In the cause of furthering her research, she says, she asked her father to make her a Christmas present of “Barbarians at the Gate,” the story of the 1988 leveraged buyout and subsequent collapse of RJR Nabisco. Please log in, or sign up for a new account to continue reading. Checking back? High 46F. “If the question of the best man wins — if that’s such a central value, how do you reconcile that with concern for people who are going to be put in serious trouble by these actions?” Burgess observes. Thank you for signing in! Website photos by HudValley Photos, Talya Chalef, Chioke Nassor, Stephen Sanders and SPACE team members. Partly cloudy this morning, then becoming cloudy during the afternoon. She has been a writer-in-residence at SPACE on Ryder Farm and the Cape Cod Theatre Project. Other plays include Camdenside (Ground Floor selection, Berkeley Rep; Kilroys List 2015) and FAIL: Failures (ANT Fest). “It’s fun to work with people who help you get to something sharper.”. Other plays include Dry Powder, which was a nominee for the Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Comedy, a recipient of the Laurents/Hatcher Foundation Award and a finalist for the Susan Smith Blackburn Prize. Burgess is a member of the WP Lab and is an Ars Nova Play Group alum. Other plays include Camdenside and FAIL: Failures. Log in or sign up for a new account and join now to continue reading. “So I actually have nothing to compare it with! Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images And get this: the actors populating her story of soulless dealmakers who ruminate over buying a company and shipping its manufacturing operations overseas include “Homeland’s” Claire Danes, “The Office’s” John Krasinski and “The Simpsons’ “ Hank Azaria. Member of the WP Lab; Ars Nova Play Group alum. And finally, reflect on the fact that Sarah Burgess doesn't have to imagine any of this. Partly to mostly cloudy. You have permission to edit this article. Since I’m a playwright. Claire Danes, Hank Azaria Join John Krasinski in Off Broadway Play Dry Powder, Christopher Demos-Brown, Sarah Burgess Receive the Laurents/Hatcher Award, Sarah Burgess' SPACE developed play Dry Powder opened at the Public in March 2016, Mailing address: 34 Main St. | Goldens Bridge, NY 10526, Season location: 406 Starr Ridge Rd. Playwright Sarah Burgess attends "Dry Powder" Opening Night at The Public Theater on March 22, 2016 in New York City. “I was fascinated by the culture of the place,” she says, explaining that the idea of moral responsibility and the human consequences of the bankers’ complex, abstract business transactions seemed vibrant ones for a play. | Brewster, NY 10509. That, she says, was her first exposure to the universe of traders and hedge funds. Bio: Sarah's play Dry Powder premiered at the Public Theater in March of 2016. “I told her, ‘We’ve got to be sure that just because you’re surrounded by lovely, famous people, you still have to stick up for your play.’” It turned out not to be a problem. “I actually spoke to her about it,” Eustis says. Sorry, no promotional deals were found matching that code. We hope that you continue to enjoy our free content. Sarah Burgess is a playwright and writer for The Tenant (Woodshed Collective) and Naked Angels podcast series, Naked Radio. Which seems like the right thing to do. Sarah Burgess. Thank you for using NNY360! “She just isn’t that intimidate-able,” the artistic director asserts. If you have a subscription, please log in or sign up for an account on our website to continue. Her play Dry Powder was a recipient of the 2016 Laurents/Hatcher Foundation Award and a finalist for the Blackburn prize. Dry Powder was a recipient of the 2016 Laurents/Hatcher Foundation Award, and a finalist for the Blackburn prize. “I think I borrowed a cigarette from someone and sat on a bench.” As the high-powered creative team took shape, Eustis himself had some worries, about whether the writer could withstand the pressure of a rehearsal room in which she was the least experienced and known. Please purchase a subscription to read our premium content. Thank you for using NNY360! Wrong! She lives in Brooklyn.”. Several of her test-prep students worked at investment firms like Goldman Sachs. And finally, reflect on the fact that Sarah Burgess doesn’t have to imagine any of this. NEW YORK — Imagine you’re a struggling playwright, pecking away at scripts in writer’s colonies and downtown collectives, and a call comes from a top-of-the-line off-Broadway company to say that This issue coalesces in “Dry Powder” — a term referring to a firm’s monetary reserves to cover future deals — around the clash between two go-getting partners in the equity firm, Danes’ Jenny and Krasinski’s Seth, over how much to fret about the fate of the American workers in the luggage company they’re about to buy. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.. Sarah Burgess, a young playwright batting 1 for 1, Port of Oswego takes heat over its planned granary expansion, Oswego girls tennis team grateful for short season, PACS boys cross country team finishes third straight unbeaten campaign, Light Up Pulaski scaled back but still on, Public Record Oswego County Police Blotter, Pulled pork and chicken barbecue fundraiser, Stationary holiday parade planned for Dec. 4 in Watertown, Lewis County drive-thru COVID-19 test site will move to Maple Ridge on Monday, Report: Billy Fuccillo sells Florida home, dealership, Rainbow Motel in Pamelia destroyed by fire Monday; unclear what caused blaze, State police investigate Edwards property Tuesday; unconfirmed reports indicate cold case connection, St. Lawrence County declares state of emergency following continued COVID spike, 54 indicted for allegedly conspiring in ‘major’ drug rings after ‘Operation Heat Wave’ in Watertown. Bio: Sarah's play Dry Powder premiered at the Public Theater in March of 2016. (Azaria plays the firm’s lead partner, Rick.). Other plays include Camdenside (Ground Floor selection, Berkeley Rep; Kilroys List 2015) and FAIL: Failures (ANT Fest). Dry Powder was a recipient of the 2016 Laurents/Hatcher Foundation Award, and a finalist for the Blackburn prize. Burgess has been a writer-in-residence at SPACE on Ryder Farm and the Cape Cod Theatre Project. Sarah Burgess. “Dry Powder” opened to mixed but encouraging reviews, and Burgess, who’s already ruminating about the next world she wants to infiltrate dramatically — that of Washington lobbyists — seems to feel nothing but gratitude for what’s transpired. Her new play, “Dry Powder,” set in the offices of a Manhattan private equity firm, is a marquee attraction this spring at the Public Theater. “It’s my first production, period,” Burgess says, sitting recently in the Public’s second-floor bar and restaurant, the Library, which is otherwise empty at this hour of the morning. We hope that you enjoy our complimentary NNY360 content. Your current subscription does not provide access to this content. Low 34F. Thank you for using NNY360! (It was during a college semester in London, and a course that required her to go to the theater there, that her interests began to segue from a passion for Martin Scorsese and Spike Lee to one for writing plays.). Writer for The Tenant (Woodshed Collective) and "Naked Radio," Naked Angels' podcast series. She captures the language of that world perfectly.”, Worked on Wall Street? ©2020, GROVE ATLANTIC, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I’m writing the first draft of a new play about a private equity firm. For “Dry Powder” has propelled Burgess into the rarefied ranks of dramatists who break through in some of the highest-profile circumstances possible. “For me, it happens once a decade,” Eustis explains in a separate interview. Though she projects an air of placid nonchalance, no one in actuality is more gobsmacked by the turn of events than this daughter of naval officers who was born in Bethesda, Maryland, and raised in part in Alexandria, Virginia. Although Burgess had been performing all the tasks that young playwrights do — organizing readings, participating in playwriting groups — on the arduous road to securing a first production, she was shocked by the offer from Eustis. After finishing a degree in filmmaking at New York University in the mid-2000s, Burgess stayed on in New York City, earning her keep as a tutor for those preparing to take their graduate school admissions tests. NEW YORK — Imagine you’re a struggling playwright, pecking away at scripts in writer’s colonies and downtown collectives, and a call comes from a top-of-the-line off-Broadway company to say that it is interested in your play. “I was in a daze,” she says. Now imagine the company’s esteemed artistic director, in tandem with the director of Broadway’s latest musical mega-hit, decide to mount the play. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Sarah Burgess is from Alexandria, VA. Kings received its world premiere at the Public Theater in New York in early 2018. She has been a writer-in-residence at SPACE on Ryder Farm and the Cape Cod Theatre Project. Burgess is a member of the WP Lab and is an Ars Nova Play Group alum. “They really have been wonderful to work with,” she says of her Public Theater comrades. There are many things about this that are not typical for a first-time writer.”, To which Eustis might respond that there is nothing typical about Burgess, either. Since you viewed this item previously you can read it again.To enjoy all our content, join now! Welcome! We hope that you continue to enjoy our free content. I’ve been really obsessed with the idea of private equity recently, so, yeah, I’m writing a play about it. Promotional Rates were found for your code. We hope that you continue to enjoy our complimentary NNY360 content. Sarah Burgess’ new play Dry Powder, directed by Hamilton’s Thomas Kail, will receive its world premiere at the Public Theater next March 1. Then test the limits of your powers of imagination even further, with the notion that the actors recruited for the play are 1) the star of a hit espionage series on Showtime 2) the star of an NBC sitcom that has passed into legend and 3) the star who for years has voiced a variety of characters on a celebrated animated series on Fox. An Independent Literary Publisher Since 1917, Sarah Burgess is a playwright and writer for The Tenant (Woodshed Collective) and Naked Angels podcast series, Naked Radio. From Alexandria, VA. What is the project you’re working on at SPACE? Chosen by artistic director Oskar Eustis from the piles of unproduced scripts he reads each year, the play has been directed by none other than Thomas Kail, who shepherded to Broadway a little property by the title of “Hamilton.”. SARAH BURGESS Playwright. Support local journalism — join now! “My assumption was she had worked on Wall Street,” he says, “because she had an absolutely extraordinary ear. And given the profiles of those other participants, she also has on her hands a production running through May 1 that has been sold out almost from the get-go. “I read her play and immediately said, ‘We’re producing this.’”, Since the milieu of the 90-minute play is the insular world of private equity, with its own mores and vocabulary, Eustis naturally concluded Burgess had first-hand knowledge of it.