I've had a great experience with Telus. Once for 1 year I was getting only 25 mbps on my 40 plan. I think there must still be a problem with your Telus line somewhere. Pricing has stayed consistent with no surprises. The only exception is the slower speeds, but I guess that is within their range posted for turbo. Haven’t had to call their tech support but we did call in to try and get another promo after our last one expired and they were pretty good to deal with. I switched because I had slow internet. Telus all the way, much more stable in my experience. Running the same test in Edmonton, I get much better results. They offer the shaw 150 for $70, 75 for $55, 25 for $38 and 5 for $24. Said I couldn't have slow internet if I had downloaded that much. For myself, Telus has far exceeded the advertised speeds, while Shaw is a complete flop at 50% of advertised speeds. Have you had any experiences with ISPs such as Primus or Teksavvy? The upload speed is better on Telus, but only if you have fiber connectivity in your area. Now all service and repair was included in your monthly bill and you would never see an unexpected charge. They called me back today, and it seems like it is fixed (I had it fixed 3 times yesterday, so we'll see). Shaw gives discounts. If not, go with Shaw. I have zero complaints about Shaw's service. Speed tests were giving me 0.5 mbps. I called and had them look at it. Shaw had consistent speeds for a while for the past few years, but now my internet is so slow. Well, so far I am pretty impressed with TELUS. That said, I've got not complaints with Shaw these days - and that's worth something right there. If you are still not happy switch to teksavvy. do a line quality test and show is the results please. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise. Looking at top providers, TELUS was the fastest mobile operator in Canada in Q2-Q3 2019 with a Speed Score™ of 69.61, a 16.8% improvement over the same period the year before. If Shaw is stable in your neighbourhood then VMedia will be as well. Shaw's plans tend to offer higher upload and download speeds. On site visits are never charged. I have both, Telus (100) at home and Shaw (150) in a now rental, So far I find Telus to be far more stable and doesn't ever slow down, I haven't tried the new 150 from Shaw as I bumped it up for the tenants but I suspect it would still have periods where it slows down. 3rd time they will call and suggest a different package. Shaw dispatched a 3 techs before they found out our neighborhood was saturated. Went from Shaw to Telus a few years back. Shaw always sends techs out now. However since I had used more than 5 GB that month Shaw wouldn't do anything. The worst was once when it took a few weeks for them to complete some upgrades for me to get my full upload speed. Such BS. I told them the above story and the agent stopped trying to save the account. Shaw vs TELUS - High Speed Internet Comparison I currently have both SHAW and TELUS, as I was going to switch to TELUS, but my testing has made me … It will be the first hop after your router or computer. I wholeheartedly agree, although it's spelled TekSavvy. I believe Telus enforces a cap on their customers, so if you past a certain about of bandwidth they will start charging you money for it. One of the 3rd party resellers would be on my list first. They’re both pretty hit and miss with some stuff, but I have the Telus 150/150 plan and it works fine 90% of the time. It depends. Shaw still doesn't like you using more bandwith than you are supposed to. For Telus I don't think that is the case. I had Telus, then switched to Shaw because Telus couldn't offer the speeds I needed for work. I've been a customer for well over a decade. Edit: Cool, down votes for stating facts. However since I had used more than 5 GB that month Shaw wouldn't do anything. The Shaw Open wifi network they have in a billion places tips the scales for me. Interesting, yeah the whole contract thing is a little odd to me. It slows or outright craps out a few times a month. Telus, great customer service and continuous promos. Thinking about making the switch from Shaw to Telus for internet service to save some money. For people who've made the switch from Shaw to Telus internet, what's your experience been like? A tatical discount if I ever saw one. 01-29-2017, 04:39 PM #2: Finger Cookin. Telus 150 is 150 down and up. I forget when but there was a voyuntry wide uproar with many people complaining about Telus and their extra billing. But that seems to be the only way to go right now. Although that is with the 6Mb plan. Also depending on where you live you could experience quite noticeable drops in download speeds during busy evening and weekend times with Shaw. What is odd with your ping test is that from the west coast there was no loss but the east coast there was loss. Shaw ran a campaign saying thry were doing away with on site fees. Most areas of Calgary do not have this yet. You will not see Shaw being able to match TELUS' upload speeds for any comparable packages with similar download speed offerings. Telus is much faster and more reliable. True, however SHAW is not giving me any packet loss, where TELUS is giving me anywhere from 1% - 5% packet loss. Shaw did give me a deal recently for even faster internet, free basic cable for a year all for the same price I … If we think about Internet plans only based on speed, we’re missing half the picture – bandwidth! I could tell it was slower than my Shaw 5 connection but since Shaw wouldn't fix my connrction it was faster than my poor speed connection. I am moving back to Calgary next month from Priddis, and will be getting high speed internet for the first time in 6 years (yay) The area I am in can get Telus 50 and shaw 50, but who is better to go with? It was also when Shaw was 5 mbps down and telus was 1.5. They guy who called me said that they actually had to change some back-end things, which is impressive to me because all that SHAW ever does is tell you to reboot your modem!. The Shaw family can go fuck themselves. Why not go to a third party distributor if you're looking to save money? Said I couldn't have slow internet if I had downloaded that much. Telus by far. Having 150mbps upload is great for cloud based stuff like icloud, server backups, etc. Tech came out to fix it. Well to be fair, wireless is generally not the fault of an isp. I tried once switching from Shaw to Telus and it was horrible. