10.We see them every week. An old man sat down and read his book. The train leaves every morning at 18 AM. Remember, there is slight difference between independent and dependent clause. Subject= Asad  Verb= waited  and complete thought of the sentence. Stop! 10 Examples of Simple Present Tense Sentences My son lives in London. I finished my work before i ate breakfast. And the others are also interrogative … Simple sentences can consist only of one word. A common weakness in writing is the lack of varied sentences. There are various forms of sentences you can use in your writing –. The train was late. Here are a few: So, you can see that all of the clauses above work as sentences. listeners: [], A simple sentence can be very short, but some are long too, so long as they only have one subject-verb combination. Modifiers make the sentence more detailed. This is an independent clause or a complete simple sentence. A compound sentence refers to a sentence made up of two independent clauses (or complete sentences) connected to one another with a coordinating conjunction. Run! Where? They help give a clearer idea about the things in the sentence. The most important thing to remember about simple sentences is that they never have more than one subject or more than one predicate. Dependent clauses always begin with subordinating conjunctions are as follows: Your email address will not be published. Does he go to school? Bite! Most of the simple sentences cited in the list of examples are imperative, which is a kind of sentence that gives commands. There are various forms of sentences you can use in your writing – simple, compound, complex and compound-complex. if (!window.mc4wp) { A simple sentence is the most basic sentence that we have in English. When? Lets first understand the coordinating conjunctions & Independent clause, Coordinating Conjunctions for Compound sentences. window.mc4wp.listeners.push({ Why? Last night, I ate dinner at a restaurant with my brother and sister.As you can see, even though some of these sentences are long, each only has one subject and one verb (one clause). 2.Does she live in Paris? A simple sentence is also the shortest possible sentence; it can have as little as two words! She plays basketball. The train was late.“The train” = subject, “was” = verb. When I come home, I will eat dinner. Overall, a simple sentence is exactly what it sounds like—simple! All sentences have one main important part: an independent clause. It usually rains every day here. As mentioned, sometimes they are very short, or sometimes they include modifiers or objects that make them longer. A simple sentence CAN have a compound subject (two people using the same verb), but that’s still just one subject. 1. An object is the word affected by the verb or preposition in a sentence. I waited for Maria and samina at the bus station. nor etc)  indicate some type of relationship between the two independent clauses in the sentence. 28 Examples of Simple Sentences in English. } Examples of Longer Simple Sentences. Becoming aware of three general types of sentences, it can help you vary the sentences in your writing. Does he play tennis? These examples are all simple sentences, despite their length: The mangy, scrawny stray dog hurriedly gobbled down the grain-free, organic dog food. Interrogative Sentences, Definitions and Examples, Using and Difference Between DURING, FOR and WHILE, Simple Present Tense Positive, Negative, Question Examples, Compound Sentences in English, Examples of Compound Sentences, 25 Examples of Simple Present Tense Sentences, Synonyms Of However, However Synonyms Words List, Meaning and Example Sentences, Synonyms Of Friend, Friend Synonyms Words List, Meaning and Example Sentences, Opposite Of Partition, Antonyms of Partition, Meaning and Example Sentences, Opposite Of Preceding, Antonyms of Preceding, Meaning and Example Sentences, Opposite Of Support, Antonyms of Support, Meaning and Example Sentences. Depending upon structure, these include: 1. English Solved MCQS for FPSC PPSC NTS PTS OTS Test -2019, FPSC Custom Inspector-Descriptive Test (English) Guide | 2019 - Content, Subject-Verb Agreement | Descriptive Writing| 2019 - The self learning, Senior Auditor 2019 Test Preparation - The self learning Test Preparation, FPSC Patrol Officer Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus | MCQS | Test Preparation, NAB Ordinance-1999 MCQS for Assistant Director Test-2020, NTS Junior National Saving Officer Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus| MCQS | Papers, Because Sami and Arif arrived at the bus station before noon, While he waited at the train station, Atif realized that the train was late. Note: Dependent clauses such as those above cannot stand alone as a sentence, but they can be added to an independent clause to form a complex sentence. We now know that the panda was fat, that he ate quickly, and that the corn was buttery! 11.I don’t like tea. In other words, there is only one subject doing one thing. Not all simple sentences are short. 