Place Homemade Yellow Cake Mix in a bowl. At home I use a chop stick. It's one of the mixes that comes in a box, add vegetable oil, eggs, the mix, and water. The listed suggestions are my favorite, but there are lots of others that I haven't yet tried: a user on Reddit suggests mixing a can of pumpkin purée with a box of cake mix (and nothing else) for awesome muffins, while Oh Bite It recommends using your favorite melted ice cream as the liquid component. Not sure what else the boxes call for. Whatever the recipe calls for, it’s always best to stick with that. Type above and press Enter to search. Milk and buttermilk both make the cake moist, but the texture and taste will be a little different with each. They don't rise well and the white tastes bad. Flavors of pudding depend on type of cake I make but they are always a hit. Don't Miss: 10 Unexpected Non-Food Uses for Mayonnaise. Wait 10 minutes, then use it like regular buttermilk. keep in mind these are just ideas. Because milk contains about 88 percent water, it can be substituted ounce for ounce instead of water. 1 cup whole milk: combine ½ cup evaporated milk and ½ cup water. If the recipes calls for 1/4 cup oil, replace it with 1/4 cup applesauce for extra moistness. You can use it as you would cream in sauces, soups and baked goods. Asked by mayanka. Or to make a basic yellow cake, use the following instructions. Won't be following your advice again?? To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. Sometimes, the taste of the cakes made with milk is a little more bland than cakes made with buttermilk or other ingredients, such as sour cream. Many people will say that they prefer not to use mixes, but keep one in the pantry just in case. At least, that's what I do. In addition, many recipes mix the cocoa with hot water and let it stand for a while as some believe this can help the cocoa to "bloom" which improves the chocolate flavour. Wondering if Adding a can of frosting to a cake mix will make it MOIST? Replace Water with Dairy. Mayo only sounds good to me in chocolate cake. Use some decaf coffee in the chocolate to improve the chocolate flavor. Yes..they are both a liquid. Buttermilk, on the other hand, has 1% acidity level and 2.5 grams of fat per 8-ounce serving. To replace 1 cup of regular milk, use 1/2 cup evaporated milk mixed with 1/2 cup water, or … When the recipe calls for milk, you should always use whole milk unless the recipe says otherwise. I even put toasted coconut and put it on the outside. Without a liquid, the ingredients do not adhere well to each other, and the result is a crumbly, flaky, unstable cake. Cakes made with buttermilk tend to be lighter in texture and have crumbs that are finer and more tender than cakes made with whole milk. 1 decade ago. There are endless ways that you can play with cake mixes. The average cake mix calls for the most boring of liquids: water. The eggs and butter supply enough moisture to hold the ingredients together without the addition of water or other liquids. If your recipe calls for milk or buttermilk, many people think the two ingredients are interchangeable, but is that really true? One of the reasons for this is that cocoa absorbs significantly more liquid than regular flour and a chocolate cake can be a little dry if you don't add extra liquid to help conteract this. I agree that baking is a science but it does allow for a bit of flexibility. I imagine it depends on the type of cake, not necessarily the brand (but could be that too). I volunteer at a school and have boxes of Chocolate and White cake. I recommend replacing the water with a dark soda, like Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper, but a fruity, citrusy soda will also make for a delicious cake. To use it as a milk substitute, simply add water. You may wish to be mindful that it will change your recipe in more ways than just flavor. Yahoo is part of Verizon Media. 3. Horne never tires of entertaining family and friends with both comfort food and unusual delicacies such as garlic cheese smashed potatoes and banana bacon pancakes. I have actually used orange juice instead of milk to give it a more citrus flavor. Use butter instead of oil. Total Carbohydrate "Mayonnaise" and "dessert" aren't words that you typically see placed together. Use the full amount of water required and either bake or discard the extra batter. If your kids like coconut you could get some cans of coconut milk, refrigerate them and then flip upside down and use the liquid that pours out (plus some coconut and vanilla extract to keep it sweet and creamy) and keep the thicker stuff that stays in the bottom you can actually whip up with some powdered sugar to make a whipped frosting or add to whatever frosting you normally use and whip that up to make it go farther and have a coconut taste. When you bake a cake from scratch, you already know you need to follow the directions exactly as they’re printed. Milk and mayo together might have been too much. Adding the small box of pudding with no extra liquids moistens the cake perfectly. // Leaf Group Lifestyle, How to Add Flavor to a Yellow Butter Cake Mix, How to Improve a Box Cake Mix for Cupcakes. Thank you {% member.data['first-name'] %}.Your comment has been submitted. Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Milk also adds other nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D, as well as more calories, to the cake, but it does not dramatically alter the flavor. maybe get some better unsweetened cocoa powder and add just a little bit to the batch to make it taste better. Remember this is a school so I can only use certain flavors as the kids are picky. When choosing a substitute, think about flavors. Store in an airtight container or baggie. Baking Kneads, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. You can also use forks (hold two forks back-to-back so the tines curve away from each other). You can add anything you want, and so long as you like the ingredients, you'll get a good end result. I'll always say that butter is the secret to making a dish better. But with a cake mix, it really makes an enormous difference. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk. Next, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened. When using juice, only use freshly squeezed or juice from a glass bottle; canned juice may contain ingredients that interfere with the leavening ingredients in the mix. But add a dollop of mayo (two tablespoons is perfect) to any cake mix, and you'll instantly see an improvement in the texture. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick): Baking Time : 8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes / 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes / cupcakes — 12-15 minutes / tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes. adding pudding does help a lot but you have got to add an extra egg per box of pudding you use or it.. doesn't turn out so great in texture. Built by Embark. I've never had a texture problem when adding pudding, I don't add extra eggs. You only need enough juice to make the powdered sugar wet enough to pour.