The key is selecting a bottle of wine is using one that you’d drink as well. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and transfer to preheated oven. I'm Amanda... a wife, mother of two rambunctious kiddos, photography nerd, and bacon lover! Ohhhh, the flavor. Stir that mixture into the sauce and let cook for 5 minutes. Still amazing. We are having a dinner party with six people. Chef. The best cut of meat to use in a beef stew or beef bourguignon are: Typically Beef Bourguignon is made with a Burgundy red wine: so think Pinot Noir or Gamay. I made the crock pot Beef Bourguignon. Do you serve this over noodles? Pat meat dry. Usually it is cooked with bacon, onions, garlic, carrots, a bouquet of fresh herbs and garnished with pearl onions and mushrooms. Crock Pot Pork Carnitas with Avocado Crema, Crock Pot Southwestern Corn & Potato Chowder. LOL Julie & Julia is definitely a close second on the ‘foodie’ film list! To make this recipe in the slow cooker, I changed it up a bit and only sautéed a few ingredients separately before adding everything to slow cooker! No agenda just desiring a delicious meal to savor. Sprinkle with flour, stir well and cook on saute for a further 1-3 minutes. Garnish with additional thyme or flat leaf parsley. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. I think what I love about this movie is he doesn’t go off of a recipe. Add bacon to the skillet. I saved the flour/salt/pepper mix I had tossed the meat in and just mixed it with butter before adding to the pot. Then add meat and sear each side for 2-3 minutes until it is slightly browned. This recipe looks amazing, can’t wait to try it. The only “tweaks” I made were adding some crushed red pepper,  dash or two of liquid smoke and a red wine vinegar finished. I always thought beef bourguignon was so hard and complicated to make, but once I tried it a few years back, I realized it’s actually pretty simple! Julia Child, aka the best chef ever, recommends a hearty burgundy wine, and we almost always use a Pinot Noir when we make this beef bourguignon recipe. Add onions to slow cooker. Stir, cover and continue cooking 30 minutes or up to an hour, until gravy has thickened to your liking. Tip the onion, carrot and celery into the pan and fry for 5-10 mins until soft. This is one of my favorite meals! Add bacon to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until meat is tender Can’t wait to hear what you think of that Beef Bourguignon! Pour red wine mixture into the slow cooker. Now here’s another one with different ingredients and no mushrooms , I hope you enjoyed this recipe, if so don’t forget to share and like. Things are starting to cool off here in Ontario, CA next week (still in the low- to mid-twenties at the moment) so this is definitely going on the menu in the next couple weeks! This recipe is a keeper! Can I forgo the potatoes in the stew and use more meat? The purpose is that the flour is coated in the butter fat, which allows it to mix right into the hot liquid, instead of clumping, like it would if you added flour by itself. Just place in a freezer safe storage bag and freeze up to 3 months. Increase heat to MED HIGH and brown beef in bacon fat, cooking about 1-2 minutes per side, until browned. Yes, you can freeze Beef Bourguignon. Beef bourguignon doesn’t have to take hours in your oven, you can make it low and slow right in your crockpot and come home to an amazing meal! I like to serve a Caesar salad https://www.thechunkychef.com/homemade-caesar-salad-dressing/. I know for sure this would be a huge hit in my house! I don’t recommend cooking this on high, as I don’t think it gets as tender, but if you want to try, you could try 3-4 hours on high. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Remove bacon, and set aside. I’ve not tested this recipe other than as written, but I think that would work just fine . Also am making mashed. Required fields are marked *. Those are just a few. Get our newest recipes in your inbox PLUS our Free E-Book with everything you need to know about cooking Chicken confidently! Into the slow cooker add the mushrooms, carrots, half the bacon, broth*, second half of the salt, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, pearl onions and red wine. Comfort cooking at it’s best…it was fabulous! Every time I see that grilled cheese I crave it! Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to LOW, so liquid is simmering, and simmer about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender enough to fall apart. It’s totally one of those “feel good” movies. I used a 6 quart slow cooker, but it wasn’t all the way full. I want to keep my old recipes and let my slow cooker get dust in the cupboard! This time of year, I’m torn. Thank you….looks delicious! In a large skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Add oil to the pan and then add meat. That is my favorite way to cook. The biggest difference between these two classic comfort dishes is that beef bourguignon has the beef simmered in red wine to really enhance the flavor of the beef and give it a deep rich flavor. I usually use a Pinot Noir because it is a little more fruity, but have also use a Cabernet Sauvignon as well. Channel your inner Julia Child with BEST Beef Bourguignon Recipe you’ll ever make! Your email address will not be published. In a large skillet, cook bacon over MED heat until browned and crispy. This looks amazing! Hi, Choose HIGH PRESSURE and selection 30 minutes cook time. If the sauce is not thick enough, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (or arrowroot) along with 1 tablespoon of water to a small bowl. You could use an equivalent amount of beef stock, but it won’t have the same flavor. Turn the valve from sealing to venting to let any remaining pressure release. IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Easy Crock Pot Turkey Stuffed Shells with Spinach, The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars. Top with most of the bacon pieces. Cheers! If your budget is more open, beef brisket is another good option. They ate it quietly. Heat 1/2tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and brown the beef well all over – do this in batches, adding more oil as needed. Tag @joyfulhealthyeats on Instagram and hashtag it #joyfulhealthyeats. Thanks! And if I’m being honest. The Mennonite Casserole also bad.