3.He doesn’t teach math. } 8.She swims every morning. Example: Asad waited for the bus. She finished all the exercices. An old lady walked with her cat. a.they never have more than one subject or more than one predicate, TRUE or FALSE: Some simple sentences have more than one independent clause. Here, the subjects are orange and the verbs are green. Here, the modifiers are gray. You can have a simple sentence with only a simple subject and a predicate, using only two or three words, like this: Though only two or three words, these are all independent clauses, so they work on their own as complete sentences! Compound Verbs and Compound Subjects – Some sentences have a single subject and two or more verbs. Adding modifiers or multiple direct objects can extend the length of the sentence. forms : { Here, the subjects are orange and the verbs are green. A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause and dependent clauses . Who? Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a6fdab9e2a081be913c9c04f3a4d084f" );document.getElementById("deb79f9f70").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I enrolled to the pilates course. George brushes her teeth twice a day. … Tomorrow early morning first I go to morning walk. In fact, an independent clause itself is a simple sentence! Although a simple sentence can be a single word, it can also be much longer. Let’s start with a simple sentence: The fat panda quickly ate the buttery corn. Example sentences related to simple past tense, 20 Sentences in Simple Past Tense; Two boys played with a ball. Required fields are marked *. PPSC Zilladar Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus | MCQS Preparation | Past Papers, FPSC Appraising/ Valuation Officer Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus | MCQS | Guide, FPSC FIA Assistant Director Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus | MCQS | Guide, PPSC Assistant Punjab Police Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus | MCQS |, FPSC National Saving Officer Jobs-2020 Test Syllabus | MCQS | Paper. 2. How you can tell the difference? Dependent and Independent clause interchangeably come first. As mentioned, simple sentences are the shortest possible complete sentences. 9.I don’t wash the dishes. 6.My brother takes out the trash. As you can see, even though some of these sentences are long, each only has one subject and one verb (one clause). They bought 2 tickets for the U2 concert. Here some examples: 1. } callback: callback Sometimes, they also include other words, like objects and/or modifiers. 7.The course starts next Sunday. The college gave her a scholarship because she is so smart. The cat and the dog yowled and howled, respectively. It smells very delicious in the kitchen. I ate dinner. What? (Comma used), FPSC Custom Inspector-Descriptive Test (English) Guide | 2019, Subject-Verb Agreement | Descriptive Writing| 2019. 3. All sentences have an independent clause, but all simple sentences have ONE independent clause. There are two different types of simple sentence. The dog barked and ran (Compound verb) 2. Examples: Go. I ate. It has just one independent clause, which means only one subject and one predicate. He loves to play basketball. They make the sentences more informational than they would be without objects. }); (Compound noun) 3. A simple sentence can be very short, but some are long too, so long as they only have one subject-verb combination. An independent clause has a subject and a predicate and makes sense on its own as a complete sentence. How? Objects are usually nouns or pronouns that answer questions like “who,” “what,” “where,” and “when?” Here, the objects are purple. Bark! I ate dinner with my brother and sister. Let’s start learning….. A simple sentence has the most basic elements that make it a sentence: a subject, a verb, and a completed thought. window.mc4wp = { 5.Every child likes an ice cream. Subject= Asad Verb= waited and complete thought of the sentence. (Compound verb) 5… The sentence has a subject and verb, and it stands by itself as a complete idea. Fly. One of those sentence is compound, and one of them is complex. 28 Examples of Simple Sentences in English My brother’s dog barks a lot. Sentence formation is one of the key ingredients to good writing. Other sentences have a single verb and two or more subjects. 4.Cats hate water. If dependent clause come first, a comma ( , ), If independent clause come first, a comma ( , ). (Compound noun) 4. When you start adding more independent or dependent clauses to a sentence, you get a compound, complex, or compound-complex sentence. 4. So, you can see that the highlighted objects answer the questions above. })(); Sentences: Simple, Compound, and Complex, A common weakness in writing is the lack of varied sentences. Examples of compound sentences include the coordinating conjunctions & Independent clauses: Note:  Coordinating conjunctions (but, yet, and, or. Jack and Jill went up a hill. He gets up early every day. Modifiers can make sentences much more interesting. Take a look at the extra words in these examples: So, a simple sentence can use lots of modifiers and objects to add details, while at the same time only describing one subject doing one thing. Michael … For example: 1. Sentence formation is one of the key ingredients to good writing. Dr Smith healed the patient. Simple Sentence; A simple sentence has the most basic elements that make it a sentence: a subject, a verb, and a completed thought. (function() { A modifier is an adjective or adverb that “modifies” other words in a sentence to make it more descriptive.