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. For Telus, this is the 50mbs plan, connected over 5G WiFi which is about 30 feet from the modem; For Shaw, this is the 150mbs plan, connected direct to WAN. Shaw: Higher available speeds, at least 1 period a month where the internet down for hours, the non-stop plan rate increases (it felt at least twice a year), and less than helpful tech support after a long hold. See what they give. That is less than 1/10th the upload speed on Shaw. or is there really no difference. Check out VMedia. Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community, Send a private message to Bend it like Bourgeois, Find More Posts by Bend it like Bourgeois, Calgarypuck Forums - Unofficial Calgary Flames Community. That sucked. Theyre always like an hour wait on the phone! Run that for an hour and see how many dropped packets you get. I must be one of the lucky ones Shaw has been rock solid and always over 150 /15. Speed tests were giving me 0.5 mbps. I currently have both SHAW and TELUS, as I was going to switch to TELUS, but my testing has made me seriously reconsider this. That and its rock solid with no slowdowns. Ask each to qualify your address. I always randomly lose internet connection with shaw (sometimes for hours and sometimes for minutes), with Telus I never lose internet connection. They backbone off Shaw and they are about half the price. Ping times will generally be much better with TELUS and especially so if you're on a fiber connection. Depends on your neighborhood more than anything. So to conclude I was once treated poorly by Shaw, switched, Telus was worse so I switched back. Since then I have seen Shaw shift how it deals with customers and it was always for the better. I'm also in Edmonton and I too get pretty good results. What I read from that is that your local connection is fine but to the east coast the route is saturated, Have you done a ping test for an hour or so to your ERX? I've been happy with Shaw where I am for more than a decade, there were a few times I wasn't getting my proper speed but they were always addressed. If I were going to switch away from Shaw, I would not be going to Telus. Help - adding an extra electronic door lock ... How do the bad guys know whatever I am doing on this computer. I've got their PureFibre service with 150 Mbps up and down and whenever I'm downloading...uhhh...Linux ISOs....I always get those speeds (usually a bit higher). If the rate increases were to improve service or provide a better customer experience, that would be understandable but it seemed like they kept cutting costs (labour and tech) and bumping up charges to line their own pockets. Here are the results. I just can't afford to keep up with their prices anymore. I cancelled Shaw as I was tired of the internet constantly cutting out. Telus has higher upload speeds usually, Telus is more consistent speeds, both will try to rip you off after the promo period, 90% of your decision should be on price, if you know how to chat with retention I found Telus much easier to negotiate with, if you're not the type save yourself the hassle and just go with an third party like teksavvy or cancom. If you have Telus Fibre,go with that. Telus treats dsl data like cell phone data so they charge you for each gig over you use. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Promotions maybe, customer service not so much. Changes. If I ever get fedup with Telus, I would rather go to Teksavvy over Shaw. I think if you can get Telus 150 it is hands down the best choice. But 2 months after I get a $150 bill for fixing inside wiring. Bell was second with 68.59 (up 17.5%) followed by Fido at 59.35 (30.3%), Rogers at 54.01 (31.8%), Vidéotron at 40.88 (8.8%) and Freedom Mobile at 29.05 (25.1%). Once we went 2 days without phone cable or tv. Shaw hasn't been perfect for me the entire time either. I worry about reliability with third party ISPs. But the first time you fo it Shaw doesn't do anything. I tried once switching from Shaw to Telus and it was horrible. I'm using roughly 15 TB per month at ~150 Mbps symmetrical and it only costs me $75 a month. The day after I cancelled my Shaw I got a call from them wondering why I left. If they can fix the packet loss, then I will stay TELUS, but the reliability of TELUS at this point in time, is pretty bad for my house/area. All good. Also known as, the amount of data that can be transferred in a given moment. We switch back and forth. Shaw was always instantaneous for me, light years ahead in customer service. I get 330/340 on Telus and 338/28 on Shaw. Since it would require a build out there was nothing to do to fix it. The Shaw test will be slower for sustained downloading, because you won't get the benefit of powerboost. In the past 10 years I have never been refused an onsite visit by the call centre. They offer cable packages which are actually managed by Shaw. Tell me again how Shaw is faster? No overage fees. This also ment if I switched to Telus again I would get a 15 mbps and it would cost $5 a month more. Most recent switch to shaw has been a pain. I pay $100/month but it's because I need fast speeds to work from home. They gave me $20 per month off my bill for 2 years as compensation. Speed vs. Bandwidth. I get 150MBps DOWN AND UP.