rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odor of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Philippians 4:21. All day long, the mill of his brain is grinding, and his thoughts, not those other things, are his history. All rights reserved. Philippians 4. Bibliography InformationSpurgeon, Charle Haddon. Yet most people today have never heard of John Gill. Philippians 4:8 Sermons: Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think on these things. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. Philippians /. One of the most helpful things I have learned about the Christian life is that all sin begins in our thoughts, which the Bible often calls the heart. He preached in the same church as C. H. Spurgeon over one hundred years earlier. Your browser does not support the audio player. how often have I seen other Christians dishonouring God when they have grown rich, or when they have risen to a position of influence among their fellow-men! of The brethren which are with me greet you. "Commentary on Philippians 4:4". Spurgeon thought that this verse was a great illustration of that wonderful miracle in 2 Kings 4:1-7, where Elisha told the widow to gather empty vessels, set them out, and pour forth the oil from the one small vessel of oil she had into the empty vessels. Here are the matters which should occupy the minds and plans of believers. Go to, To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, Spurgeon's Verse Expositions of the Bible, Commentary Critical and Explanatory - Unabridged, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures. Philippians 4:19. A soldier chained to your hand day and night, however good a fellow he may be, does not always make the most delightful company for you, nor you for him; and it takes some time to learn to be content with such a companion; but, says Paul, “I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”. He preached in the same church as C. H. Spurgeon over one hundred years earlier. “I rejoiced.” So Paul was himself in a happy mood; these saints in Philippi had sent to him in prison a gift by the hand of one of their pastors, and Paul, in his deep poverty, had been much comforted by their kind thoughtfulness about him. Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved. This is unfortunate, since his works contain priceless gems of information that are found nowhere except in the ancient writings of the Jews. For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. Copyright StatementThese files are public domain.Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. A complete set of Spurgeon's sermons is available in e-text format from Ages Software. Amen. Philippians 4:13. Are you interested in the Christian faith? I do not suppose that they sent him very much; but he knew the love that prompted the gift, he understood what they meant by it. That was not an easy lesson to learn, especially when one of those states meant being in prison at Rome. She filled and … What a gracious attainment! The Philippians were the only Christians who had sent any help to this great sufferer for Christ’s sake in the time of his need. Here is a collection of material to help you investigate the facts of the faith, and the possibility of walking with God. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. These two lessons grace alone can fully teach us. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. See how he spends his whole life in the Master’s service, and now he may at last die in prison for want of even common necessaries; let us send him a present to Rome.” How grateful is the apostle for that gift of love! Finding the new version too difficult to understand? The religion of Christ is full of courtesy, and it is full of generous thoughtfulness. 2011. Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things” Philippians 4:20-21. Most of the sermons not included in our collection are available from Emmet O'Donnell's excellent website in .pdf format. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Amen. Proud member Used by Permission. Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.