Add tofu pieces then stir gently to combine. Have a bowl of cold water ready and rinse cooked buckwheat noodles well so all the sticky stuff is … from our home in Chicago, while our shiba pups eat the kale stems that fall on the kitchen floor. In a bowl or a plate, assemble the noodle salad with soba noodles, vegetables, hard-boiled eggs, and shredded roasted seaweed. Buckwheat noodles (soba) form the base of this dish. 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles or brown rice noodles (check label to ensure gluten-free*) 1 head of broccolini (or broccoli), thick stalks removed and cut into florets . Whisk together tamari, lime juice, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, neutral oil, Sriracha, maple syrup, garlic powder and fresh ginger. Alternatively, you can steam or blanch the broccoli in a separate pot or using an Instant Pot. Never cooked soba noodles? Don’t forget to set a kitchen timer for the time listed on the package. Serves 4. On a mission to find the perfect summer-appropriate noodle fix, we’ve now eaten our way through many bowls of noodles. So we encourage you to cut yourself some slack in the kitchen and just dump the tofu directly in the marinade. The Soba Noodle Salad can be served warm or cold, which gives you a lot of flexibility with prep. Strain noodles and rinse thoroughly with cold water to stop the cooking process. Regarding the spice factor, I used a whole teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes because I LOVE very spicy food, but for most people, a half teaspoon will be sufficient. Your email address will not be published. Start by making the sesame marinade. These are the noodles I usually choose (I also like these) – they still have the buckwheat’s yummy flavor, but they’re easier for tossing in a soba noodle salad like this one. Bring an unsalted pot of water to a boil and cook the soba noodles according to package directions. Soba noodles come from Japan, which is where Jack and I fell in love with them. Happy Monday! It's really all about the delicious dressing! Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the avocado slices and add to the bowls along with the snap peas, edamame, radish, mint, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. this sounds amazing. Meanwhile, combine the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in a large bowl. Thankfully, Anguel feels the same way. Yum! If you're gluten free use gluten free soba noodles, I like, Tips to use every part of the vegetable -. Toss the carrot, cucumber, and noodles with the dressing until well coated. Vegan, Gluten-Free . You can always multiple varieties at Asian grocery stores; but luckily, buckwheat noodles are mainstream enough that most standard grocers carry them too. It was delicious, but as we mopped our foreheads and made an outfit change back at home, we knew there had to be another way. Garnish with extra green onions, toasted sesame seeds and/or red chili flakes if desired. Enjoy! For more vegan recipes, check out this post! Taste and adjust sweet, heat, tang(lime). Berries, Summer, Pies/Tarts, 10 Ingredients or Less, Breakfast, Vegan, Drinks, Gluten-Free, Snacks-Sides, Kale, Banana, Ginger, Citrus, Superfood, 10 Ingredients or Less, Spring Roll Salad with Peanut Glazed Tofu. It’s spicy, a little sweet, a little tangy, and bursting with flavor. Made with buckwheat flour, they have a wonderful nutty flavor and slick, soft texture. However, if you are ultra-sensitive to bitter food, I recommend steaming the tempeh for 10 minutes before pan-frying it. Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl. We hope you enjoy! Cut the kernels from the cobs; set aside. Also, I used soba noodles, but you can use another type of noodles, such as brown rice noodles, rice noodles, or spelt noodles. This helps to remove starches that cause clumping. This is delicious! If you can, pick noodles that have a short ingredient list. You can bring that nutrition fact up anytime someone insists that a vegan diet can’t provide enough protein! To assemble the salad, toss the cooked noodles with the Spicy Ginger Sesame Cream. However, many commercial varieties of soba noodles are made with part buckwheat flour, part wheat flour and are therefore not gluten-free. All you really need is buckwheat flour and water. To make the Spicy Ginger Sesame Cream, place all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Chill for 15 mins. I served it warm when I first made it, and then ate leftovers both cold and hot. Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, tamari, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and honey. But if you prefer to cook it first, by all means do your thing. It also keeps well during the week, which is a total win for our lunch game. I love cold soba, and with temps poised to start climbing any minute now, I’m about to be looking for more non-hot meal options. Toss the noodles with the dressing and divide into 2 to 4 bowls. Mix thoroughly and chill until served. Shake off excess water, then transfer cooked noodles to a bowl. Pasta, ramen, udon, vermicelli...I don’t discriminate, I’ll take them all. Garnish with extra green onions, toasted sesame seeds and/or red chili flakes if desired. Alternatively, add all of the ingredients except for the water in a medium bowl and whisk until well incorporated; add the water gradually, whisking to thin. Note:-*For gluten-free soba noodles, be sure to read the labels. Cook soba noodles. When your noodles are ready, drain them in the sink and rinse them thoroughly with cold water to remove starches that cause clumping. In the bottom of a medium bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette: lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, sesame oil and sambal oelek. Makes a great packed lunch. All rights reserved. Tempeh is another one of my favorite foods, though for some reason, I don’t eat it very often (I am trying to change that with this delicious recipe)! I used udon noodles because I coudln’t find soba noodles. Gluten-free options are usually made from 100% buckwheat flour. It’s made with nutrient-rich whole foods, tastes incredible, and is easy to make! When it’s not dressing this noodle salad, I also use it as a dipping sauce for spring rolls/dumplings/various finger foods (just leave out the water called for in this recipe). It's really all about the delicious dressing! Add the cooked tempeh, along with the edamame, carrot ribbons, radish slices, cilantro, scallions, and sesame seeds. Cook soba noodles according to direction, rinse in cold water. What happened to that thingie with the red center? Your email address will not be published. Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the avocado slices and add to the bowls along with the snap peas, edamame, radish, mint, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Use a clean dish-towel to pat tofu dry. Garnish with the sesame seeds. Back in law school, I didn’t have much time for elaborate cooking, but I did eat almost all of my meals at home. Drizzle with more tamari or sesame oil… Spicy Sesame-Cashew Sauce (recipe below) Pan-Fried Tempeh (recipe below) 1 ½ cups shelled organic edamame We usually eat this dish warm in the evening (just after we make it), but then eat it cold straight out of the fridge for lunch the next day. With a bright sesame dressing, fresh mint, avocado, snap peas & radishes, these soba noodles are so tangy and delicious! 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles or brown rice noodles (check label to ensure gluten-free*), 1 head of broccolini (or broccoli), thick stalks removed and cut into florets, 3 large carrots, peeled and shaved into ribbons, 2 watermelon radishes, sliced into thin strips. However, because 100% buckwheat noodles can be fragile and difficult to work with, you’ll often see soba that contains a mix of buckwheat and wheat flours. Make sure not to overcook them! Tofu doesn’t need to be cooked before getting eaten, it’s more just a flavor and texture thing. Once the water is boiling, add the soba noodles and broccolini (or broccoli) and cook according to the package instructions. Drizzle with more tamari or sesame oil, if desired. You just need a tiny bit of cooking oil, a hot pan, and some tamari or soy sauce! Make sesame-ginger scallion sauce. Traditional soba is made with only buckwheat flour and water, so it’s easy to make soba noodle recipes gluten-free: despite its name, buckwheat has no relation to wheat! Half a block of extra-firm tofu (6 oz / 175 g), 9 oz / 250 g buckwheat soba noodles (gluten-free optional)*, 3 carrots, cut into matchstick size pieces, 3 celery stalks, cut into bite sized pieces, For garnish (optional): Extra green onions, toasted sesame seeds, red chili flakes, 3 tablespoons tamari (or sub liquid aminos, soy sauce), 1 tablespoon neutral oil (e.g. Drain in a colander and rinse well under cold water and toss to remove some of the starch. Some soba buckwheat noodles are made with wheat flour, such as these noodles. Whisk in the olive oil. I will definitely make it again, thank you for sharing! One of my weekly meals was a tofu and noodle stir-fry that I made with soba noodles, a bag of seasoned frozen vegetables, and tofu marinated in Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce. This sauce is unreal. There’s a light sesame-ginger dressing that perfectly coats the soba noodles. What more could you ask for? How To Make Soba Noodle Salad. Finally, toss them with a glug of oil to keep them fresh until you’re ready to eat! These noodles are popular in Japan, and served either hot or cold. Toss noodles thoroughly in marinade. My new favorite recipe! Meanwhile, make the Pan-Fried Tempeh. We create & photograph vegetarian recipes I recommend using peanut butter only if you really love the taste of peanut butter because it has a more pronounced, less subtle taste than either cashew butter or almond butter. If you buy 100% soba/buckwheat noodles, they will be gluten-free, as buckwheat is a pseudo-grain that’s naturally gluten-free. Choose whichever you prefer, but know that buckwheat flour is gluten-free when many of the other fillers are not. Like finger-lickin’ good. While whisking, drizzle in the oil. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the tamari, brown sugar, garlic, and vinegar. With the sauce prepared, you are almost ready to enjoy the mouth-watering spicy soba noodle salad. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with the green onion and sesame seeds. Swap in cilantro or Thai basil for the mint. Cook the temeph slices, undisturbed, for 3-5 minutes, or until nicely browned. 1/2 English cucumber, cut in half and diced 1 bell pepper, diced 1/2 cup cooked broccoli 2/3 package package soba noodles (they typically come in 3 bundles) 1 TBS Toss the carrot, cucumber, and noodles with the dressing until well coated. Apple Coleslaw With A Creamy Citrus Dressing, Monday to Friday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm This Spicy Sesame-Cashew Noodle Salad is my grown-up version of that law school-favorite. Once the oil hot, add the tempeh slices in a single layer. can’t wait to try it! i have been experimenting with a lot more asian-inspired recipes. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with the green onion and sesame seeds. Soba noodles come from Japanes, whole grain noodles with an upscale , warming flavor. Buckwheat noodles are high in fiber so we find they’re more satiating than a comparable amount of pasta noodles. Growing up, we ate so many noodles that I was convinced they were their own food group. We tried a few variations, but this Soba Noodle Salad turned out to be our favorite. Place tofu into a dish, pour in prepared marinade and organize tofu pieces so they’re fully submerged. Drain. If you’ve never cooked soba before, there are a few things you should know before starting this recipe. In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, ginger, garlic, scallions, sesame seeds, lime juice and toasted sesame oil.