad at math that I'm starting to lose hope. I was very good at proof based math. First-year teaching experiences at Waterloo, Submission of a Verification of Illness Form (VIF), PhD thesis procedures | External Examiner. Any pending program changes that would take place in their home faculty will not be taken into account. To complete the additional major, students are expected to complete all major requirements with an overall QPA for the double major of 3.0 or higher and meet double counting restrictions. High school grades are not considered during internal transfer.