A guide to the most famous Southern barbecue styles. I have tasted a lot of mustard sauces having lived in SC my whole life and writing a blog dedicated to SC BBQ. But how can you get such a bright yellow color using Brown sugar? Vinegar and Pepper Me likey a lot! The chicken in sauce is marinating in the fridge til time to heat it. But it is ubiquitous here, and I promise you’ll love it if you try it with some pulled pork! Serve this mustard barbecue sauce it with your South Carolina-style pork barbecue or grilled pork or ham. Thank you! I had been looking for a mustard bbq recipe — I had one years ago but lost it. This recipe card may include affiliate links. Go on, give this a shot. To soften the bitter sharpness of the mustard, I add honey and brown sugar, a little heat thanks to smoked paprika and other spices, and apple cider vinegar for some fruity acidity. shaved brussels sprouts salad with warm maple bacon vinaigrette, when to put fresh basil on pizza? If you don’t have time to chill it overnight, use an ice bath to drop the temperature quickly. Excellent!! And glad to have you back! I’m so glad I could introduce you to the glorious deliciousness of mustard-based BBQ! I’m so glad you and your family like it! Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. Try it – you won’t look back! South Carolina BBQ sauce is a little sweet, a little tangy, not spicy at all, and just extremely, extremely good. Thanks for waiting. Discover why the time-honored traditions of South Carolina's "slow and low" keep visitors coming back for seconds. Scott's barbecue sauce is still sold today online and in grocery stores throughout the region, and Melton was named the "King of Southern barbecue" by life magazine in 1958. It is now my favorite BBQ sauce. Add extra honey or brown sugar (or a combination) if you like a sweeter sauce, and feel free to spice it up with some minced hot peppers. Maybe even better! Mustard Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We’ve used it as pizza sauce, drizzled it over leftover carnitas for bbq tacos, and I even like to squeeze a zig-zag of it onto my grilled cheese sandwiches. Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Cinnamon Basil Chicken and Thai Eggplant Stir Fry, Benne Wafers – Charleston’s Classic Sesame Seed Cookies, Sourdough Sun-dried Tomato Artichoke Stuffing, https://www.pinchmeimeating.com/slow-cooker-root-beer-pulled-pork/, Fideos: Toasted Angel Hair Pasta with Crab and Habanero Cream Sauce, Hot Roast Beef Sandwich with Brie and Tomato, Homemade Earl Grey Marshmallows with honey. The sauces are sometimes mopped on during the cooking process or can be served on the side, a subject of much debate among barbecue pit masters. If you can’t find it locally, you can find here. Or just omit the dry mustard? George Washington (often considered the forefather of Guy Fieri) frequently wrote about how much he loved attending barbecues, and he wasn’t the only president to do so. She's worked in food since 2009, including a two-year stint at America’s Test Kitchen. I’m about to make another batch to give to some of my friends as gifts. On the other hand, it is a hyper-regional thing! Its history isn't well-documented; some give credit, again, to German immigrants (pork and mustard!) ask the practical kitchen: how do i stop my pie crust bubbling? I made pork ribs the next day with the leftover sauce. I used molasses instead of brown sugar and it came out great. And because at this time, refrigeration wasn't widely available, barbecue cooks needed to limit menus to that which could be cooked and sold within a short time frame. (But this is just one person's speculation!) Let me know how you like it with the ingredients as written and see if it tastes closer to what you remember! Moss reports that he has found mustard sauce as far south as Jacksonville, Florida, and today, it's been slowly making its way further afield, but regardless of where you find it, mustard sauce is still neon yellow and tossed with chopped or pulled pork. Low and slow. It also makes a fabulous dip for fried chicken strips or nuggets. Whisk to blend thoroughly. Just like the mustard sauce I remember from Charleston! This style of barbecue was commercialized in 1919, with the opening of two stands by Jess Swicegood and the two-man team of Sid Weaver and George Ridenhour, both in Lexington, North Carolina. I figured it couldn’t hurt. This will have a spicy kick to it on the first day you make it. Maybe you’re Carolina born and raised and are living in another state or country and miss the taste of your hometown BBQ. All Rights Reserved. That’s why, for example, Texas BBQ sauce often uses chili powders and spices common to southwestern and Mexican cuisine. I was born and raised in Columbia SC, spent 20+ years in the Lowcountry, so when I moved to the upstate 26 years ago, I really missed Bessingers BBQ restaurants. Early cookbooks, such as Lettice Bryan's Kentucky Housewife (1839) and Annabella Hill's Mrs. Hill's New Cook Book (1872), describe barbecue basted with this simple sauce and dressed very simply, with either lemon and butter (in the case of Bryan) or a little extra sauce (for Hill). Mustard-based BBQ sauce is very regional! Regardless, it was Maurice Bessinger, a devout white supremacist, who first commercialized the sauce and was responsible for its popularity in the region. This was it! In fact, one of my favorites comes from South Carolina, and is a bright yellow, mustard-based sauce that is every bit as delicious as a vinegar or tomato-based sauce. It looks delicious! I make this stuff all the time. