It may be just the thing for some kids. Maybe my kids won’t grow up to be as uptight as their mother and father! While the die has been... To see what your friends thought of this book. They are on the publisher’s website. Bought it for a friends kid needing some helped-he has found it helpful. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Mindfulness is simply making yourself aware of the little things, your breath and simply being while accepting the moment. I will revisit this review in a while to say whether this worked for her and us as a family. Read Harder 2017: Book You've Read Before. My child has issues recognizing and and controlling her emotions and there are many things to help address this. I've done some of the exercises on the CD that comes with the book with the boys and my boy with Aspergers responds really well to them, so I will keep it up and use it for him to relax and lower his anxiety. I have printed the pages within the book and led groups with my students, but they don’t last as long as I would like. As my daughter would say, "This book was adorbs!". The book is for adults, but I kept wishing that it had a short section to read to my daughter to teach her about some of the concepts. Maybe it's also that it tries to speak to both children and parents. Reviewed in the United States on May 27, 2019. Maybe it's also that it tries to speak to both children and parents. In my opinion, the book is sort of the 'manual' for the cd. Eline Snel's Sitting Still Like a Frog method of meditation has introduced hundreds of thousands of children worldwide to become more relaxed and attentive, more aware of their bodies and emotions, … Highly recommend! So many children's meditation tapes rely heavily on t. I really liked this book! Sometimes he goes through a few more. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Eline Snel is a therapist and certified MBSR trainer and runs the Academy for Mindful Teaching in the Netherlands. She does this regularly and has a hard time going back to sleep. This book offers encouragement, examples, and practical exercises for those that are willing to use simple mindfulness practices to help children between the ages 5-12 deal with anxiety, improve concentration, and handle difficult emotions. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on December 14, 2019. Wonderful! Good short meditations on the CD; ideal for introducing children to meditation. I wanted to learn new techniques to help my boys wind down at night and work through strong emotions. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published The kids - ages 5-12 loved it! [That said, I’ve found myself in front of a room full of kids who sat with the unflinching stillness of bronze Buddha statues, but that’s because regular practice was part of their school experience.] My daughter is 5 and has trouble falling asleep-settling down at night like most kids, and dealing with strong emotions. Do you need the CD to enjoy the book? I read a digital galley version, so I did not listen to the CD of guided exercises that is included with the book, however I understand that the 60 minute CD includes guided exercises read by Myla Kabat-Zinn. I facilitate a mindfulness workshop for kids, and we just finished using this book as our guide. Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents). Reviewed in the United States on June 20, 2016. She also has trouble getting to sleep at night, and we have practiced calming/relaxing techniques with her. Her program has been used in numerous primary schools in the Netherlands. More often than not, their waking hours are filled with hollering, yelling, whoops of joy, cries of "It's not fair!" Eline Snel is a therapist and certified MBSR trainer and runs the Academy for Mindful Teaching in the Netherlands. The author states: “Mindfulness is nothing other than present-moment awareness, an open and friendly willingness to understand what is going on in and around you” (Sitting Still Like a Frog, p. 2). After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Not too cutesy, not too monotone. The book is for adults, but I kept wishing that it had a short section to read to my daughter to teach her about some of the concepts. Some meditations seem meant for morning or daytime, but we always do them at night. This book is packed with entertaining and useful activities that children ages 4–8 can do alone or with a parent, including: • Fun yoga exercises Sometimes it seems that their default volume is LOUD and escalates to REALLY LOUD without much effort at all. This is a short introduction to mindfulness activities for children. I liked it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I have a five year old that happens to be exhibiting some symptoms of ADHD, sadly it runs in the family as her father and brothers have it. by Shambhala. It just looks so cute, it seems like a kid book, not a parenting book. I was really expecting to love this book. I found reading a chapter at a time and trying the techniques helped me to work out which would be worth repeating. CD with guided mindfulness exercises makes this a valuable asset for parents wanting to help their children with focus, attention and, self soothing for stress relief. I thought the book would have more structure but it seems very freeform to me (although maybe it's just that it's too subtle for me to notice). I think she has the feeling someone 'gets' her, when she is listening to the recordings acknowledging her turbulent emotions, and conflicting thoughts, and tension. Great for children experiencing anxiety nervousness or insomnia. Sitting Still Like a Frog introduces the basics of mindfulness to children in an easy-to-understand and playful way. It is essential for optimal learning and emotional balance, and to protect the developing brain in young people from the negative effects of excessive stress.”