This country-punk band will appeal to soldiers and veterans of all genres with this gritty and evocative song. We Were Soldiers by SGT Mackenzie. And even now every time I dream, I hear the men and the monkeys and the jungle scream. The chorus of this song: “And we would all go down togetherWe said we'd all go down togetherYes we would all go down together”. The song portrays a soldier who comes home from war to discover he has a new perspective on his country and how he fits into it. “Many a good man I saw fall. Discover the best online memorial sites for remembering a loved one... Facebook. She makes it clear that while she herself isn’t pro-war, she supports soldiers. This earnest song may be able to help you express your own feelings of worry to a soldier or veteran you care about. Most of the songs on our country and rock lists are older songs. '.webs.com' : 'none'; --> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WdUJPAG0ns8. Oh, that reminds me “Letter from Iraq” by the Bouncing Souls with Garett Reppenhagen (former soldier) is haunting as well. On November 8, 1965, a search and rescue operation called Operation Hump took place during the Vietnam War. It gives an authentic glimpse into a real soldier in battle. Continue reading. This folksy Americana track is a lovely meditation on how people at home worry about their children and loved ones fighting overseas. There’s nary a trooper in the world who can discount this as noise. Jon Boden can only take half credit for this song since the legendary Rudyard Kipling wrote the poem in 1890 that he put to music. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” by Creedence Clearwater Revival, However, songwriter John Fogerty has said it was really about tensions between members of the band. In particular, they seek to raise awareness about PTSD, which one of their members suffers from. Scottish band SGT Mackenzie does a powerful job of humming a war tune mixed with highland bagpipes that stays with you. Doesn’t matter who you are or where you served, Dire Straits got it right on this one. For You by Keith Urban from the Act Of Valor soundtrack. A song about three young soldiers at Vimy Ridge, told from the perspective of the one who survived. It’s Cash’s straightforward, simple delivery and impactful lyrics that give this song a punch to the gut. I was Only 19 by Redgum. Their mission is to inspire veterans on a journey of recovery from physical injuries or emotional trauma. This one you’ve probably never heard of but when you do, you won’t forget it. 6. We considered Ira Hayes, but in the end Drive On was better. All I ever wanted to do was flyLeave this world and live in the skyI left the C130 out of Fort Worth townI go up some days I don't wanna come downWell I fly that plane called the Angel FlightCome on brother you're with me tonightBetween Heaven and earth you're never aloneOn the Angel FlightCome on brother I'm taking you homeI love my family and I love this landBut tonight this flight's for another manWe do what we do because we heard the callSome gave a little, but he gave it allI fly that plane called the Angel FlightCome on brother you're with me tonight(Come on brother you're with me tonight)Between Heaven and earth you're never aloneOn the Angel FlightCome on brother I'm taking you homeCome on brother I'm taking you homeWell, the tarstrips queit and the stars are brightFeels kinda like church in here tonightIt don't matter where we touch downOn the Angel Flight its sacred groundI fly that plane called the Angel FlightGotta hero riding with us tonightBetween Heaven and earth you're never aloneOn the Angel FlightCome on brother I'm taking you homeCome on brother I'm taking you homeCome on brother I'm taking you homeCome on brother I'm taking you home, I was there in the winter of '64When we camped in the iceat Nashville's doorsThree hundred miles our trail had ledWe barely had time to bury our deadWhen the Yankees charged and the colors fellOverton hill was a living hellWhen we called retreat it was almost darkI died with a grapeshot in my heartSay a prayer for peaceFor every fallen sonSet my spirit freeLet me lay down my gunSweet mother Mary I'm so tiredBut I can't come home 'tilthe last shot's firedIn June of 1944I waited in the blood of Omaha's shoresTwenty-one and scared to deathMy heart poundin' in my chestI almost made the first seawallWhen my friends turned and saw me fallI still smell the smoke, I can taste the mudAs I lay there dying from a loss of bloodSay a prayer for peaceFor every fallen sonSet my spirit freeLet me lay down my gunSweet mother Mary I'm so tiredBut I can't come home 'tilthe last shot's firedI'm in the fields of Vietnam,The mountains of AfghanistanAnd I'm still hopin', waitin', prayin'I did not die in vainSay a prayer for peaceFor every fallen sonSet our spirits freeLet us lay down our gunsSweet mother Mary we're so tiredBut we can't come home 'tilthe last shot's fired'Til the last shot's fired[Choir:]Say a prayer for peace (for peace)For our daughters and our sonsSet our spirits free (set us free)Let us lay down our guns[Trace:]Sweet mother Mary, we're so tiredBut we can't come home (Nowe can't come home)[Choir:]'Til the last shot's fired, I never thought that this is where I'd settle downI thought I'd die an old man back in my hometownThey gave me this plot of landMe and some other menFor a job well doneThere's a big white house, sits on a hill, just up the roadThe man inside, he cried the day they brought me homeThey folded up a flagAnd told my mom and dad"We're proud of your son"And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of propertyI'm on sacred ground, and I'm in the best of companyI'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've doneI can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen onesI made it to ArlingtonI remember Daddy brought me here when I was eightWe searched all day to find out where my granddad layWhen we finally found that crossHe said "Son, this is what it costsTo keep us free"Now here I am, a thousand stones away from himHe recognized me on the first day I came inAnd it gave me a chillWhen he clicked his heelsAnd saluted meAnd I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of propertyI'm on sacred ground, and I'm in the best of companyAnd I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've doneI can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen onesI made it to ArlingtonAnd every time I hear twenty-one gunsI know they brought another hero home to usWe're thankful for those thankful for the things we've doneWe can rest in peace, 'cause we are the chosen onesWe made it to ArlingtonYeah, dust to dustDon't cry for usWe made it to Arlington,