Broccolini is a much newer vegetable—it was created in 1993. What do you think? Won’t work for roast broccoli or broccoli ‘rice’ though. Broccolini is a green vegetable originally developed by the Sakata Seed company of Yokohama, Japan. Green beans aren’t as nutritious as broccoli but they can be used anywhere you’d reach for broccoli apart from broccoli ‘rice’. Nutritionally they are very comparable. Join 39,339+ readers of my weekly newsletter and I’ll send you a copy of my printable Ingredient Substitute ‘Cheat Sheet’ and my 102 page eCookbook…, Beautiful Broccoli with Creamy Tuna Sauce, One Pot Chicken & Broccoli with Peanut & Lime Sauce, The Ultimate Guide to Vegetable Substitutes. Drain well, discarding the cooking water (although if you want you can keep it to use as a stock or a drink). If you’re feeding someone with an aversion to green vegetables, cauliflower can be an excellent broccoli substitute. The smaller you chop the easier they are to eat. I like to toss my raw broccoli in a salad dressing and let it stand for 30 minutes or so to soften slightly before eating. discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking food community. Also see see the Simple Ingredients Substitutes Index. Although I adore it, I find raw broccoli difficult to digest so tend to skip it unless I’m in the mood for a big bout of bloating. Then chop the florettes into tiny chunks. Would broccolini or regular old broccoli do? Broccoli Rabe (pronounced Broccoli Rob) is also referred to as rabe or rapini. The vegetable, often called baby broccoli, isn’t just immature broccoli — instead it’s a hybrid of broccoli and Chinese broccoli. © 2020 CHOWHOUND, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. Cover with the lid and simmer rapidly for 5 minutes. I am making this tonight and cannot find broccoli rabe! So it’s one of those vegetables which isn’t very seasonal. I would think they wouldn't have that bitterness you want in this dish. Cover with foil and roast at 220C (420F) for 15 minutes. You bet. #sogood. To use raw. Will keep for about a week like this, depending on how fresh your broccoli is when you bought it. Read the Help! Chinese broccoli or Chinese kale is a leafy vegetable that comes with thick, glossy … Here... Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week. |, 9 Baking Mistakes That Ruin Your Cakes, Cookies, Brownies & Bread, The Top Trending Fall Foods & Recipes, According to Google, The Best Places to Buy Baking Ingredients Online, Easy Baking Recipes You Can Make with Pantry Staples, The 20 Best ALDI Finds for November Are All About Cookies & Thanksgiving, 8 Easy Ways to Make Boxed Mac & Cheese Taste Like You Made It from Scratch, The Cookbooks We're Most Excited for This Fall, Ready or Not, Pumpkin Spice Products Are Back Again, 7 Helpful Produce Subscriptions You Should Know About, Meal Prep Containers That Will Get You Excited to Make Lunch, How to Store & Defrost Frozen Bananas for Baking, This Cranberry Pumpkin Sourdough Bread Is Peak Fall Baking, This Easy Pumpkin Snacking Cake Recipe Is a Great Alternative to Pie, This One-Bowl Apple Cake Is Everything You Want in a Fall Dessert, Why You Should Spatchcock Your Turkey & How to Do It, The Ultimate Guide to Perfect Mashed Potatoes.