. My daughter is 5 and has trouble falling asleep-settling down at night like most kids, Reviewed in the United States on May 1, 2018. I loved some of the exercises for myself as well. Definitely a great purchase. Audible version: I got this after I heard someone was using it in schools to calm classrooms, and my school has recently started a mindfulness program, so I thought it would be a good way to familiarize myself with the topic. You can do … She also has trouble getting to sleep at night, and we have practiced calming/relaxing techniques with her. Students enjoyed the easy to do activities! a solid guide for the caring but empowering (vs. enabling) parent. We have the same problem with our 5 year old not wanting to go to sleep and I think the CD is helping. I wanted to learn new techniques to help my boys wind down at night and work through strong emotions. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Sitting Still Like a Frog Activity Book: 75 Mindfulness Games for Kids at Amazon.com. The CD is nice and my 4 year-old daughter likes the spaghetti meditation and the frog one. My oldest has ADHD and it teaches her to calm herself. I'm so impressed with the way this is done and how my children are responding to it. Some of the exercises have helped my kids pause and recognize. There are also some exercises in the book. Not that the text of the actual book wasn’t helpful, but for me it was too vague, not going deep and detailing enough to engage my thoughts. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. This is a nice collection of exercises to try with kids. Simple mindfulness practices to help your child (ages 5-12) deal with anxiety, improve concentration, and handle difficult emotions. I loved the illustrations when I first started looking through the book. The cover art and presentation make this seem like a book to read aloud to your kids, but it’s actually a book for adults to read for exercises to do with their kids. She loves it particularly on school days and in mornings. Reviewed in the United States on June 16, 2018. She has recently started a pilot project in various secondary schools to teach mindfulness practices to teenagers. Eline Snel's Sitting Still Like a Frog has helped thousands of children around the world to become more relaxed and attentive, more aware of their bodies and emotions, and more open toward others. It guides children in the cultivation of presence: presence of mind, presence of heart, and presence in the body. I'm not sure if it was a translation issue or its age (it wasn't written that long ago but somehow feels a bit dated) - or the increase in mindfulness in culture since it came out. Reviewed in the United States on April 22, 2016. Parents should start with their children. They didn’t like listening to the CD but the techniques taught in the book helped me to be their guide through simple meditation. I thought the book would have more structure but it seems very freeform to me (although maybe it's just that it's too subtle for me to notice). It turns out we're all kids! Nice Games & Exercises to Use With a Child to Practice Attentiveness & Mindfulness, Reviewed in the United States on April 22, 2019. Most of the things in here certainly are good ideas, but they don't feel new or too insightful - but maybe they will be for some. Anyone who’s ever taught children mindfulness, concentration, or relaxation knows that one can’t use the same tried and tired approach one does with adults. Reviewed in the United States on July 29, 2015. During the time that she's transitioning away from daily naps, she still needs quiet time at school and in her room on weekends, to settle her very active mind. I'm all about meditating (by myself and even with my kids). It definitely reminded me to live more in the moment with the boys and also myself. The frog approach almost makes it seem like it’s really a children’s book and our little one acts out the part of the frog. My favorite part was discussing feelings as weather for eve. A real how-to for kids, the meditations use simple straight forward visualizations, and analogies, that are pitch perfect for this broad age group. If you're buying this for your 5 year-old there will be one that are too old for him and ones that are too easy. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It has helped my child to be calmer all throughout the day. Wonderful! There's a problem loading this menu right now. This seems to focus more. This is the twin premise of Snel’s book: that one needs to tailor one’s approach to teaching children to be mindful, and that their practice needs to be integrated into their life on the whole. He even insisted to introduce it to his other little friend who came for a sleepover!!!! This was a good and easy read (took me a day to finish) but the reason behind the 3 star rating is the fact that it relies heavily on the audio meditation files which are not transcribed anywhere in the book. This CD has done wonders and it has only been 4 days. My daughter found the first exercise boring and difficult at first, but loved the remaining ones. Works a treat with my 6 year old. I recommend listening to the same track several times before moving on to the next track, this way they get well versed in one technique/imagery and develop some mastery before jumping prematurely to another. I'm all about meditating (by myself and with my kids). I would say you mainly need the CD. December 3rd 2013 See 1 question about Sitting Still Like a Frog…, Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids, 7 Books To Make The Lead Up to College Less Stressful. Each evening we listen to 1-2 (sometimes 3 if needed) meditations and he goes to sleep feeling much more calm and relaxed. Can it be read without the CD? For example, she told me this morning that she woke up in the middle of the night. Some of the parts reminded me of things I was practicing and reading about when preparing for natural childbirth.