Press together until a dough is formed (do not over knead), shape into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Add the eggs and mix on low speed until the eggs are incorporated. https://kitchenbliss.ca/lemon-ricotta-blintz-cheesecake. Required fields are marked *. « The big launch is almost here – announcing Footsteps Italy! It’s been a few years since I’ve sat in a math class, but I do have some memories. Hope you have a delicious day! 4. Subscribe now and receive our e‑Cookbook: A Tavola - Gatherings and a 10% discount code to shop at our new online store! Here’s what you’ll need to make this ricotta pie recipe: Pastry flour; … Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Filed Under: Dolci, Featured, Food, Islands of Italy, Recipes, Regions of Italy, Sicily. Is the dough coming up the sides….it looks like it in the photo but I’m not sure (if it’s just going on the bottom). According to Clifford Wright’s website, ‘cassata was early on a springtime cake traditionally made as an Easter specialty by the monastery nuns or for Purim by Sicilian Jews. Required fields are marked *. Carefully place the crostata on top of the baking sheet. It’s a dough that’s like a giant sugar cookie. In a large bowl, beat together the ricotta and sugar until smooth. 2. Cool, dust with cinnamon and serve! The filling is quite Sicilian — my father was Sicilian and I’ve been thinking about him pretty often since he died. Receive all the latest recipes directly in your inbox. Sicilian cooking, ricotta pie, Sicilian dessert, ricotta. A sweetened pie crust is filled with a creamy, lemon scented ricotta filling. 1. Fold the egg whites, espresso, lemon zest, and vanilla into the ricotta mixture. If some of the dough breaks while you press it into the tart pan, not a problem. Sort of like my immense love of PIE! She says that all of these recipes should be paid for, so there you go! PT1H40M. Some more pie inspirations for the pie lovers: Welcome to Pi(e) Day hosted by Terri from Love and Confections! Thanks for the quick reply. In Sicily, you would find this filling made with either chocolate chips or with candied fruit (i.e. Knead until smooth – about 30 seconds or so. I go weak in the knees when I think of this dessert and ever since spending time in Sicily, have added it to my own basket of Easter traditions. But here are the basic steps to making this. I also kept the sugar to a minimum but if you like your desserts sweeter, feel free to add in more sugar. Bake an additional 30 - 45 minutes, until crust is golden and a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean Spray an 11-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom with baking spray. We were all so happy with this recipe! In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until fluffy. Here’s what you’ll need to make this ricotta pie recipe: As always, I’ve included detailed instructions on how to make this Italian ricotta pie in the recipe card below. Once the dough comes together, shape into two discs and chill for 1 hour. the same filling you’d find in an incredible cannoli). The rim of the tart should be lined with a slightly thicker layer of pastry than the bottom (about 1/4-inch thick). Alternately, if making the dough by hand, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. I have salted butter in the fridge, do you think this would alter the taste much? Pour the filling gently into the crostata. There are many versions of this pie. It’s a dough that’s like a giant sugar cookie. Pi is an non-repeating, infinite number represented by the Greek letter π, and used to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. This was absolutely sensational! And even better that you described it as ‘sensational’! If using a food processor, pulse the ingredients until a ball forms. 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), chilled and diced into small piece. 5. In the past, I have made it more in the form of an actual pie but this year opted for a larger version – almost a cheesecake. Cut off any excess dough around the top. Return the tart pan to the fridge and chill for 30 minutes. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Hope that helps….Michele, Michele, this pie looks great! Next add the butter and pulse a few times until the mixture looks like wet sand. I want to make it! Mom’s Sicilian Ricotta Pie My mother’s ricotta pie is the dessert that I associate with my childhood. The dough recipe is measured in grams, so break out your scale and measure your ingredients. 3. For me, Easter is not complete without a slice of ricotta pie. Add the egg and yolk and process a few seconds more until the dough forms (this should be about 5-7 more pulses, no more than that should be necessary). Sicilian ricotta pie has two components: the pie crust and the sweet ricotta filling. A slurry made with cornstarch and cream is then added and the mixture is … Pi Day is celebrated every March 14 by math fans around the world – and also bakers and pastry chefs. Here’s what you’ll need to make this ricotta pie recipe: As always, I’ve included detailed instructions on how to make this Italian ricotta pie in the recipe card below. This Sicilian ricotta pie has a sweet filling that tastes like the center of a cannoli. Is it baked in a 10″ springform pan? 1 hour 40 minutes, plus resting time for the dough. Sicilian ricotta pie, followed by some tips and tricks I think you’ll find useful: Make the pie dough using a food processor. How cool is that? I would like to add some lemon flavor to the filling. The filling is quite Sicilian — my father was Sicilian and I’ve