You can either feed a crowd with it, or freeze it as part of meal prepping for future meals. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a double layer of foil. The ribs came out tender, juicy and bursting with flavor and we actually had enough leftovers to have two more meals (after serving four, initially). When ribs are cooked and tender, carefully remove and discard top layer of foil from baking sheet. It is a really strong flavor/smell. Turn down the heat and let the polenta bubble gently for about 5 minutes. Too salty and the flavors just did not work for me. And I promise the small amount of chopping is more than rewarded in the final product. Definitely gonna make again. Then add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Grind the whole spices to a powder using a pestle and mortar or spice grinder. And I’ve been having so much fun creating new recipes with a twist. plus 1 tsp. www.theeatingtree.com/2015/04/18/chinese-five-spice-pork-belly Agreed, it’s so easy to just get in a rut with what you’re comfortable with, but the best is always outside the box! Will definitely make again! The flavor profile here is amazing!!!!!! Your email address will not be published. Pour the cooking juices from the pork tray into a small saucepan and place over a high heat. Add a little cider (you may not need it all) and reduce until syrupy. And that you should shoot for ~190 F internal if you want your ribs to have any chew to them. What the heck?) Fresh orange juice and zest, along with freshly minced garlic and ginger make a huge difference. It sounded good that I made 3 racks o we would have lots of leftovers. 6 tsp. A couple of them even liked the sauce on the potatoes! I put pen to paper, and started drafting flavor combinations I’ve known and loved in the past. Extra recipe inspiration using fun spice mixes: California Sushi Bowls with Japanese Togarashi Mayo, Pomegranate Glazed Moroccan Inspired Meatballs, Raspberry Spinach Salad with Caramelized Garam Masala Pumpkin Seeds. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. Heat over medium and bring to simmer, whisking often. And I’ve been loving having freezer meals on hand again. I mean it’s addictive enough to make a batch of this pulled pork strictly because you want leftovers ready-to-go in the freezer. Secure the lid, and set the cooking time for 6-8 hours on high. We don't own a grill so this was the perfect recipe for us - actually, it's so maintenance I'd rather use the oven than a grill for ribs anyway. Preheat broiler. To make the polenta, bring the stock to a gentle boil and whisk in the cornmeal a little at a time. Set aside. Totally didn’t use the methodology (I did them in the slow cooker to start and then finished then under the broiler), but shout out to the sauce: the real MVP here. © 2020 Condé Nast. I’m enjoying country living here in the Flathead Valley, Montana. How many minutes if to cook if I put the ribs in the oven? First time making ribs and it was a slam dunk. They were awesomely good! Method. I would suggest using low-sodium soy sauce and then adding salt later so you have a little more control, I ended up thinning the sauce out with some onion, honey, and butter due to the salt. Remove from oven and brush remaining sauce over. Wonderful! Cut 2 3-lb. Place racks in upper third and middle of oven; preheat to 350°. Cut 2 3-lb. Do not leave unattended). Meanwhile, whisk ½ cup hoisin sauce, ½ cup soy sauce, 3 Tbsp. The 5-spice gives this pork a hint of pho flavors, so obviously it’s addictive! Garnish with the fennel crisps and serve the cider gravy alongside. Sprinkle the 5-spice powder evenly over the top. Since this recipe is really simple with only a few ingredients, it’s important they’re the best quality possible. Chinese five-spice powder in a small saucepan to combine. salt for 1 lb. Serve as much as you need immediately. I also removed the membrane from the back of the ribs as suggested in a previous post. Chinese five-spice powder in a small bowl to make a rub. I hope you find something inspirational; let me know what you think. Five spice is pretty intense so I used half in the rub and skipped it in the glaze. Had to get really creative to make the leftovers palatable. I did a bit of a mashup with Carla Lalli Music’s Instant Pot Ribs recipe. The weight of a rack of can vary greatly, so you'll need to adjust the salt accordingly: As a general rule of thumb, use 1 tsp. And finally when it’s fork tender, it’s time to shred it. The poorer the quality of the spoon in this case, the better it works. When the roast is fork tender, and falling apart, it’s ready to be shredded. I made BA’s hoisin to use for this recipe, which is good on its own, but with the extra spices it was even better. Set aside and keep warm. All products featured on Bon Appétit are independently selected by our editors. Set aside. Season all over with Arrange flesh side (convex side) up. I’ve also made a soup using some of this pulled pork with my homemade stock I had in the freezer. Tip: To easily peel the skin on ginger root before chopping it, use a spoon to scrape the peel away. This recipe knocked it out of the park - no alterations needed. Make them for your end-of-summer barbecue, but be sure to provide plenty of napkins (and maybe a plate of crunchy, bright vegetables for some refreshment). Even so, we didn’t even come close to getting tired of it. From there I had a vague memory of a stir fry that had both 5-spice and orange in it. This recipe is another result of trying to branch out more often with different spices. However, when you buy something through the retail links below, we earn an affiliate commission. meat (our recipe calls for 2 Tbsp.