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I’m Summer, an editor here at Simply Recipes! Please try again later. Hey Mark, what is Lexington style BBQ? There are a few very good commercial bottles sauces of the South Carolina type just described. This version goes with brown sugar and cider vinegar, as well as some dry mustard and cayenne for kick. She makes a mean peach pie and likes her bourbon neat. This tangy, spicy sauce most frequently seen at barbecue restaurants in Eastern Carolina and South Carolina's northern coast (or Pee Dee region) is the mostly closely akin to the first barbecue sauces and mops used by Native Americans. Hi hi hi I am so excited to share today’s post because it’s been a while since Jimmy’s written a post for the blog and I finally got him to write down his South Carolina BBQ sauce recipe that is so good and I know you will love. Try it – you won’t look back! Most writers and historians credit German influence for this sauce; German immigrants were influential in the region and preferred to cook with pork shoulders over whole hogs (another defining feature of Lexington-style barbecue), and they are said to have created the sauce to mimic the sweet and sour flavor of dishes from Germany. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly before transferring to an airtight bottle or jar. South Carolina is home to four barbecue sauces: mustard, vinegar and pepper, light tomato and heavy tomato. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Hi, I’m planning on making this tonight, but the grocery store didn’t have dry mustard. Thank you for this! we recently moved to ky from sc and i’ve already run out of my stash of maurices bbq sauce. I do like a vinegar style BBQ sauce too on ribs but always mustard on my pulled pork! Hello! Germans. But these two are excellent: Blue Front and Rub Some Butt. Which, if you ask me, is the best way to cook meat. It is very very close to Bessingers, but not exactly. Tastes yummy. Thank you! The bay leaf is also an unusual addition. Please let me know how you like it! Make sure to let it cool in the fridge overnight to give the flavors time to mingle and mellow out a little. South Carolina is The Birthplace of Barbecue and the home of the Official Four Sauces. Nothing like sweet and smoky tomato based barbecue sauces we're used to in the UK. However, as I’m fixing short ribs tomorrow, I’m going to try this sauce recipe right now. He hunts, fishes, forages and cooks near Sacramento, CA. As early as 1700, Moss has found evidence of colonists and their enslaved African cooks doing the same; they'd use a salty, vinegary basting sauce to keep the meat moist as it cooks, but would serve it sans sauce. And I sometimes wish we had served it at our actual wedding! It also makes a fabulous dip for fried chicken strips or nuggets. While we certainly don't mean to insult the great barbecue of Texas, Memphis and Kansas City, the Carolina region of the South holds the title for both the most traditional, and most regionally-specific styles and sauces. I don’t know if there is anything this sauce wouldn’t work on! ~Hank. 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Texas Pete or Frank's Red Hot, 3 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed, or honey (more if you like a sweeter flavor). Of course, the mustard bbq sauce graced a big tray of shredded turkey, and it was fabulous!!! Thank you so much for this recipe. Glad to make you and your granddaughter happy! What I can tell you is that when Jimmy makes this sauce it’s so freaking good I want to put it on everything. looking forward for your reply. My granddaughter gave it “11 stars out of ten!” When she said … “enjoy it now, because it won’t taste the same the next time grandma makes it,” I smugly presented a printed out copy of this recipe and said “I followed it exactly!” So now you can make it whenever you want. First time commenting? When I found out I was diabetic, I haven’t been able to have bbq, and using your recipe but substituting Splenda and a bit of molasses for the brown sugar I can have bbq again. And they're all free for you to use. PS – glad I am still on the email list! Running low on supplies, and didn’t want to have to run to the grocery store for some sauce to put on some boiled chicken breasts I was shredding. Nope. We grew up going to their buffet on special Sundays, full of Southern classics like macaroni and cheese, fried okra, and the reason everyone went there to begin with — the pulled pork. It’s so hard when health issues require you to avoid buying premade items in the store! (recipe here: https://www.pinchmeimeating.com/slow-cooker-root-beer-pulled-pork/) Just takes a little time to shred. Yes, I know such things are bl… Let me know how you like it! Always happy to spread the love of some of our local cuisine! His latest cookbook is Buck, Buck, Moose, a guide to working with venison. In fact, one of my favorites comes from South Carolina, and is a bright yellow, mustard-based sauce that is every bit as delicious as a vinegar or tomato-based sauce. 1 Heat the butter over medium heat until it's frothy, then add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. My sister has to make just about everything from scratch between all her family’s health requirements. Everyone loved it, mostly my 8 y/o daughter :)Thanks and I love your blog and recipes (I’ve made a bunch!!!!). There are a lot of kinds of dijon mustard out there, but this works best with one that has some sort of visible mustard seeds in it. The color is not nearly as pretty, but it tasted wonderful. And how did the people of the 13 colonies celebrate the end of the Revolutionary War? We grew up going to their buffet on special Sundays, full of Southern classics like macaroni and cheese, fried okra, and the reason everyone went there to begin with — the pulled pork. ask the practical kitchen: what’s the best ice cream maker for me? Thanks for the great recipe! Copyright 2018 - Pinch Me, I'm Eating. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. South Carolina’s BBQ sauce is a perfect balance of tanginess and sweetness, with a zing of acidity that pairs well with the natural flavors of low and slow cooked meats.