been thinking about him pretty often since he died. 2 cups all-purpose flour. Pour the filling into the chilled shell. Sicilian Ricotta Pie. If using a food processor: In the bowl of the food processor combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Dust your dough and work surface with more flour if it sticky. Michele. Shield edges of crust all the way around with foil and place pies in the oven. This recipe is easy to make and is the perfect Easter dessert! In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until nice and fluffy. If too dry, add the water tablespoon by tablespoon until the dough comes together. Your email address will not be published. Pi Day is celebrated every March 14 by math fans around the world – and also bakers and pastry chefs. As tempting as it is to cut this ricotta pie while it’s still warm, it’s best enjoyed at room temperature. 2. If mixing by hand, mix all ingredients with your hands until the dough comes together. To make the ricotta pie filling, first mix together the egg yolks and sugar. The Sicilians love their ricotta desserts – from the  infamous Sicilian cassata to the heavenly cannoli. Once the ricotta is ready, it’s combined in the processor with eggs, sugar, orange zest, vanilla and lemon extracts. Please note that the nutritional information provided is approximate and may vary according to exact portion size. Pour in the ricotta mixture, then roll out the remaining piece of dough and place on the filling. Your email address will not be published. 1/3 cup sugar. Now, it wasn’t me that came up with the idea to bake a pie on March 14th for Pi Day, but it sure was a great idea. For the dough, I used a simple ‘pasta frolla’ or pastry dough that comes together in about 30 seconds in the food processor. Dust lightly with cinnamon and bake for 55 minutes until golden. Press the dough softly into the bottom of the tart pan. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and rotate pies if needed so they cook evenly. Keep the dough as thin as possible. Shape into a dough as above. Press the sides of the dough about 1/2 inch up the side of the tart pan. Enjoyed at Easter time or any time of year! The first ten digits of Pi are 3.141592653 (3/14/15, 9:26 AM and 53 seconds). My name is Michele and together with my brother, Joe, grew up as children of wonderful first-generation Italian-Americans in Phillipsburg, New Jersey, a small town on the Delaware River that saw a large influx of Italian immigrants in the early 20th century. Ingredients: For the dough (pasta frolla): 1 whole egg. Ricotta Recipes. You’ll notice that I’ve now added a ricotta category to my recipe index. Looks delicious! In a large bowl, mix the ricotta with the two egg yolks and sugar. Victoria's Sicilian ricotta pie recipe is subtly flavoured with orange zest, lemon zest and a touch of cinnamon for a little fragrant warmth. Bake for about 40-50 minutes at 375 F, or until the crust is golden brown. This Sicilian ricotta pie has two components: the pie crust and the sweet ricotta filling. Best eaten the first day but makes a lovely breakfast the next day. Commonly enjoyed at Easter time but definitely not exclusively, at least not for me! Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a 1/4 inch thickness. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), chilled and diced into small piece, 3 pounds ricotta, drained well if store bought, 1/2 cup sugar (use 3/4 cup if you like your desserts sweeter). If there was a lot of salt in the recipe, I would say to just decrease the amount but unfortunately there is only a pinch. Crimp the edges as desired. It’s my mother-in-law’s recipe, and she doesn’t like to share her recipes. Dump out the dough from the food processor bowl onto a lightly floured counter. Place all filling in a large bowl and using a wooden spoon stir until well combined. Hi Maryann – I would use the zest of 1/2 a lemon to give subtle flavor but not overwhelm…good luck! Serves 8–10. Cool completely and dust with confectioners sugar, if desired, before serving. It’s wonderful to fill with whatever you like and it’s very, very Italian. I’m confused about unwrapping the dough into the pan. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a6d14def902b2a73577209563b09164e" );document.getElementById("eb5109348d").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Roll out the remaining piece of dough to 1/8-inch thickness Cut out 5 strips and place them 1 inch apart on top of the filling. Zest of 1/2 lemon. Simply enter your email address and name below. Trim edges of all strips flush with edge of shell. . Watch how easy it is to prepare! The gluten-free pastry is very simple to make, and has a wonderfully delicate texture. Flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. At the same time, I’ve added yet another ricotta recipe to my ever growing list. Apple and Onion Braised Turkey Tenderloin (Paleo, Whole30). When the dough is chilled and ready to fill, remove the tart pan from the refrigerator and prick the pastry bottom with a fork a few times. For the filling: 3 pounds ricotta, drained well if … This value is actually shortened to 3.14, and goes on and on and on. Pour the ricotta filling evenly into both pie pans. Nancy, Hi Nancy…I used a 9″ springform pan for the recipe. Cassata was so delicious and seductive that as late as 1574 the diocese of Mazara del Vallo had to prohibit its making at the monastery during the holy week because the nuns preferred to bake and eat it than pray.’ Hey, I get it. 1 egg yolk. Flatten it out with a spoon or a spatula. How to prepare Mom’s Sicilian Ricotta Pie…