—a.k.a. I bought a set of 4 at Walmart for $2 and they’re really handy as kitchen tools. Then to finish it off, I added in some rice ramen noodles and lots of chopped baby spinach. Restaurant recommendations you trust. Of course teriyaki always comes to mind, and you could do that with a pork roast similar to my Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken. Put the pork skin on a flat baking tray, season with salt and place another baking tray on top of it. These turned out great. It turned out to be an instant hit with both of us, and one of the best parts about this recipe is how much it makes. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. Thank you, it’s definitely and super easy recipe! YESSSSSS all the orange zest. Only thing I'd add is season the ribs a couple hours before cooking. Learn how your comment data is processed. Since there’s just the two of us, I froze several packages we had leftover of the pulled pork. Ribs were tender but flavors were not good. Recipes you want to make. brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. Mix 3 Tbsp. Season all over with spice rub, being sure to coat sides and edges and to gently press the rub into the meat. My name is Kari. Roast until crispy. This is one of those recipes I'll be dreaming about in a week or two. Holy smokes these are SO YUMMMY!!! So instead of making another Slow Cooker Rosemary Pork Roast, (which is also fantastic) I decided to step outside my comfort zone again, and do something Chinese inspired. This roast takes quiet a while since it’s so large, but start checking on it after 5-6 hours. Definitely had to shorten the cooking time (2.7 lbs of ribs were done in 80 minutes) and used 1 tsp salt/lb of meat as directed in the instructions above the recipe, otherwise made everything as written. Very memorable. Place the pork roast into a large 6-quart oval shaped slow cooker. salt—because it's based on two 3 lb. When the pork is fully shredded, place it back into the juices. I have no idea where I had that particular combination before, but it stuck with me, so I decided to go with it. If racks of ribs you're cooking are much smaller than called for, check early—they'll cook in less time. Scatter the onions, garlic and bay leaves over the base of a roasting tray. The sauce was delicious and way more unique than any store bought BBQ, although the sauce was quite salty. This sauce is SO GOOD. (I’ll be sure and list some of the recipes I’ve been doing below.). Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with sea salt. Pour 1½ cups water into baking sheet, then cover tightly with foil. Peel and finely grate 4" piece ginger and 5 garlic cloves into saucepan. So far I’ve made these pulled pork bowls, and the recipe for the  Sesame Ginger Glazed Green Beans will be coming soon. I only used about 1/2 cup water on the sheet tray. To make the braised fennel, heat the butter in a frying pan and braise the fennel slices in the butter until soft. I love to create mostly healthy recipes, and occasionally a chocolatey indulgence. Broiling the sauce on top really put this over the top, and I served it garnished with green onions. Bon Appétit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Required fields are marked *. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. Thanks. Made this with 2 teaspoons of five-spice in the dry rub, but would cut that down to 1 teaspoon next time. I love this! St. Louis-style pork ribs are flatter and fattier (not to the mention less expensive) than baby back ribs, which means that they'll brown more easily. honey, and remaining 1 tsp. racks St. Louis-style ribs in half (to create 4 smaller pieces). All rights reserved. To serve, place a spoonful of polenta onto the serving plate along with the braised fennel and top with the roasted pork and a piece of the crackling. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Used this one for all the ingredients and prep, but pressure-cooked the ribs on high in the IP for 11 minutes (plus 10 minute pressure release time) with mirin as the cooking liquid - and then finished them on the bbq grill. Cook, stirring, until just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2–3 minutes longer. I didn’t have soy sauce (who doesn’t have soy sauce?