Let’s take a look at the often applied biblical passage in Philippians 4:13. 7Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.f, 8g Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. How do you get meaning from your Bible? 20To our God and Father, glory forever and ever. What’s more, we take things personally. Clearly, this tract is a note from Paul in which he states, “I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.”. Gn 8:21; Ex 29:18, 25, 41; Lv 1:9, 13; Ez 20:41) applied to the Philippians’ gift; cf. I shall say it again: rejoice!c I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. * [4:22] Those of Caesar’s household: minor officials or even slaves and freedmen, found in Ephesus or Rome, among other places. For example, I wear a distinctive crucifix which has the cross in silver and the corpus in gold. Copyright 2019-2020 USCCB, please review our Privacy Policy, On Fraternity and Social Friendship (Fratelli Tutti), Prayer Companion for Eucharistic Adoration. Acts 18:2–3). Copyright © A.D. 2018 Catholic Stand | Powered by Astra. After telling his audience that he’s experienced both poverty and affluence, the Apostle Paul writes these well-known words: “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”. He is a 4th degree Knight, is active in the Society of St Vincent de Paul, and several other ministries. h. [4:9] 1 Thes 4:1 / Rom 15:33; 16:20; 1 Cor 14:33; 1 Thes 5:23. i. Philippians 4:13 is one of the most well-known New Testament verses, but it’s also notoriously misused. I told her that we were, and if she checked the 6th chapter of John and then read the Last Supper accounts, she would see that while we eat the Body of Christ, we are not going out and killing people with lances and shrinking their heads. We see it on framed art, bookmarks and Bible covers. ©2020 United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, Explore more inspirational selections here. I am very well supplied because of what I received from you through Epaphroditus, “a fragrant aroma,” an acceptable sacrifice,* pleasing to God.l Philippians 4:13 “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Explanation and Commentary of Philippians 4:13. The meaning of Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through him who gives me strength”. 3Yes, and I ask you also, my true yokemate,* to help them, for they have struggled at my side in promoting the gospel, along with Clement and my other co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.b, Joy and Peace. I have rather felt for quite some time that Paul is not speaking with confidence as much as he is with contentment. The 12th and 13th verses help put it all in perspective. Over time, I came to realize that the words judge, judges, judging, judgment, and judgments must appear in excess of 500 or 600 times in the Bible. 10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that now at last you revived your concern for me. Live in Concord. Did we not drive out demons in your name? “I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.” (Philippians 4:13). In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need.I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.” (Philippians 4:12,13). I have finally learned to leave judging in the hands of God. The Lord is near.d 6Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God.e Learn how your comment data is processed. Following the meal, the waitress dropped off the check, on the rear of which she has written, “Have a blessed day, Philippians 4:13”. As a result, many people have experienced disappointment, for example, Stephen Curry, whose example you will find at the end of this article. 5Your kindness* should be known to all. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Your email address will not be published. Dan and his bride, his gift from God, have been married over 50 years, and they have recently moved to East TN to reduce the distance to family. Phil 4:5) in Phil 3:20–21. Following the meal, the waitress dropped off the check, on the rear of which she has written, “Have a blessed day, Philippians 4:13”. We see this Scripture on T-shirts and faith-related decor. Unfortunately, this way of interpreting and applying Philippians 4:13 couldn’t be further from its actual meaning. February 1, 2019. However, though this verse may be well known and often quoted, it is often pulled out of context. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB’s) mission is to encounter the mercy of Christ and to accompany His people with joy. 14Still, it was kind of you to share in my distress. Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 15You Philippians indeed know that at the beginning of the gospel,* when I left Macedonia, not a single church shared with me in an account of giving and receiving, except you alone. In an age of relativity there could me countless answers. b. Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?’ Then I will declare to them solemnly, ‘I never knew you. 15 You Philippians indeed know that at the beginning of the gospel, * when I left Macedonia, not a single church shared with me in an account of giving and receiving, except you alone. They use it to show others they can fulfill any desire they please through Christ and by faith. ZA Blog. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” comes from Philippians 4:13, but it is not an exact translation. 22o all the holy ones send you their greetings, especially those of Caesar’s household. Or someone “claims” it as a promise as they aim for success in a new business. Pingback: TVESDAY AFTERNOON EDITION – Big Pulpit, Your email address will not be published. We do not stop to research exactly what is said or pause to reflect on what is truly meant. Paraphrasing Paul a bit, he tells the Philippians that he has found that in humble circumstances, or in times of abundance, when well fed, or when going hungry, he says that he has found the strength for all in Christ who sustains him.