Fortunately, there’s an easy move that borrows from the Dutch oven method. It wasn’t that I was too intimidated by trying something different, like a sourdough baguette, I was just loving the results and didn’t feel the need to switch it up. You will never be able to achieve that depth of flavor when using commercial yeast. This may influence which products we write about and how our web pages are designed. Posted by Matthew Klodt January 20, 2020 September 23, 2020 Leave a comment on Hand-Made French Sourdough Baguettes. These stretches build up the gluten strength, so that the dough can effectively stretch out around the gassy air bubbles without breaking. Working with a wetter dough makes the baguettes a little harder to shape since they are stickier, but I really like the results. I’ll try to make something better later. Basically, most of the time when people make baguettes, they have to proof in a couche, which is just a thick, stiff cloth. Although it’s called sourdough, the bread doesn’t just taste sour. After 7 minutes, the tops should be nice and brown. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use the website. The post Sourdough Baguettes first appeared on Lion’s Bread Blog. Simple Sourdough Baguette Recipe. Shaping a sourdough is pretty straightforward. Freeze for longer storage. https://www.sourdoughandolives.com/recipe/sourdough-baguettes-2 4:15pm – Slash baguettes and bake immediately. Then we gently stretch and fold the dough in the bowl a few times. I went out on a limb on my Instagram stories, and told you all that I wanted to make a Sourdough Starter together, in real time. Hi everyone! Letting the loaves cool right in the turned-off oven helps preserve their crunchy crust. Since I’m all about keeping things simple, the recipe for this dough is identical to my simple sourdough bread recipe. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window). Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Day 1: 10pm – Feed Sourdough Starter the night before, late, Day 2: 8am – Mix flour and water – autolyse for 1.5 hours. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating the pan after 15 minutes, and reducing the temperature to 450 degrees. Not only are baguettes great for making sandwiches, but they are also great with eggs. Using a sourdough starter here adds SO much complexity to the flavor, it’s truly addictive. Cover baguettes with a clean dish towl and let proof. Day 2: 8am - In a large mixing bowl, combine the all purpose flour and water. This is a simple baguette hack that I started doing. I like to go until at least the 2L line and sometimes closer to 3L. This will take around 4-6 hours. An abundance of the classic sourdough crust teamed with an airy, light and chewy inner. The crunchiness is the perfect complement to the eggs. Ingredients. Over the past two months, something kind of crazy and unexpected has happened. simple same-day 100% naturally leavened sourdough baguettes –  no-knead technique yields a creamy airy crumb and a shatteringly crispy thin outer crust. After your dough has doubled, just put the tub into the fridge. 3:10pm – Final shape and preheat oven and pizza stone to 500 degrees F. 4:00pm – Place small baking tray with ice cubes and water in oven to create steam. When you gently scoop the dough out of the bowl, this first pre-shape is getting the dough in the direction of the elongated baguette shape. I made a jenky video to show how to shape them. You may also knead this dough using the dough cycle on your bread machine; once it’s finished kneading, transfer it to a bowl to rise, as directed below. Repeat with the second piece of dough. 9:30am – Add ripe starter, mix in. You don’t *NEED* to knead the dough on a board, by slapping and folding. Really, the only beef I ever had with boules was that they could sometimes be a pain in the ass to cut. Cover the loaves with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let them rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until they’re nice and puffy. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. I’d love to see the baguettes you make. I don’t usually proof in the fridge for more than 12 hours, but do what fits best for your schedule and see what gives you the best result. 10 percent is an easy number to start with and then you can go from there. Sourdough Starter Ready? Responsive Web Designer, Web Developer, Online Marketing & SEO Expert. Please remember to tag me on Instagram if you make these @lions.bread, and remember to tap any image on this post to Pin It to your favorite Pinterest boards. Cover and let rest for 45 mins. Turn off the oven, return the loaves (without the pan) to the oven, and crack the oven door open a few inches.