I have asked for chelsea buns at our bakery but they do not make them often as there is no demand!!!!!!!! Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C for fan oven). The buns are best eaten the same day – although will keep for a day or two. Brush over the buns straight from the oven, top with chopped pecan nuts, if desired.Set aside to cool on a wire rack. Spread the icing onto the bottom of a casserole dish and place the rounds of dough on top. Pour a third of the near boiling milk into the egg mixture and whisk quickly to combine. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C for fan oven). Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. I will use the currants as I do not like chocolate chips. Mix the treacle sugar, cinnamon, sultanas and dried fruit and scatter over the dough. Prepare the Snowflake Easymix Scone mix as instructed on pack. Major reason I spend about 30 minutes every day making my kids lunches. ( Log Out /  Place the slices in a grease proof paper lined baking tin so that all the slices are touching or almost touching. My name is Gudrun Heckl. The endless african sky, the sunshine, the warmth, the Chelsea Buns! Lots of Love Betty, I was there, begging off bits of your bun;) I was the kid who never remembered lunch money…or lunch all that often. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Stirring occasionally to keep the milk from scorching, bring the mixture to just under a boil. Cut into 7 equal slices and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving a little space between each slice.Cover with the greased clingfilm; leave somewhere warm to rise for 30 minutes.Preheat the oven to 190°C.Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.Meanwhile simmer 30 ml (2 T) milk and 25 g sugar in a saucepan for 3 minutes. To see more recipes, please click here.To receive quick and convenient weekday recipes, join our Easy Weekday Meals mailing list, and for up-to-date trending food, restaurant and wine news subscribe to our Editor’s Weekly newsletter. Thank you so much! The buns would come pre-wrapped in cling film, and I remember them being much bigger than any others I have seen in the last few years, and certainly bigger than the ones I recreated. Sift the flour into a bowl and add only 20g of the softened butter by cutting it into small cubes and dropping into the flour. Place back in the bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. ( Log Out /  ( Log Out /  Pour through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl to cool. Place the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Make the glaze while the Chelsea buns are in the oven. Gently heat until the butter is melted and the milk is lukewarm and beat in egg.Make a well in centre of flour mix and stir in the milk to make a soft dough.Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Roll the dough out into a rectangle 1cm thick. Easter now, suddenly had a craving for a good ol’ Chelsea Bun and also searched high and low before finding one with the custard. Visit eatout.co.za to find the perfect restaurant near you. At the wonderful bakery inside the SuperSpar on New Road I hand pick them and sometimes ask for extra glazing. Cut into 7 equal slices and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving a little space between each slice. Ah – you make me happy. Roll the dough into a sausage shape and slice into even rounds. an urban career-girl's dream of losing the nine-to-five and cooking her way through life. Once risen, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 2cm thick. It will solidify into a shiny glaze immediately. Get the latest recipes delivered to your inbox weekly. Really love the writing! … Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. On a lightly floured surface roll the bun dough out into a rectangle measuring about 25cm wide by 40cm long. Roll out the scone dough and add the raisins and lemon zest. Add the sugar and salt and then stir in the egg. While the buns are baking prepare the bun wash by adding a few drops of water at a time to the icing sugar until the consistency is a thick liquid. Melt the remaining butter and brush over the dough. Make sure you have completed all required fields. Stir with a wooden spoon to roughly combine. He was the one that found your recipe on the internet, and I had to make it that day. First try I failed as I did not have the right flour and I mixed dried yeast with the water and milk and it did ot work lol. Now if I made these for their lunch boxes then they would know I really love them;) The glaze will melt and sink into the buns, leaving just a thin coating on top. My husband kept on mouning about not beeing able to find “real” chelsea buns here. I remember Boerewors rolls and toasted cheese sandwiches as well, but no idea what day. Cut into 7 equal slices and place on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving a little space between each slice.Cover with the greased clingfilm; leave somewhere warm to rise for 30 minutes.Preheat the oven to 190°C.Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.Meanwhile simmer 30 ml (2 T) milk and 25 g sugar in a saucepan for 3 minutes. Knock the dough back and turn out on to a floured work surface.