Our Sequential Writes Performance Consistency Test configures the device as a raw physical disk (after deleting configured volumes). File Transfers: Replay of storage access traces (Write-Only, Read-Write, and Read-Only) recorded during the transfer of data such as ISOs and photographs. From an overall perspective, the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD v2 and the WD My Passport SSD (2020) come out on top by a significant margin. We’ve updated our terms. CrystalDiskMark, despite being a canned benchmark, provides a better estimate of the performance range with a selected set of numbers. 'Duplicating Photos (Read-Write)', Prior to looking at the usage characteristics of the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD v2 and the WD My Passport SSD (2020), it is helpful to compare their specifications against other similar SSDs. If you’re entirely on the USB-C lifestyle, then this is just perfect. Flash-based storage devices tend to slow down in unpredictable ways when subject to a large number of small-sized random writes. I used to be a photographer that took a LaCie Rugged Drive with me everywhere: for many years, I loved those things. Based on our tests, the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD v2 effectively serves the needs of content creators who need to use it in the field (thanks to its carabiner loop, IP55 rating, and 2m drop protection). There's no LED activity indicator which is commonly found in HDDs. … It boasts a USB C port, so you can connect it to your computer or other devices using any translating cable you need. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. It is worth pointing out that if you are a user who has a PC that is equipped with a Thunderbolt/Type-C port, the SSD will give you much closer speeds to the claimed ones by SanDisk. Prying apart the two at the seam was relatively painless - in fact, it was the easiest portable SSD to take apart (out of all the ones that I had worked on earlier). That’s probably the worst part of the SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD. There's an orange metal lining that goes around the edges of the SSD which looks good. It seems easily construed as a familiarity aesthetic with previous generation pocket-sized portable drives. And that’s probably a good thing. We analyze each of these in detail below. The SN550 is available in retail under the WD Blue branding. There isn’t really much else to it here. Even though it was past warranty, SanDisk sent me a box to ship it back to them in and I promptly got a replacement unit, Actually, I wanted to insert an SSD into my laptop, but something went wrong, and I needed to buy the new one, so thanks for this review. @jeffkibuule I would budget for 1.5x the peak power consumption of all connected devices. The two products are packaged similarly and both come with short (15cm) USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C to Type-C cables. 'Photos Write', Performance . The read-write bandwidth recorded for each drive in the bf, cod, and ow access traces are presented below. The WD My Passport SSD (2020) is a better fit for the casual home / business user. Hook it up to your tablet, laptop, Mac, or PC, and it will just work. For the purpose of presenting results, we classify them under five different categories: PCMark 10 also generates an overall score, bandwidth, and average latency number for quick comparison of different drives. After careful analysis of various aspects (including benchmark numbers, temperatures, power consumption, and pricing), it is clear that the WD My Passport SSD (2020) and the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD v2 are both excellent choices for a wide variety of applications. That will run you around $350 on Amazon. An important point to note here is that each of the first three blue and green areas correspond to 15.6 GB of writes and reads respectively. In earlier reviews, we used to track the temperature all through. Inside the unit, we see that a thermal pad right across the M.2 SSD (in the Extreme v2 teardown) and another on the reverse side (in the My Passport SSD teardown). The sub-sections in the rest of the page reference the access traces specified in the PCMark 10 Technical Guide. 'Duplicating ISOs (Read-Write)', The SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD has a low profile design. In addition to helping remove the heat away, they also ensure that the boards are snug inside the enclosure and can withstand shocks and vibrations. We saw results from two popular ones - ATTO, and CrystalDiskMark - in a previous section. It is based on the new NVMe SSD format. Aspects influencing the performance consistency include SLC caching and thermal throttling / firmware caps on access rates to avoid overheating. You can stuff it into a book, a camera bag pocket, a bag sleeve, a jacket pocket, and even your pants pocket. @jeffkibuule I was talking about POE switches and cameras :) servers are a different deal, depends on what your alw… https://t.co/Kp8T1pzosL. The rest of the review also tackles another interesting aspect - does the same internal hardware lead to similar performance profiles for the two SSDs? Sandisk SSD review It's going to be a long day... @BShoppy @anandtech It didn't get pulled. Unfortunately, these access traces are not very common in real-life scenarios. It subjects the device to 23 GB of writes. These typically include NAS drives, USB sticks, memory cards, and other external storage devices. Other usage scenarios include the use of the DAS as a download or install location for games and importing files directly off the DAS into a multimedia editing program such as Adobe Photoshop. CDM_paths_0.push('

'); As evident from the screenshot above, the performance can dip to as low as 21 MBps for 4K random reads. The SN550 is available in retail under the WD Blue branding. In addition to tracking the instantaneous read and write speeds of the DAS when processing the AnandTech DAS Suite, the temperature of the drive was also recorded at the beginning and end of the processing. Instead, you need to bring that other cable around with you. var CDM_paths_0 = new Array('','','','','','','','',''); The SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD is even IP55 rated which makes it dust and water resistant. Gaming: Replay of storage access traces recorded during the start up of games such as Battlefield V, Call of Duty Black Ops 4, and Overwatch.