We’re here to help your pre-holiday planning by providing a handy list of Christmas cookie icing options. Place in an airtight container and freeze 2 to 3 months. Sprinkle with decorating sugar, if using, and bake until just beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Thank you!!! I rolled them out on parchment but they stuck, so I probably didn’t sprinkle enough flour on my parchment. To prevent the cookies from over-spreading, the cookie dough must chill in the refrigerator. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Let me explain why I do this. Be careful not to overmix your dough! Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes. Select product: Parchment Paper, 53 Sq. Learn how your comment data is processed. Carefully remove the top dough piece from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and … In this special FREE series, I reveal my most powerful SECRETS to great baking. Make sure your butter is at room temperature so it can easily combine with the sugar. If it’s sticking to the bottom, run your hand under it to help remove it– see me do this in the video above. How to Make Sugar Cookies with Icing. I shared the recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction several years ago and even published them in my cookbook, too! . When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. -, Our roll-out cookie dough recipe is great for making cut-out cookies of all shapes and sizes. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric stand mixer or hand mixer until light and fluffy. more about Sally, Copyright 2020 Sallys Baking Addiction • WordPress Development by Southern Web • Website Accessibility Statement • Privacy Policy, THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if using) and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Required fields are marked *. With crisp edges, thick centers, and room for lots of decorating icing, I know you’ll love these soft sugar cookies as much as I do. Use your favorite cookie cutters and try my classic royal icing! I can smell them baking already! If you’re not into piping tips, you can simply dunk the tops of the cookies into the icing like I do with my animal cracker cookies. Stir in the … In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Notice how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it in the refrigerator? Let thaw completely in the fridge … This will not only prevent the dough from sticking to your cutter, but the flour on the edges of the cookie will help seal it, which will help your cookies keep their shape in the oven. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The number of cookies this recipe yields depends on the size of the cookie cutter you use. The pictured hearts are decorated with my royal icing using Wilton piping tip #4. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 in. Add the 4 sticks (2 cups) of butter and 2 cups of white sugar to your mixer. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. Set aside. A prime culprit for dry sugar cookie dough is butter than is too warm and soft. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Make Ahead. Do not chill dough. Join the community on the 1st of every month as we tackle a new challenge recipe.Review Sally's Baking Challenge FAQ page if you have any questions. Ft. Egg is the cookie… thick. A word about the butter, we use Sweet Cream Salted Butter when we are baking and I think it tastes great with these sugar cookies too. I made these for Halloween with your royal icing and they were a huge it! They were a big hit with my family. This is a relatively soft dough. Sugar cookie success is in your near future. Yes, this is on the thicker side and yes, this produces extra thick and soft cookies! The butter needs to be softened but still cold. Form the dough into a ball, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. These sugar cookies remain soft because they’re rolled out pretty thick. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Grab a cookie, take a seat, and have fun exploring! Your email address will not be published. How much extract do you recommend? Don’t chill the cookie dough and then try to roll it out because it will be too cold and difficult to work with. Alternately, make cutout cookies by doing the following: Heat oven to 350° F. On a floured surface, roll out each disk ¼ inch thick. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. A tradition since 2013, every December we countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a row! Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. My goal is to give you the confidence and knowledge to cook and bake from scratch while providing quality recipes and plenty of pictures. From the tools you need to get started to some helpful projects to try for birthdays and holidays, this guide on How to Make Sugar Cookies will turn you into a cookie pro in no time! Dip the cookie cutter in flour before each use and cut out shapes. In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Your email address will not be published. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours and up to 2 days. Cut into shapes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets; refrigerate until firm. As soon as your dough starts to clump together, you’re ready to roll. This handy tips and troubleshooting guide will help you with your next baking excursion to make sure your cookies look as stellar as they taste. You only need 7-8 ingredients. With crisp edges, thick centers, and room for lots of decorating icing, I know you’ll love these soft cut out sugar cookies. These cut-out sugar cookies will hold their shape and can easily be customized with colorful sprinkles or, List of ingredients that you can add to your cart by selecting and then choosing "Add Selected to Cart". If you don’t have enough room for two baking sheets in your refrigerator, stack the pieces of rolled out dough on top of each other. These are my favorite sugar cookies with icing. I’ve made them at least 38577 times (that’s a lot of butter), so I figured it’s time to share new recipe tips, a video tutorial, and more helpful information.